Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

this happend to me about a two weeks ago me and my buddy were hunting we both had our 870s and were just sitting up aganit a tre

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• this happend to me about a two weeks ago me and my buddy were hunting we both had our 870s and were just sitting up aganit a tre

this happend to me about a two weeks ago me and my buddy were hunting we both had our 870s and were just sitting up aganit a tree we were hearing all this carshing around so we were ready when just about first light a doe came in at about 20 or so yards we sat there for a few minutes because we both thought the other one was gonna shoot finaly my buddy didn't have a shot because a tree was in his way so i got ready to shoot amied and then CLICK that deer was out of there, and to add insult to injury a six point ran after her. (we figure the crashing around we heard was the doe getting chased by the six point) i don't get it there was a indent in the primer like any other shot shell the gun smith says it wasn't my gun so it must have been a "dud shell" it was a remintion slugger shotshell anyone else had this happen?

Bad primers show up ocassionally. Thankfully not that often. I've had more show up in shotshells than anything else. The most embarassing one I had was while participating in a top end regional field trial competition. I had a box of popper loads and was to fire one at the apex of the decoy toss for each dog in the finals. The decoy was tossed and click, no bang, every eye in the arena was on me, even the dog! I called out that the shell was bad and we had a do over. As soon as the event was through seveal judges and that particular dog's owner came over to check out the "dud" shell. Just like yours, deep firing pin indentation... they each shook their heads and walked away...

Comment

I've gone through many boxes of sluggers and don't recall that happening.

Comment

It has happened to me shooting skeet, talk about being P.O.'d I was.

Comment

I had a box of Kents that every other one was bad, made for a horrible day of hunting. My buddy got his limit and mine while I almost tossed my gun in a fit of rage.

Comment

When was the last time you had the action apart. My 870 did the same thing and I found wear the locking lug locks into the top of the receiver, it was full of shotshell buffering, foam used in shot.

Comment

Sometimes that is reffered to as a hard primer. It happens, but not very often. Or if it is a new gun it could because of grease near the firing pin, or if it is an old gun it could just need a cleaning.

Comment

i take the action apart every time i clean it which is every time its shot, i took it to the gun smith to be sure and he looked it over and said he couldn"t find anything wrong with it

Comment

its werid because we both shot a few boxs the day before with no problems, we cleand them real good that night too so i don"t know what the deal is

Comment

my buddy had the same thing happen a few years ago you could clearly see where the firing pin hit the primer but no bang we took the gun apart and he had a 1/4 piece of bark that got down in the right place and was not letting the firing pin make full contact with the primer

Comment

It had turned out my firing pin broke, fortunately the club had spares.

Comment

That sucks. Ive had it happen with a .22 but not sluggers.

Comment

I'm surprised you didn't shoot the deer! I shoot a model 12 Win and they are famous for tossing the fired shell and the next shell out at the same time. When I hear a click, I just pump and shoot. A man's got to be ready for a little uncertainty in his life!!

Comment

at least you didn't forget to load your gun the final morning. first time i unloaded my gun the whole weekend was the night before and I forgot to load it in the morning. luckily nothing showed up other wise I wouldn't forgive myself.

Comment

I have had it happen in game loads before. usually not the slugs or higher end ammo. Even on game loads have only had a few.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad