Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is your favorite hunting dog breed and why

What is your favorite hunting dog breed and why

Labradore Retriever, they'll bring dove, ducks, geese, track deer, watch my back and my house.

Comment

I second the lab, maybe not the best at any one thing, but good at most all hunting tasks other than maybe treeing bears and cats. They make a great partner in crime and are always ready to go, no matter how early or late it is, unlike other hunting buddies who can't get their butts out of bed.

Comment

Got to be the lab. You have to ignore the possibility of hip dysplasia, cataracts, seizures, and tumors. Yet for single purpose I have had English pointers who were absolutely magnificent in the field but could care less about who owned them, just huntin machines.

Comment

Hate to sound like a broken record but I am with the rest of you on the Lab. Such a versatile dog and a great companion, can't go wrong.

Comment

Lab's probably the best all around hunting dog, family dog and property dog but I my favorite are Beagles. Grew up rabbit hunting with them as a kid and reading Snoopy comics. Been sold on them ever since.

Comment

I do love labs we raised several litters while I was kid that turned into great dogs but my favorite breed is Treeing Walker Coonhound. Mainly because my first couple of dogs were walkers but also because the sound of a hound on trail or tree sends chills down my spine every time.

Comment

Labs, they know how to hunt, they know how to love and they love to hunt.(and sleep)

Comment

even though mine doesn't hunt, I will always love a black lab for their loyalty and expressions. Many of my friends have them that do hunt and i've never seen a better dog in the field.

Comment

Fella's...I am torn. I have owned a few labs over the years. Great temperment, good nose, great with kids. But I feel it depends on what you hunt also. Lab or Ches for waterfowl...hands down. But I have to say, my springer runs circles around labs at the end of a long day of grouse hunting. The big labs dont have that endurance of the spanial for upland.

The Springer is also a very loyal dog...one man dog really. They love their "pack" but seem to pick a favorite. Very lovable and affectionate too. Highly intellegent and easy to train. (Mine will deliver BOTTLE beer to my buddies). Great body size for smaller homes.

In all fairness...my springer is not the water dog my yellow lab was. No breaking ice after ducks, etc. But goes nuts for grouse, woodcock and pheasants.

Just guessing, but that is probably why there are so many breeds of dogs. "Depends on what we are hunting" is the best answer.

Enjoy the day with your dog. That is what counts. Besides...either breed will not say "are you going to wear that hunting?".

Comment

Labradore Retriever!!!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad