Posting to blogs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Posting to blogs

Haven't been around for a while. Is it no longer possible to post comments to editor blogs?

OHH, I have no idea about that. But you haven't missed much. Mostly it's been the usual half dozen members going back and forth about one political topic or another. I've got three of them on ignore and my world is better for it.

For a self Christmas present, I finally bought a semi-auto 12 gauge. It's a CZ and so far I've been pleased with it but haven't used it on game yet.

Comment

Appears not but must be something fairly recent. Maybe the admin got tired of spam posts, seemed like there were more of those than actual replies on a lot of the blogs.

Which post has your interest?

Comment

Welcome back, Honker.

Comment

I noticed one can't post comments on regular articles anymore. Hope all is well over on hunt talk. Back to Africa soon?

Comment

Originally posted by fitch270 View Post
            Appears not but must be something fairly recent. Maybe the admin got tired of spam posts, seemed like there were more of those than actual replies on a lot of the blogs.

Which post has your interest?

I see the new gun guy Mann posted a story about the five greatest shots he's ever seen made. Second on the list was his son shooting a cape buffalo bull. First, he claims the PH let a fifteen year-old boy shoot at a bull a hundred yards away. The kid hits it in the heart with his Mossturd .375 bolt action. Well, maybe. I also shot my first buffalo at 110 meters and also hit it in the heart. Both PH and lodge owner were okay with me taking the shot (though I almost didn't until PH steadied me in the wind). Later at Christmas I mentioned to my PH that I'd been watching YouTube videos and it seems 100 yards is a long shot for buff. He replied yes, the lodge practice is typically to only allow shots within 70 yards "But we knew you can shoot." I've been hunting over fifty years. The editor's son maybe three years. How much confidence would that generate? But wait, it gets even more interesting. The lad gets off the sticks, somehow cranks in another round, and makes a Texas heart shot on this bull that's now running away full tilt at maybe by now 120 yards. Well, I suppose it could happen. Would it be a "great shot" or just a lucky Hail Mary? According to Mr Mann the PH instructed his kid to put the second shot up the poop chute ... so he did. Okay, where did I put my waders? Story included a photo ... of what appears to be a soft boss bull, either to young too breed or just starting to breed. Taking soft boss bulls is generally considered unethical and frankly they don't make a great trophy anyway ... unless the taxidermist can rebuild the disintegrated bosses with bondo. Hmmm.

Next on the list of great shots was Mr Mann shooting the head off a grouse with his rifle. Big deal. That's very common practice in the west. I have done it countless times. This article only advertised his lack of experience.
            Last edited by Ontario Honker Hunter; 08-04-2022, 02:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by rock rat View Post
              I noticed one can't post comments on regular articles anymore. Hope all is well over on hunt talk. Back to Africa soon?
              Very shortly. Springfield is going back again with several modifications: barrel replacement, rebedded, quick detach Warne rings, steel scope rail (necessary because no one makes extended QD rings), iron sights added (fully adjustable fold down rear leaf scavenged from 1990s Win Model 70 and new Williams hooded front sight, Timney trigger, new aftermarket Mauser type left side striker safety to replace faulty Buhler style safety Dad installed, removed trademark Springfield striker knob to access left side safety, polished the striker and extractor claw to match polished bolt, had the barrel, receiver, rail, trigger plate/magazine, and safety hot blued by a guy in New Brunswick. Looks nice, totally versatile, and shoots great. Attached is target at 200 yards. Not a tack driver but definitely sub minute of kudu. Click image for larger version  Name:	20220711_203123.jpg Views:	0 Size:	826.0 KB ID:	800361 Click image for larger version  Name:	20220711_202302.jpg Views:	0 Size:	752.0 KB ID:	800362 Click image for larger version  Name:	20220711_202733.jpg Views:	0 Size:	766.1 KB ID:	800364 Click image for larger version  Name:	20220731_123016.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.26 MB ID:	800363
              Last edited by Ontario Honker Hunter; 08-04-2022, 02:39 PM.

Comment

[QUOTE=Ontario Honker Hunter... Springfield... is [/QUOTE]
                Great to hear from you again Honker. I hope all is well with you. Field and Stream has made the Q&A section so difficult to find that only about a dozen people worldwide have found it. Most don't hunt much anymore but do worry about the new world order and love to share their vast knowledge of how it ought to be.

Your Springfield is looking pretty spiffy and looks like it could support just about any kind of hunting you care to do... nice job. I've continued building long range precision rifles as a hobby and have fun with that. Here is a 1000 yard target from my 6mm Dasher: I only had 9 rounds with a test load so I shot a 5-shot group to check the zero with that load. Then I moved the reticle down .25 MOA and shot the last 4. The cross wind changed about 10 mph and I shot 2 to check my windage and then two more to correct windage hold. This is an electronic target with the display showing spotter dots instead of actual bullet holes.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Thousand yard Dasher.jpg Views:	0 Size:	91.1 KB ID:	800414

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad