Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are people's thoughts about skinning a deer using the method where one ties a rock to the hide, then ties a rope to the roc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are people's thoughts about skinning a deer using the method where one ties a rock to the hide, then ties a rope to the roc

What are people's thoughts about skinning a deer using the method where one ties a rock to the hide, then ties a rope to the rock and pulls the hide off with the rope tied to a vehicle? Seems like a good way if one is not planning on caping out the animal, and keeping the hair off the meat? Any thoughts either way? Thanks.

I haven't heard of this one before, but it sounds like it might work if a the carcass is still warm. After that, I think you might be dealing with clumps of fur.

Comment

I asked a similar question a couple weeks back. You can find it demonstrated on youtube. Looks like it works pretty good, and I might give it a try next time I'm in a hurry.

Comment

This doesn't make any sense to me. What purpose does the rock serve? So, the deer is laying on the ground when the hide is stripped off? Personally, I don't care for gravel in my hamburger.

Comment

Thanks for the reply all. From what I've seen, the rock is placed to the underside of the hide to make kind of a ball to tie the rope to on the hair side. I've seen this method used on a warm deer as explorer noted by a guy I work with who videod it and it seemed to work pretty well. The deer was on the ground (on a tarp), but have seen it in one of my books where the deer is hanging from a tree (by the rack) too.

Comment

Oh, I think I see. I guess you'd have to tie the hind legs to something. Still, I'm having trouble picturing how this works. How is the rock placed underneath the skin? I'd be concerned about the flank meat coming off with the hide. That stuff is good for sausage. Also, there's a spot at the top of the ham that always seems to want to stick to the hide.

Comment

The deer is hung by the neck, The hide is cut around the neck and down the frount legs with the legs cut off at the knees (both the front and back legs need to cut off at the knees). The rock or golf ball is place under the hide between the shoulder blades. Tie one end of the rope around the bulge made by the rock or ball, the other to your truck. SLOWLY pull hide off. The hide comes off case skinned like a coon. You should have a hairless body.

Comment

Yes it works very well if your deer is still somewhat warm. If it's cold you could pull the head right off.

Comment

bjohnston has given us a very thorough description of the procedure, and we didn't even need a skinning knife. One, two, three and that boy is out of his suit. It sounds almost too good to be true.

Comment

Yep, bjohnston provided the detail for sure! Thanks all for the input, and I will be sure to try this on my next deer (maybe). My buddy is a taxidermist, so I am trying to save him hides when I can, but Bioguy hit it on the head in his first reply. When time is of the essence (like an early fall, warm weather kill) this method should work great in getting meat cooled quick and efficiently.

Comment

That is the only way we ever skin our deer. It only takes about 10 minutesa and is a piece of cake. We either use a rock or a golf ball.

Comment

Think ill do it the old fashioned way. Sounds like a good way to ruin deer meat!

Comment

Jim in Mo beat me to it. It works great but the deer has to still be warm.

Comment

We have never tried it, but I also half jokingly suggest it as we take out our knives to begin skinning

Comment

I hang my deer head down and by both knees with gamble. I start removing the hide from the legs, hams and after removing the tailbone I wrap several halgf hitches around the inverted tailbone (no rock or ball is needed) tie to my 4 wheeler and pull away. This pulls the deer at a 45 making for easy knive work where needed, after the hide and neck is removed the deer swings back verticle for processing.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad