No announcement yet.

Driverless Cars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On I-90 between Ohio and Indiana they have motion sensors that turn on warnings when tripped by deer or other movement.

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post
      What do you think of TWA Flt 800 getting hit over Long Island?
      I don't really know anything about Flight 800 Jimbo. I was doing trains at that time and was no longer in a position to see the facts in civil aviation. It was unusual in that the plane literally exploded mid-air which has better than an 80% chance of being related to external forces like a shot, a bomb or a missile. I have little trust in the Feds telling us the truth in matters like this but I just don't know. I also suspect that TWA's bomb detection was not on par with leading trunk carriers at that time and the public would be shocked to know how many bombings were detected and prevented in the latter parts of the 1900s.
      Last edited by DakotaMan; 08-19-2022, 10:03 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by DakotaMan View Post

I don't really know anything about Flight 800 Jimbo. I was doing trains at that time and was no longer in a position to see the facts in civil aviation. It was unusual in that the plane literally exploded mid-air which has better than an 80% chance of being related to external forces like a shot, a bomb or a missal. I have little trust in the Feds telling us the truth in matters like this but I just don't know. I also suspect that TWA's bomb detection was not on par with leading trunk carriers at that time and the public would be shocked to know how many bombings were detected and prevented in the latter parts of the 1900s.
        Several other pilots saw the missile track approach the plane. One pilot was a Viet Nam Vet and said he knew what a missile track looked like.
        My thought is one engine had blades bent and missing and was torn off the wing. The missile could have been a heat seeker.
        I have a neighbor who was TWA Corp. stewardess training personnel. Of course she knew the entire crew. Books have been written about the shoot down and how the FBI lied about it.

Comment

I work in heavy industry and automation is only as good as the people who write it. Now with that being said. When its good it’s good when it’s bad it’s bad.

Comment

Originally posted by fitch270 View Post
            Dakota,

”As human drivers, we only know what we've been taught and what what we see, hear and feel. It doesn't have to be that limited.”

Well, computers can only know what they’re programmed for. Barring artificial intelligence, which isn’t likely in automotive use at this point, humans have a huge advantage in anticipation based on experience and “feel”.

I’m not sure how radar is going to differentiate between a guy walking his dog on a sidewalk and a doe and fawn standing just off the shoulder. Recognizing possible threats before they occur is every bit as important, if not more, than speed of response after the fact.

Computers do what they are programed to do VERY consistently. The concept there is to use the "Best Practices" in vehicle control on every situation. If there is a better way discovered to see, react or control, then it is added to the stack. My team and I were using artificial intelligence in the 1980s as did the Department of Defense. These systems have been developed with expert systems, case based reasoning, inferential thinking (instantaneous response based on past experience), symbolic processors and symbolic coding languages, knowledge bases, high speed video pattern recognition, object oriented real time logic specifications and computer rule processing structures. Things have come a long way since then to where radar plays a minor role in control. Full motion, real time video is paramount in close quarters control like driving, managing passenger parcels flying by at 35 mph, etc. unless visibility is severely limited.

I know that most people imagine a couple pizza starved coders in a dark room plugging away at this with "if, then else" predicate logic using the COBOL programming language. However, during my first cut at this in the 1970s, we amassed 1,500 person-years of software created by easily some of the most highly trained and most intelligent people in the world. By the 80's AI tools came in to elevate the speed of development and by now its like shooting fish in a barrel. I know that a LOT of bad computing techniques and poor programming exist in our world. However, when human lives are on the line and millisecond reaction time is necessary, people are pretty fussy and you don't see much crap.

Since I'm now retired, I have no idea what is used in automotive
            driving but they would be fools to ignore what exists in other similar mission control applications (i.e. planes, trains, jet fighters, etc).
            Last edited by DakotaMan; 08-16-2022, 10:28 AM.

Comment

Probably what takes place on the spacecraft is all robotics.

Comment

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to BIG deer! (?)
                  by FirstBubba
                  To say they are "spooky" is an understatement....and they travel in herds with lot'sa eagle eye vision eyeballs to watch on all directions!...
                  Today, 10:05 PM
                • BIG deer! (?)
                  by FirstBubba
                  We came down to south Texas to spend a few days with the youngest.
                  We helped assemble a chicken house/run.
                  This morning, we all walked out...
                  09-25-2022, 09:43 AM
                • Reply to BIG deer! (?)
                  by 99explorer
                  I knew a cattle rancher back in central Texas who shot an aoudad that had wandered onto his property, having escaped from an exotic game ranch.
                  Today, 10:05 PM
                • Reply to TGIF; What’s Up Doc?
                  by fitch270
                  Jackson Browne

”Doctor My Eyes”

Today, 10:03 PM
                • TGIF; What’s Up Doc?
                  by fitch270
                  Good tunes to cure what ever ails ‘ya this week.

Robert Palmer wanting a house call.

Today, 09:54 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X