Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "A little rebellion...."

...now and then is a good thing!"

This ought set off Tweedle Dum and Tweedle Stupid! LOL!
    --------‐‐-------------------------------

Along with references and sources.

"Societies exist under three forms sufficiently distinguishable. 1. Without government, as among our Indians. 2. Under governments wherein the will of every one has a just influence, as is the case in England in a slight degree, and in our states in a great one. 3. Under governments of force: as is the case in all other monarchies and in most of the other republics. To have an idea of the curse of existence under these last, they must be seen. It is a government of wolves over sheep. It is a problem, not clear in my mind, that the 1st. condition is not the best. But I believe it to be inconsistent with any great degree of population. The second state has a great deal of good in it. The mass of mankind under that enjoys a precious degree of liberty and happiness. It has it’s evils too: the principal of which is the turbulence to which it is subject. But weigh this against the oppressions of monarchy, and it becomes nothing. Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem. Even this evil is productive of good. It prevents the degeneracy of government, and nourishes a general attention to the public affairs. I hold it that a little rebellion now and then is a good thing, and as necessary in the political world as storms in the physical.[1] Unsuccesful rebellions indeed generally establish the incroachments on the rights of the people which have produced them. An observation of this truth should render honest republican governors so mild in their punishment of rebellions, as not to discourage them too much. It is a medecine necessary for the sound health of government." - Thomas Jefferson to James Madison, January 30, 1787[2] Further SourcesReferences
    1. ^ Emphasis ours.
    2. ^ PTJ, 11:92-93. Letterpress copy available at the Library of Congress. Transcription available at Founders Online.

I had a government professor in college who absolutely loved talking about the Shays Rebellion, the Whiskey Rebellion, and whatever other little rebellions happened in the early U.S. Some Canadian ones, too. He really got into them, and seemed to agree, they should happen more often. (Of course nowadays, social media users and newsmedia would distort the real meaning out of all proportion and bury whatever good effect might have come to pass.)
    Last edited by MattM37; 08-15-2022, 05:19 PM.

Comment

I suppose we are being invited to assume that the Jan.6th mob attack on the Capitol should be classified as a little rebellion.
      Nice try, Bubba.

Comment

Originally posted by 99explorer View Post
        I suppose we are being invited to assume that the Jan.6th mob attack on the Capitol should be classified as a little rebellion.
        Nice try, Bubba.
        FB has a well thought out and analytical post can you for once stop being a jerk off . If you have nothing to add then let it alone and let the adults respond !

Comment

I am still waiting for an adult to respond.

Comment

Nice try, Bubba.
            I don't think we're being invited to assume anything; I think we were just introduced to a topic that we could choose to discuss or not.

Comment

Snowhole proudly announces intelligence agencies submitted false reports to the POTUS, military officers at the highest ranks failed to follow orders and in light of those treasonous behaviors he is still fixated on the Hornhat From Hell! Our Republic no longer functions as designed because of some blasphemous Resistance and Snowhole mistakes righteous indignation by citizens as apocalyptic Insurrection. BIG BROTHER whispers in his ear and he mistakes healthy criticism for arsonist, anarchist rioting as practiced by ANTIFA, BLM, the Democrat Party. 20 whole grams of chocolate!,up from last week's 30 grams!

Let's GO Brandon!!!!!

Comment

You jokers are just too clever by half.
                When the Teflon Don comes up for sentencing, he can tell the judge it was just a little rebellion, inspired by Thomas Jefferson.

Comment

The NY Post's daily article on Hunter and Hunter's dad's treasonous business dealings with assorted international thugs is interesting. The piece brings up Louis Freeh, the former FBI Director, who worked for the Brandonistas as they grifted their way through the gutters of Romanian corruption. The FBI has been getting paid off by Brandon for years. No hornhats though. No orangeman bad tweets, just good old fashioned bribery and treasonous selling of American influence around the world. FBI Delenda Est!!!

Let's GO Brandon!!!!!

Comment

Ok well time for an adult response. If we allow all of rights to be slow taken from us with no push back of any kind we will wake up one and be slaves to a form of government none of asked or wished for. The whole point of our founding documents was to ensure liberty and freedom and representation in government. So long as we are not letting blood run in the streets it will remind those we allow to be in power that they have been bestowed a gift from the people it’s not a divine right. Those that confuse the will need to reminded from time to time. While I’m not condoning violence I am definitely condoning the right to protest.

Comment

Milldawg-
                      Do you condone the Jan.6th mob attack on the Capitol?

Comment

Snowhole means the Dust-up, not the riot in May where the rioters burned the church and all the vehicles. The dust-up didn't do as much damage as the May BLM ANTIFA riot but the Snowholes got to Snowhole. His observational skills are sub par.

Let's GO Brandon!!!!

Comment

Milldawg-
                          Do you condone the Jan.6th mob attack on the Capitol?
                          Your always trying to control the narrative , Milldawg answered your question but you can’t comprehend the words ! He said he doesn’t condone violence ! He said it well ! 99 I ask you politely , stop your antagonistic behavior. It’s boorish !

Comment

Originally posted by labrador12 View Post
                            The NY Post's daily article on Hunter and Hunter's dad's treasonous business dealings with assorted international thugs is interesting. The piece brings up Louis Freeh, the former FBI Director, who worked for the Brandonistas as they grifted their way through the gutters of Romanian corruption. The FBI has been getting paid off by Brandon for years. No hornhats though. No orangeman bad tweets, just good old fashioned bribery and treasonous selling of American influence around the world. FBI Delenda Est!!!

Let's GO Brandon!!!!!
                            The New York post has been nosing around Delaware the past 6 weeks . They interviewed a friend of mine about Hunter Biden and the lap tops he dropped off for repair . Also the gun he bought illegally and deposed of in a dumpster in Greenville Delaware behind Jannsen’s market. The post has a lot of dirt on Hunter. They are one news outlet printing facts and the background info they have on the Biden’s is astonishing .

Comment

Originally posted by Danbo

I'm a little tired of the Hunter Biden story and feel sorry for him.
                              The story is that Hunter and joes other kids had a horrible father who did horrible things to his kids. ( laptop and diary)
                              You said early on that Joe was a horrible person .
                              Danbo don’t feel sorry for Hunter , he was and is a silver spoon baby that cares nothing for anything or anyone besides himself. To know him is to loath him, he is the worst that human nature can produce. Joe Biden isn’t a horrible person but entitled and not real bright. A playboy if you will that has made his way doing favors in the senate. Beau Biden was a good kid who grew into a good man , I can tell you that because I knew him. He did more parenting of his brother and sister than Joe and Jill did . Beau had my respect !

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad