Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who makes the best pickup truck for huntin and fishin and why is it the best?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who makes the best pickup truck for huntin and fishin and why is it the best?

Who makes the best pickup truck for huntin and fishin and why is it the best?

The perfect truck is old, 4wd and extended cab with a v8 for pulling your boat.

Comment

I will have to stick with Dodge. I've been alot of places I had no business even trying to get to, and have never been stuck. It's a '96 4x4 with 120,00 miles and i drive it every day. My next new one will for sure be another Dodge.

Comment

Im gonna go with a chevy silverado Z71 its a 4x4 for getting far back in the woods and it can tow your boat

Comment

rrmont,
          120,000 miles? Your truck is still in diapers. Try 268,000 miles. FORD TOUGH!

Comment

i will have to go with bomberpride a chevy Z-71 is about as good as you can get. call me crazy but last week i had my new 2007 chevy avalanch 4x4, that hasnt even broke 50,000 off road and it went very good i was pleased.

Comment

When I lived down south decades ago I used CJ-7s, short Chevys, or the old little Ford Broncos all with headers, big knobby tires, and winches.
              Today in Wyoming I have a 2008 Chevy 3500 Crewcab Duramax Allison 4 x 4 long box. I pull a 22 foot 6500 lb Featherlight, tack and gear, and up to five 1000-1200 pound horses down the highway in addition to ascending and descending nasty mountain roads. It does a great job and so far has been trouble free. Near 20 mpg empty and 14 with the load. My wife ordered the truck for my 60th birthday complete with a card saying "Enjoy the pickup, when you reach 90 you will have a 30 year old truck, love"
              I really liked my Dodge Cummins but the Dodge part kept it in the shop a lot. It had to be towed in from the mountains four times in four years. The Cummins was flawless. The kid has a '06 GMC extended cab 4 x 4 short box which is great for hauling his dirt bikes and for negotiating the two track rodes in the mountains and desert where my "semi" doesn't fit so well. The main purpose for 4 x 4 in Wyoming is to keep your truck in the road on a bad day.

Comment

I failed to mention that the kid's pickup is a Z-71. We added Gibson Dual Extreme exhaust for more power and economy for his 5.3 gas V-8. He uses Goodrich Mud-terrains.

Comment

Thanks for the input. I have owned dodge, Ford (2) Chevy, Toyota and Isuzu. Toyota was the only brand that did not break. Now I have a Tundra 4 door and love it. My hunting buddy Billy has a 96 S10 Blazer with 320,000 miles that his kid is now drining in College and a loaded Hummer he is afraid to get a scratch on.

Comment

well the main thing here is you didn't mention what you planed on the main use for it. The best thing for towing is obviously some sort of diesel and if you want to 4 wheel then a little short wheel base Jeep or something. I primarily drive chevys and gmcs but I recently bought a dodge. It has less than 20000 miles on it so I am not an expert on it but my first truck was a dodge and I liked it couldn't kill it as a teenager so I went back. That and the unlimited lifetime warranty helps a lot. They are tough trucks.

Comment

buckhunter all the way! Ford tough baby, might not be the fastest thing or outpull some of the other makes. BUT I gurantee she'll get you out of the most intense,stickiest,mud bog swamp canals god or man has ever made. Ford is a GOOD overall long lasting truck. Them little rangers!!? OK, they keep chuging every day.

Comment

I think cpt brad hit the nail on the head. It depends on the use.

I am not brand loyal although I am biased toward detroit iron. Reliability is the most important aspect when buying a truck for me. The most reliable truck built today seems to be the chevy/gmc based on car and driver and consumer reports research The 4x4 toyota tundra is having major transmission problems so I'd stay clear of them. I like the looks of the Ram the best but given the lowest mpg full size truck on the market and its reliability ratings I'm not going to buy one anytime soon. The ford ranger cannot be beat for reliability; ford hasn't changed the design in over a decade and during that time they have focused primarily on fixes. The ranger has the best fuel economy of any truck; but from a practical approach the truck is just too small and they do not have a crew cab version.

Comment

My vote is any of the chevy Z71's, doesnt matter what year, they are all tough trucks

Comment

Chevy Silverado. I hate Fords. I love Doges too but some are too noisy.

Comment

My vote has to go with the Willys jeep or the international scout.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad