Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Well I lost my mind:

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by Milldawg View Post
    Take def device off no emission testing here
    Ok....but I'm curious.
    Everything I've read/heard is that without DEF, the engines computer will eventually shut the engine down.
    The kid's little Ecodiesel says it will go about 50 miles without DEF before it shuts down to avoid engine damage.
    'dawg, I'm not arguing, just trying to understand.
    My old '01 sounds like a peanut thrasher coming down the road.
    We had an '06 that was MUCH quieter, but it was NOT the engine the '01 is.

    This is what I was able to "Google", and of course, the EPA has to stick it's fingers in the pie!
    😖
    The EPA needs to have it's teeth pulled and be neutered!

    In 2010 the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) has established new guidelines that require diesel vehicle manufacturers to make it harder for the vehicle to start if the diesel exhaust fluid runs out so that the owner of the vehicle takes the issue seriously.

    In some trucks with low levels of DEF fluid or without any DEF fluid, the trucks ran sluggish and would not go faster 5 mph. The truck’s power output drastically reduces, and if the vehicle runs out of fluid, it will not start, or its speed will not exceed 5 mph. A red warning light is displayed on the dashboard screen until the fluid is replaced.
    Last edited by FirstBubba; 08-26-2022, 06:11 PM.

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post

      Ok....but I'm curious.
      Everything I've read/heard is that without DEF, the engines computer will eventually shut the engine down.
      The kid's little Ecodiesel says it will go about 50 miles without DEF before it shuts down to avoid engine damage.
      'dawg, I'm not arguing, just trying to understand.
      My old '01 sounds like a peanut thrasher coming down the road.
      We had an '06 that was MUCH quieter, but it was NOT the engine the '01 is.

      This is what I was able to "Google", and of course, the EPA has to stick it's fingers in the pie!
      😖
      The EPA needs to have it's teeth pulled and be neutered!

      In 2010 the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) has established new guidelines that require diesel vehicle manufacturers to make it harder for the vehicle to start if the diesel exhaust fluid runs out so that the owner of the vehicle takes the issue seriously.

      In some trucks with low levels of DEF fluid or without any DEF fluid, the trucks ran sluggish and would not go faster 5 mph. The truck’s power output drastically reduces, and if the vehicle runs out of fluid, it will not start, or its speed will not exceed 5 mph. A red warning light is displayed on the dashboard screen until the fluid is replaced.
      Rip the junk off and tune it reprogram the ecm.

      Comment


      • #18
        I'll bet you guys don't wear seatbelts or use the directional signal either.

        Comment


        • #19
          I understand that the DEF makes things like 20x cleaner. I don't like the lower MPG but I do like the lack of smoke and the thing has more power than I need. The DEF pump is one more thing to worry about. At the miles I put on I'll die before either of my trucks.

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by Milldawg View Post
            Rip the junk off and tune it reprogram the ecm.
            Ok. Didn't know that.
            Doesn't that void any warranty?
            There was an outfit in Fort Worth who would put a "puck" on your diesel truck.
            Increased mileage, torque and several orher factors. The "puck" cost was about $800. If you decided you didn't like/want the "puck", they would buy it back for almost what you paid for it!
            ...but the puck would void any warranty.

            How do you know what you can and cannot "rip off"?
            That's okay. Even if you described it, I wouldn't know what you were talking about. LOL!
            My truck is registered in OK. They don't do vehicle inspections.
            The kids diesel is registered in TX. Annual inspection w/emission check.

            Comment


            • #21
              Doesn't that "muffler oil" help the engine that would suffer because of the loss of sulfur in the fuel and it's benefits to the internals?

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by franchi20 View Post
                Doesn't that "muffler oil" help the engine that would suffer because of the loss of sulfur in the fuel and it's benefits to the internals?
                I dunno, but I think so.
                I think it's like the lead shot ban. Just a Gov't gimmick to make it more inconvenient and costly for those that want diesel engines.

                Comment


                • #23
                  Ok so here we go. So dieselz do make nasty emissions cold once hot they aren’t that bad. So in a green push some moron came up with a diesel particulate filter and dpf fluid. It’s an absolute scam they can’t make one that won’t clog eventually. And to run a dpf system in a diesel they have to run hot to clean enough for the tree hugers. It basically kills engines over the long term. Basically they did to Diesel engines what they did to gas engines in the seventies my truck that has an egr on that is fixing to get taken off. The dpf is already gone. So to delete a truck you remove the diesel particulate filter and the tune the computer and it will wake up a modern diesel. Does it void warranty sure does don’t care fords warranty ain’t what it was. The dpf filter is gone and the computer has been tuned in my truck it’s and it is a beast. Even with 37x12.50 tires. The egr is coming off the engine soon no need for it. Then changing all the factory restrictive air piping and removing the one little muffler left in the 5 inch exhaust. And rerouting all the cooling lines after egr removal upgrading the fuel system to protect it from high pressure pump failure and an after market thermostat the open 20 degrees soon bypass oil filter. New upper radiator hose and new metal hose neck on the block. Oh and new tunes and and ezylink. About another 5 grand. Under the hood. A friend of mine has a 2011 same engine with all the mods I’m going to do and he has over 300,000 miles on his and its still a monster of a truck. Once the factory turbo goes bad it will get a stage one screamer turbo it will sound like jet with 5 inch exhaust if I don’t just go ahead and rebuild it sooner with the screamer compressor blade. So to sum it up the def Diesel engines are quite but they won’t last half as long as a deleted truck. This truck was a long time coming and I’m not upset about what I have to do it as far building longevity and relatability into it. This truck will be around for a long time. The CFO won’t sell her camper and she didn’t want to me buying an 06 powerstroke so this is what she gets. Don’t have time hunt so I needed a new hobby. When I get done with it I won’t be afraid to to hook to anything and then pull what ever it is up whatever hill is front on me.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by franchi20 View Post
                    Doesn't that "muffler oil" help the engine that would suffer because of the loss of sulfur in the fuel and it's benefits to the internals?
                    No dpf doesn’t help internals of the engine at all it helps “clean” the exhaust.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by fitch270 View Post
                      I was kidding as well, but yeah I know.

                      My office. Click image for larger version

Name:	A162A834-DF13-4559-BE43-DAD63000CE60.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	1.92 MB
ID:	801428
                      Oh it will roll coal as long as you want it to it doesn’t haven’t a stopping point it absolutely insane that a diesel pickup can do that. I cut my teeth on 6.2 gm diesel.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post

                        I dunno, but I think so.
                        I think it's like the lead shot ban. Just a Gov't gimmick to make it more inconvenient and costly for those that want diesel engines.
                        Exactly. It has actually had the opposite effect now everyone is deleting their trucks. It has spawned an entire industry. What screwed it up for everyone is YouTube and the video camera in phones and idiots rolling coal every chance they get. While the government is coming after dirty diesels. There are no regulations on cruise or container ships well any kind of sea going craft or aircraft. And ships basically run tar they buy the nastiest oil and heat it and centerfuge it just to get it to flow. But that’s big business. It’s very obvious the earth has exceed its carry capacity the future is dicey at best.

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by Milldawg View Post

                          Exactly. It has actually had the opposite effect now everyone is deleting their trucks. It has spawned an entire industry. What screwed it up for everyone is YouTube and the video camera in phones and idiots rolling coal every chance they get. While the government is coming after dirty diesels. There are no regulations on cruise or container ships well any kind of sea going craft or aircraft. And ships basically run tar they buy the nastiest oil and heat it and centerfuge it just to get it to flow. But that’s big business. It’s very obvious the earth has exceed its carry capacity the future is dicey at best.
                          Have you considered running the "dyed" ag diesel? It's anywhere from 25 to 70 cents cheaper than the low sulphur road stuff, depending on where you buy it.
                          The local "Co-op" is cheapest, but you must have a "tax" card. It lowers or removes taxes on ag products.
                          Another "gummint" gimmick! 😖

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by franchi20 View Post
                            Doesn't that "muffler oil" help the engine that would suffer because of the loss of sulfur in the fuel and it's benefits to the internals?
                            The only thing it does as far as I know is to reduce the particulates coming out the stack.https://www.bing.com/search?q=what+d...138f3e9f8435e0
                            Converts toxic NO to nitrogen and water.
                            Last edited by jhjimbo; 08-28-2022, 03:26 AM.

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              A Cheetah is a drop in with no tuning required.
                              I believe the impellers are made by a Co. I used to work for - Allied-Signal, Liquid Metals Division, Las Vegas. They are made of ceramic to withstand the high temps. Now I think they are part of Honeywell. https://www.bing.com/search?q=who+bo...138f3e9f8435e0
                              https://www.ebay.com/itm/131974122430?var=0&mkevt=1&mkcid=1&mkrid=711-53200-19255-0&campid=5338590836&toolid=10044&customid=50548b 0e 113f1765fe32e8050d5f8cc7






                              Last edited by jhjimbo; 08-28-2022, 03:50 AM.

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                https://www.bing.com/search?q=allied...431956cca55954

                                Comment

                                Welcome!

                                Collapse

                                Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

                                If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

                                And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

                                Right Rail 1

                                Collapse

                                Top Active Users

                                Collapse

                                There are no top active users.

                                Right Rail 2

                                Collapse

                                Latest Topics

                                Collapse

                                Right Rail 3

                                Collapse

                                Footer Ad

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X