X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where were you?

SEPTEMBER 11, 2001

It was my off day.
    Kids were out of the house, wife was at work.
    I got up, made a pot of coffee and cooked breakfast.
    I was sitting on the couch, eating breakfast and turned on the news.
    Charlie Gibson was talking about a small plane that had flown into one of the WTC towers.
    Very few minutes later, a TV camera turned skyward just on time to see the second plane fly into the other tower!

Spent pretty much the rest of the day watching as the towers fell.

You?

I was at work in my shop and did not hear of much of details for over an hour. It was somewhat later when the full scale of the news finally hit home ! My first reaction was of total hatred for all foreigners who may have been responsible. It was days before those feelings cooled down inside of me and I knew that not all were to blame,

Comment

I was loading my truck to go to work when my wife called me in to look at the tiny TV she had in the kitchen, I thought a horrible accident maybe, and then the second one hit.

I was used to watching the commercial airliners come in to DIA, they have a lot of room out over the plains, the air is thin and you can usually see not only the plane landing but two more stacked up behind it. On the drive out to my job I watched. For the first time I could remember there were almost no aircraft. Once in a while a stray one wandering in. Denver International was closed.

The surprise is where those guys came from, mostly Saudis and the guy in charge was Egyptian.

Comment

how were foreigners responsible?

Comment

I was on POW in Alaska. My late wife was flying into Ketchikan on Sept 11. She was flying from NJ and saw the smoke from the strikes. I was eating breakfast at Ruth Ann in Craig when I heard the news. I didn't know if my wife was dead or alive for about 12 hours. She was monumentally pissed off that she couldn't get up to Alaska to be with me that year. She died of cancer in 2004.

Let's GO Brandon!!!!!!!

Comment

I'll bet most people will remember for the rest of their life, exactly where they were at the time of that fateful incident.

I was on a consulting engagement at Anheiser Busch in St. Louis. Someone ran out of the break room where a news TV was playing. Everyone stopped working and watched for the next hour or so. I couldn't return home to Atlanta because of the nation wide aircraft grounding and had to stay over. I was on the first flight to leave the St. Louis airport a day or two later and the airport was empty. There were only about six of us passengers on the flight. One was Arabic and I sat right next to him just in case. I watched every move he made for the two hour flight. I certainly don't blame all Arabs but at that time I had no interest in taking any chances. He turned out to be a nice guy and was as concerned as I was.
            Last edited by DakotaMan; 09-12-2022, 04:10 PM.

Comment

It was a Tuesday. I was at home with a sprung back I wrenched the day before while changing out a rotted patio door. I flipped the channel and thought I'd found a 70's disaster movie. The rest of the day l spent armed, with an eye on the street, expecting truckloads of terrorists to show up.

Comment

I was sitting in my study drinking coffee when I turned on the TV and saw that the north tower was on fire.
                I noted that the fire had already affected about five stories of the building, and I was thinking that it would be very difficult to get that fire under control.
                Then when a second plane struck the south tower, I thought to myself "This is no accident," just as the news reporter announced, "This is no accident."
                Shortly thereafter, I was completely surprised when both buildings completely collapsed.
                I don't think anyone was expecting that.

Comment

Here is an amazing picture taken just seconds before the attack.
                  Note that the approaching plane is below the subject.
                  How the camera survived the explosion is a wonder.

Comment

I was on a job interview. It went poorly on both sides of the table because of the breaking news. I didn't want the job and they didn't want to offer it to me. That company later went out of business.

Comment

I was packing for a work trip to New York City, just a few minutes from leaving the house. My girlfriend, a girl from down there living upstate at the time, called me in tears and told me to turn on the TV. I spent much of the day on the phone trying to reach her family members, as she was at her job, and eventually learned they were all okay.

I wouldn't have been near the WTC but needless to say wouldn't have wanted to be anywhere in the city.

Last edited by MattM37; 09-12-2022, 12:59 PM.

Comment

I often wonder about the people who had jobs at the Twin Towers who called in sick that day.

Comment

Does anyone remember if our old New Yorker friend Treestand ever told us about his experience on 9/11? I don't recall if he was still living in the city when he was posting on here, but I know he was a NYC cop for many years. Probably retired by '01 but still in the area, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by 99explorer View Post
                            I often wonder about the people who had jobs at the Twin Towers who called in sick that day.
                            My sister in law worked at # 4 world trade center 3 days a week commuting from DC, but 9/11 was one of her off days.

Comment

This story is not related to 9/11, but a friend of mine once worked for the city, and he called in sick one day so he could go to the race track.
                              While he was waiting on line at one of the betting windows, he saw his boss standing on the adjoining line.
                              They recognized one another and just shrugged.
                              Nothing was ever said between them.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad