Where were you?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MattM37 View Post
    Does anyone remember if our old New Yorker friend Treestand ever told us about his experience on 9/11? I don't recall if he was still living in the city when he was posting on here, but I know he was a NYC cop for many years. Probably retired by '01 but still in the area, I think.
    Not trying to be a wet blanket, but "treestand" was up in years.
    Thd last big "update" we lost a LOT of older posters.
    Treestand came back.....for a little while, but I don't think it was "our" treestand.
    I think "treestand" has probably gone to that big hunting camp in the sky.
    .....along with several others.

Comment

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post

Treestand came back.....for a little while, but I don't think it was "our" treestand.
      I think it was him, he mentioned in one of those later posts that he’d lost “Ms. Toni”, his companion he often referenced. Something was definitely off about him, I wondered if perhaps he was coping by “self medication”.

In regards to the OP, at the time I was working for a different company and was covering the Roscoe area Treestand talked about hunting. Just a couple hours north of NYC right off Rt 17, a highway nicknamed “The Quickway” for getting upstate. I had a guy named Ed riding with me, he was about 70 years old and had a leg amputated due to diabetes. He was my navigator. A couple times we’d checked in at the office, the first between hits then again shortly after the second.

The gal in the office was freaking out. We weren’t getting any real news off the radio so could only go on her reports which were scattered.

When I got home later that afternoon I spent the rest of the day watching TV coverage with my then girlfriend, now wife.

Hard to believe it was a few years before the Kid was born.

Comment

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post

It was funny, shortly after I first became a FS user, to realize that Treestand -- one of the guys on here I'd gotten to like quite a bit -- was actually one of those guys that I'd grown up hearing gripes about from my dad and uncles. "Those guys" being the New York City hunters who'd come up here every deer season and clutter up the woods, litter all over the place, shoot at anything that moves, kill some farmer's prize heifer, etc. etc. etc. Treestand and I had a good laugh over that a couple of times.

Comment

It was funny, shortly after I first became a FS user, to realize that Treestand -- one of the guys on here I'd gotten to like quite a bit -- was actually one of those guys that I'd grown up hearing gripes about from my dad and uncles. "Those guys" being the New York City hunters who'd come up here every deer season and clutter up the woods, litter all over the place, shoot at anything that moves, kill some farmer's prize heifer, etc. etc. etc. Treestand and I had a good laugh over that a couple of times.
          Odd place for this conversation, MattM37!
          ......but....ANY place there is a desirable game population, there will be an influx of out of state "idjits"!
          We had some Colorado genius hunters cone to east Texas to hunt deer and feral hogs.
          Now, these guys successfully hunted elk, deer and black bear every year in Colorado.
          In the swamps and hardwoods of east Texas? They were "babes in the wood"!
          Seasoned Colorado outdoorsmen who we had to lead around by the hand.
          I'm certain that if the roles were reversed, I would have been lost as a goose in Colorado! LOL!

One of them had a P&Y bull elk in the books. When we told him just how tough it was to get an arrow into a feral hog, he just did one of those "pffft!" things.
          ....then he stuck a pig with an arrow....and he stood in amazement as the hog raced away with his arrow jutting from it's side!
          That's when he said, "This bow will throw an arrow completely through a bull elk!"
          I replied, "That wasn't a bull elk."
          Thankfully, the arrow DID go deep enough to eventually be fatal.

Comment

In most of the places that I've hunted, the local hunters resented out-of-state visitors as trespassers coming to take game "that rightfully belong to us."

Comment

Even the local hunters with large-acreage ranches resented other local hunters who lived on smaller ranches.
              I overheard that once coming from a 500-acre rancher in Texas complaining about 20-acre mini-ranchers.

Comment

Where was I. Active duty United States Marine Corps. Stationed in Indian Head Maryland. I was working on an LVS a big truck. Anyways shit hit the fan and the unit I was in was with very busy for the next 6 months. Chemical Biological Nuclear Incident Response Force. Anyway did some neat shit don’t ever want to do any of it again. The really shitty part is we trained with NYFD less than 6 months prior and we specialized in collapsed structure high angle rope rescue and recovery in dangerous environments. But the joint chiefs of staff wouldn’t allow the only asset in the DOD inventory to go assist because of follow on attack fears. And they wouldn’t allow us to take leave and go help on our own. 400 fit and ready to go Marines and they ordered us to sit on our asses like bunch of fucking quitters. Anyways not going to get all pissed off this late.

Comment

My Sister in the Adirondacks says they painted C O W on their herd.

Comment

Tree moved to N. Fl and was rural enjoying his air boat, lived with lady friend, she passed and he moved to City. Short time later lost contact.

Comment

Originally posted by fitch270 View Post

I think it was him, he mentioned in one of those later posts that he’d lost “Ms. Toni”, his companion he often referenced. Something was definitely off about him, I wondered if perhaps he was coping by “self medication”.

In regards to the OP, at the time I was working for a different company and was covering the Roscoe area Treestand talked about hunting. Just a couple hours north of NYC right off Rt 17, a highway nicknamed “The Quickway” for getting upstate. I had a guy named Ed riding with me, he was about 70 years old and had a leg amputated due to diabetes. He was my navigator. A couple times we’d checked in at the office, the first between hits then again shortly after the second.

The gal in the office was freaking out. We weren’t getting any real news off the radio so could only go on her reports which were scattered.

When I got home later that afternoon I spent the rest of the day watching TV coverage with my then girlfriend, now wife.

Hard to believe it was a few years before the Kid was born.
                      Hunted for years with two guys from Roscoe.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad