Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I recently went through the "photos of the month" and one in particular caught my eye. It was a photo of a 5yr old boy who kill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I 5 year old may struggle to understand the respect of killing an animal, the guardian must have a deep conversation about why we hunt. I could really see that making a messed up kid if they aren't careful. I wouldn't be taking my kids out until they are at least 10.

Comment

Thanks 2POPPPA,

I really worry about all the electronic "babysitting" devices we utilize and thrive on now days. I'd like to make another point about something that bothers me greatly.

We hand kids these "video" games with thrive on all sorts of killing. Killing aliens, soldiers killing other soldiers, criminals killing innocent people. None of this is buffered in any way. I do believe we are desensitizing our young people. Yes, I saw Marshall Dillon gun down a bad guy when he had to, I also saw him let them walk...

Just what are we teaching our young folks with these games? Hopefully parents are providing some reality along the way...?

Comment

I DONT HAVE A PROBLEM WITH IT AT ALL.BUT I WAS TAUGHT ALITTLE DIFFERANT.I'VE BEEN HUNTING SINCE I WAS 6 WITH MY DAD AND I HAD SHOT ALOT OF 22'S BUT DIDNT CARRY A GUN TILL I WAS 8. POP WOULDNT SET THERE WITH ME AND COATCH ME ,TO BE QUIET OR NOT TO MOVE.HE WOULD SIT ME SOME CLOSE TO SOME HICKORY TREES AND LEAVE ME .OR SO I THOUGH HE WAS JUST UP THE HILL RIGHT OUT OF SIGHT. I KNEW WHAT I WAS SUPPOSE TO DO,DID I DO IT, NOT FOR A WHILE I WAS NINE WHEN I SHOT MY FIRST SQUIRREL.I GUESS WHAT IM TRYING TO SAY IS I SEE IT AS A SELF DISCIPLINE THING A CHILD WILL SIT THERE AND BE QUIET IF YOUR THERE TELLING THEM TO..BUT I YOU LEAVE THEM ALONE AND THEY SIT STILL AND ARE QUIET ENOUGH TO LET A ANIMAL COME IN CLOSE ENOUGH FOR A SHOT THEY ARE READY TO MAKE A KILL...ON THERE OWN...JUST MY OPINION THOUGH...GLASSMAN

Comment

I'm glad to see that my question caught some attention. Thanks for all the great responses. I'm all for getting our kids out there as soon as they are ready, I just have a hard time believing that a 5yr. old is ready for such an event as the shooting of a big game animal. But, I wasn't there and I don't know the child, maybe he's like beekeeper, and more than ready for it? Only the mentor/parent knows this. All I know is that I wasn't ready at 5yrs old. I was more than ready to be out there learning with my dad, and was, but not ready to fire a rifle at a deer. Also, like was mentioned in a couple of responses, I am a little suspicious that the child was not the one really hunting and this provides some unscrupulous "sportsmen" out there an avenue to expand their season illegally. Anyway, thanks again for all the great responses.

Comment

My gut feeling is that small-game is a better way to go to start things, but it should depend mostly on the kid, not what the law in your state says. In Minnesota, it's 12 years old. I'm not a real big fan of age-restrictive laws anyway (why can you get blown up by some Islamic nutjob in the middle east but not buy a beer in North Dakota?) The way things are progressing, my son might be ready in 2 more seasons to carry a shotgun for grouse.

Comment

Nope, that's just too young. Sorry.

Comment

sorry but im 12 and its my first season and i still havent got a deer
                5 is way too young they have to be grown up responsible, good gun handling, and by the way how could a 5 year old be with the recoil and the noise?

Comment

Yeah at age 5 I was totting around my granddads 22 and probably taking shots at all the local birds but to truly understand what it meant to take the life out of an animal there is no way I knew what that meant. I remember one time we were burning a fence row and a field mouse started to run away and I caught him and threw him into the fire and heard it scream it really changed the way I thought about things. Why take an animals life just because you can? Yes I am very guilty of shooting at squirrels while in my treestand but if and when I hit the little hard to kill sons of [email protected]#$% I take them home and if I am not going to eat them right away or I don't have 6 others in the freezer I will give them to someone that will. Does this child really understand what he accomplished? Was he there doing the scouting and the planning and the hanging of the treestands? Or was he just there to prove for his dad or mentor that they are able to put someone on deer? To answer the question I have never met a 5 year old that could be there to enjoy the whole hunting picture and I mean everything that it takes to harvest that animal...

Comment

Depends on the kid and on the parent. That's a lucky kid.

Comment

FIY guys. Ohio is a shotgun only state for deer. I am not against a 5 year old going hunting but pointing a gun at an animal and pulling the trigger? I believe very strongly that every hunter be very proficient with their weapon before shooting at an animal. How proficient can a 5 yr old be?

Comment

I strongly suspect that these stories of 5-year old children shooting deer are either total or partial fabrications. Photos sometimes apear in local newspapers with the father basking in reflected glory.

Comment

you can do that in wisconsin but the mentor has to be over 18. my 9 y/o neice is in it and she is getting to learn the ropes from her dad which is rele nice. but i cant imagine at 5 shooting a deer. i dont even know if the kid would appreciate the deer.

Comment

Some people aren't ready at certain ages, and some mentors aren't fit, but I'll take anything that helps the future of the outdoors. I'm an Ohioan nowadays and am a big fan of this program. It's helped me get people with limited time and resources into hunting. I have people begging me to take them. It gives me great satisfaction. I can never have my first hunt, but I can give that joy to others and I get immense joy from their joy.

Comment

Good point buckhunter. Many(most?) 5 y.o.s are barely if even proficient with the potty let alone a deadly weapon. Get'm out there, but that's no age for killing. Teach them about letting one go, hoping to get him next time.

Comment

I'm taking interest in this, buckhunter made a good point. How many 5 year olds have the "balls" to shoot a slug gun. Even if he was using buck shot, not many children his age can handle that kind of fire power. I'm a little bit skeptic. And I agree with steve, you can take your kids out in the woods with you, but unless they fully understand what it means to take a life, I suggest you don't shoot, just admire.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to SCOTUS in action!
                                  by Pmacc60
                                  Trouble here 99 is that it isn’t protected by the constitution with this courts decision ! However I feel about it or you for that matter , abortion...
                                  Today, 06:43 AM
                                • SCOTUS in action!
                                  by FirstBubba
                                  SCOTUS has overturned Roe vs Wade and Casey vs Planned Parenthood.

Hot time in DC tonight.
                                  The (d)'s just thought 1/6 was a big deal!...
                                  06-24-2022, 11:13 AM
                                • Reply to You guys are sleeping
                                  by Pmacc60
                                  I so agree and want to add that these politicians have no idea of what it took to form this republic ! They have no understanding of the trust we must...
                                  Today, 05:53 AM
                                • You guys are sleeping
                                  by fitch270
                                  Can’t believe I’m posting this first.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/rcna17721
                                  06-23-2022, 11:54 AM
                                • Reply to SCOTUS in action!
                                  by labrador12
                                  The Penumbra to rule them all, eh Snowhole! The Constitution spoke to that earlier Court and told them that contrary to all thought and morality, murder...
                                  Today, 02:02 AM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X