Just Right

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dewman View Post
    I believe the 380 & 9mm are too well established for it to make any significant inroads. Always a fringe group who wants to be first with the newest but in our present world where every ammo is hard to find and ammo makers struggle to fill shortages of established cartridges this new round is got a huge uphill climb. I wouldn't get too excited just yet. Let others lead the way first.
    Yeah, well, if I'm faced with a situation where I need a firearm, I'll take a .380 or 9mm (same bullet diameter) over a sharp stick any day. But that's about it.
    In Europe, what we refer to as the .380 Auto, is known as the 9mm Kurtz (Kurz?). Basically, a 9mm "short".

For my EDC, I can guarantee I'll be hauling something with more "oomph" than a .380 Auto.

EDIT: I guess I just don't see how this .30 Super Carry has anything that extra or that special.
    Last edited by FirstBubba; 06-30-2022, 07:40 AM.

Comment

FB: your comment confuses me as to why you put it in the context of quoting me? How does what I said have any bearing on the point you were making?

Comment

FB: your comment confuses me as to why you put it in the context of quoting me? How does what I said have any bearing on the point you were making?
        Your mention of the .380/9mm is what drew my attention.
        I meant no offense to you or anyone else.
        I just don't think the .380 or the 9mm aren't all they're made out to be.

Comment

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post

I'd prefer a short barreled 12 ga for oomph! They are hard to carry concealed. I went 9mm because the ammo is the cheapest. As a former NYer I wanted to get up to speed in a hurry with my new piece so I ran a couple of thousands rounds through my M&P 9c. 13 rnd double stack that accepts the standard 17 rnd mag. That's 30 +P hollow points in a carry friendly pkg. The 9c is the size of the shield with a thicker grip. Not long ago 2000 9mm could be had for $250. Perfect can be the enemy of good enough.

Let's GO Brandon!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by labrador12 View Post

I'd prefer a short barreled 12 ga for oomph! They are hard to carry concealed. I went 9mm because the ammo is the cheapest. As a former NYer I wanted to get up to speed in a hurry with my new piece so I ran a couple of thousands rounds through my M&P 9c. 13 rnd double stack that accepts the standard 17 rnd mag. That's 30 +P hollow points in a carry friendly pkg. The 9c is the size of the shield with a thicker grip. Not long ago 2000 9mm could be had for $250. Perfect can be the enemy of good enough.

Let's GO Brandon!!!!
            Lot's of folks carry the 9mm. In fact, several federal agencies have dropped the .40 S&W for the 9mm.
            I think and the agency I'm most familiar with think THAT was a big mistake. But it was a governmental decision and no one that I'm aware of was consulted. It was, "Turn in your .40 S&W. Here's a 9mm to replace it!"

Lab12, my wife carry's a .22LR. It's what she's comfortable carrying.
            I have no problem with anybody carrying whatever they're comfortable carrying, be it a 9mm, .45ACP, even this .30 SC.
            Again, in a given situation, ANY firearm beats sharp sticks or rocks!
            😉

Comment

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post

Wasn't offended my amigo, only confused. Lately my default setting 🤦🏻‍♂️👍🏻Not a fan as well. I carry a 357 when I'm packing.

Comment

labrador12

"... I'd prefer a short barreled 12 ga for oomph! ..."

A handgun is to get you to your long gun! LOL!

Comment

Aileen Carol Wuornos was an American serial killer. In 1989–1990, while engaging in street prostitution along highways in Florida, she shot dead and robbed seven of her male clients. Wuornos claimed that her clients had either raped or attempted to rape her, and that all of the homicides were committed in self-defense.
                  All seven murders were committed using a .22lr revolver.

Comment

Wasn't offended my amigo, only confused. Lately my default setting 🤦🏻‍♂️👍🏻Not a fan as well. I carry a 357 when I'm packing.
                    That's SOP for me too. Don't feel badly! 😜

Stay well!

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Remington 51 .jpg
Views:	74
Size:	30.8 KB
ID:	799231 If I had not already bought the Remington-R51+P, I would consider a compact using this round. I want something I can slip in my pocket and have it in a state of 'ready'. With only a grip safety the Rem-R51 meets the criteria. Working around camp I don't even know it is there. Around town, forget it.it
                      I don't think I would ever need a quick draw carry. At camp I would get advance alarm of any 2 legged intruders. Around Town, forget it, a bad guy can get the drop on you 99 out of 100 times. Sometimes, I carry around Town with my hand in a coat or jacket with my R-51 in my hand. Just too easy for them to get the drop on you - just look at all the police officers that are shot by a bad guy getting the drop on them.
                      Last edited by jhjimbo; 06-30-2022, 11:03 AM.

Comment

Jimbo -
                        It sounds like you carry your pistol in what would be called "Condition Zero" on the 1911, with only the grip safety to prevent an accidental discharge.
                        This is especially hazardous in the act of holstering the pistol with your shooting hand on the grip.

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post
                          Click image for larger version  Name:	Remington 51 .jpg Views:	20 Size:	30.8 KB ID:	799231 If I had not already bought the Remington-R51+P, I would consider a compact using this round. I want something I can slip in my pocket and have it in a state of 'ready'. With only a grip safety the Rem-R51 meets the criteria. Working around camp I don't even know it is there. Around town, forget it.it
                          I don't think I would ever need a quick draw carry. At camp I would get advance alarm of any 2 legged intruders. Around Town, forget it, a bad guy can get the drop on you 99 out of 100 times. Sometimes, I carry around Town with my hand in a coat or jacket with my R-51 in my hand. Just too easy for them to get the drop on you - just look at all the police officers that are shot by a bad guy getting the drop on them.
                          Is that 9mm +p enough gun at camp?

Is that where the strange stuff was happening?
                          Bigfoot!?

I think you would need a 44 magnum as the minimum protection from Bigfoot.
                          Last edited by Danbo; 06-30-2022, 06:02 PM.

Comment

We don't know.
                            I don't think anybody has shot one yet.

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post
                              Naturally, the contrarians can not conceptualize nor do their own research. These new products with their features and benefits are not for those too ignorant to see the benefits. They are not for them even though they may like one for themselves. The World is full of idiots and we have a couple of certified ones right here. They know who they are.
                              Am I one of the idiots? The manufacturer can't make enough ammo for the current market, but they can introduce a new caliber and the gun to use it and I'm supposed to fawn all over it and spend money on it instead of buying ammo for stuff l already have.

Comment

Originally posted by franchi20 View Post

Am I one of the idiots? The manufacturer can't make enough ammo for the current market, but they can introduce a new caliber and the gun to use it and I'm supposed to fawn all over it and spend money on it instead of buying ammo for stuff l already have.
                                This ammo and handgun are not for you.
                                Last edited by jhjimbo; 06-30-2022, 09:22 PM.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Northern Lights alert
                                  by MattM37
                                  If you're a fellow Northerner, I just read there's a slim chance of seeing the Aurora Borealis tonight, down even into the upper mid-Atlantic states....
                                  Today, 07:15 PM
                                • Reply to TGIF; Feelin’ It
                                  by MattM37
                                  Good call, I was just coming in now with that copied and ready to link.

Jim Morrison is fun to sing....
                                  Today, 07:11 PM
                                • TGIF; Feelin’ It
                                  by fitch270
                                  Whatever “It” is….😳

Remember her?

Today, 08:43 AM
                                • Reply to TGIF; Feelin’ It
                                  by PigHunter
                                  "If You Wanna Touch Her, Ask!" by Shania Twain

Today, 07:07 PM
                                • Reply to Deer Destroying Forests?
                                  by MattM37
                                  Good point, Richard. I think the antis would see opportunities here to make hunting irrelevant, similar to the way they now fight against culling...
                                  Today, 07:06 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X