Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I've always wanted to go hunting but between multiple marriages, having kids, and working never got the chance. Now I'm in a pla

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I've always wanted to go hunting but between multiple marriages, having kids, and working never got the chance. Now I'm in a pla

I've always wanted to go hunting but between multiple marriages, having kids, and working never got the chance. Now I'm in a place in my life where I have the time but don't know where to start. My father was not an outdoorsman so I have no experience with guns and very little experience with archery except from high school. So where do I start?

I would suggest just hanging around a site like this. Read answers and stuff that interests you. If you are interested in say muzzleloading get a muzzleloader. Just do what you feel comfartable doing. I also reccomend subscribing to F&S and out door life, etc. Have fun!

Comment

find people who hunt-blogs like this are good-and don't be afraid to ask questions. it can be frustrating at first but keep at it. there are probably people on here from your area.

Comment

Take a hunters safety course. Learn to handle a firearm, then purchase the firearm of your choosing. Practice until you become proficient. Along the way people will most likely guide you into what you want to do.

Comment

Check out local gun and archery clubs and take a good hunter safety course. Act unsafe and people are not likely to invite you out again. Check out the state wildlife agency for the laws and seasons.

There are local sportsmen's websites out there (like, for where I live, michigan-sportsman.com), but you can spend a lot of money on bad advise so read and talk a lot before you do. If you are like many of us you'll end up with at least a couple of different rifles, shotguns, and bows before you know it.

And, once you figure out what you like to hunt, then consider joining organizations supporting that game animal, like Ruffed Grouse Society, Ducks Unlimited, Pheasants Forever, SCI, NWTF, RMEF, Etc. Then there is the NRA and USSA. Actually, I have found most of my hunting partners through the local chapters of these organizations.

If you can afford it, try a guide. They can teach you a lot.

And, before heading into deep woods, make sure you understand the basics of navigation and survival.

Oh! Please, get your kids involved! Enjoy the journey.

Comment

When I started out, it was at the library checking out books and reading articles online. I spents so many hours reading about it, because it just became an addiction. Next, I suggest asking anyone you know about hunting. I shot my first deer with a friend. Next im looking for my own land to hunt on. Good Luck!

Comment

I started off at the base rod and gun club. I first shot skeet and had a blast. I took off from there. I took a hunter safety course and I wanted to have the option to bow hunt in the future, so I took the archery certification. It was very a lot of fun and gave a lot of insight into hunting especially for the first timer.

Comment

Glad to see your interested in learning more about it. Hopefully you have a friend that hunts and can show you the ropes a little. One caveat, pick somebody who will be patient with you and help develop your interest. If you pick the wrong mentor it could ruin your interest. Find that person that enjoys working with others and enjoys other peoples success, it will make it a lot more enjoyable for you too. Ideas mentioned above are also good starting points. Good luck and welcome to the club.

Comment

Find some friends who hunt. When I moved to CO and wanted to get into elk hunting I started with some family who hunted and then moved up to friends who really knew how to hunt. Looking back, without knowing anything about elk hunting, I could not have done it without friends or family that had some experience. Maybe whitetail hunting out east is easy to do in an afternoon but mountain hunting is something only learned with a mentor.

Comment

Agreed with teufelhunden answer above and A + 1 for you sir!!!

Comment

Take Hunter safety course!

Comment

$$$

Comment

$$$

Comment

$$$

Comment

$$$

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad