Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I am kind of looking at a Varmint rifle. It couldn't be very expensive, but should be very accurate to at least 200 yards. I w

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am kind of looking at a Varmint rifle. It couldn't be very expensive, but should be very accurate to at least 200 yards. I w

I am kind of looking at a Varmint rifle. It couldn't be very expensive, but should be very accurate to at least 200 yards. I would like it to be less then 250$. Is this possible?

i am doing the same thing and the cheapest i can find for a new rifle is 300 for the stevens model 200. you might be able to find a cheaper used one but i dont know for sure.

Comment

17 hmr

Comment

Depends on the calibur of the cartidge you want to use and how far away are you from the target. What do you want the bullet to do? Do you want a clean entry and exit, a small entry and no exit, knockdown power?

I found that depending on range and sizze of game, you've got way too many options. Rimfire, centerfire, reloading ammo?

I would recommend if you can get a good used bolt action rifle, preferably in a 223 centerfire, or 17 / 22 caliber rimfire. Very good on varmints, low recoil, and fairly cheap to shoot. If you plan on going into one rifle and one rifle only for everything, I would say go for a 243 Winchester. Good cartridge, will take deer just as well as woodchucks. And depending on what you feed it, you can vary the accuracy, stopping power, and mushrooming effect of the bullet on both varmints and deer.

Comment

If it just going to be a varmit rifle go with the 17 HMR. It will do the job animals from paririe dogs up to cyotes.

Comment

For that kind of money, you are going to need to find a used one. If you buy a new rifle you will also need to purchase rings, bases, and a scope; which will all cost more money and put you over your budget.

Comment

Savage sells some really accurate rifles for cheap at the Large sporting goods chains like Dicks, Wallmart, etc. but you will have a hard time staying under $300. A .223 is a good bet for that yardage and even a bit beyond

Comment

Look at the H&R single shots.

Comment

H&R or Savage 10 or 11 in .223

Comment

Thanks, i wouldn't be using it for deer, since rimfire and center fire rifles are illegal for deer in my state. Other then taht i am pretty well open for suggestions. I would like a 204. btuthose go a lot over my budget. Thanks (Also does anyone know if Thompson Center chambered their icon in 204.?

Comment

17 HMR. The best.

Comment

Thanks for all your input

Comment

.223 would be the best for you!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad