TGIF; Party Time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fitch270 View Post
    I betcha Vince Neil is jealous of how well Bon Jovi has aged.

Comment

Fellas, have a good weekend. I am headed out now for the evening smallmouth bite, assuming there is one -- they've been hot and cold lately, but the river looks about right. I'm taking the silver floating Rapala, two bucktails (one brown and orange, one brown and green), my smallest Rebel Wee Craw, and just for the heck of it, my giant three-inch Flatfish. You never know what's gonna rile up a smallie.

Hiking tomorrow and Sunday in two patches of state land I'm not very familiar with, looking forward to some new scenery and hopefully a good crop of wild strawberries.

Comment

Right Said Fred - "I'm Too Sexy"

And I'm too sexy for your party
        Too sexy for your party
        No way I'm disco dancing

Comment

Company is gone, Kid crossed the stage, cleanup is done.

Think I’ll pour a strong one and go sit on the deck.

Comment

Originally posted by MattM37 View Post
            Fellas, have a good weekend. I am headed out now for the evening smallmouth bite, assuming there is one -- they've been hot and cold lately, but the river looks about right. I'm taking the silver floating Rapala, two bucktails (one brown and orange, one brown and green), my smallest Rebel Wee Craw, and just for the heck of it, my giant three-inch Flatfish. You never know what's gonna rile up a smallie.

Hiking tomorrow and Sunday in two patches of state land I'm not very familiar with, looking forward to some new scenery and hopefully a good crop of wild strawberries.
            How did it go?

Comment

I betcha Vince Neil is jealous of how well Bon Jovi has aged.
              Hell, I’m jealous and I’m aging better than Vince……

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by franchi20 View Post

How did it go?
                  Fishing was so-so: Only two decent smallmouths in an hour and a half of fishing, but one of them was among my best ever in this river, a good 18-19 inches and fat, a 4-5 pounder for sure. And there were plenty of rock bass hitting to keep me occupied between smallies -- a couple of the rockies were pretty hefty. Some guys consider rock bass an annoyance but they're okay by me, lots of fun on little jigs and spinners.

The weekend's real highlight came just before dark on Saturday evening. I was heading back to the car on an old logging road when I saw the bushes moving alongside the roadway about fifty yards up. Figured a deer or two had just gone across. When I got up to that spot I stopped and looked uphill through the hardwoods. Didn't see anything ... and all of a sudden I realized there was a big dark shape down closer to me. It was almost full dark under the trees and I'd been looking right past the critter, and the critter was not a deer. A full-size black bear was standing right there not 30 yards away, just calmly looking at me.

That's only the second bear I've seen in my life, and the first was from a car. I figured I'd see one sooner or later when I was out in the woods, but I expected it would be just a glimpse of one crossing the trail a hundred yards away, or some scenario like that. This was a little more up-close and personal. All the "bear advice" written in articles came to mind -- and the possibility of a mother with cubs also came to mind, naturally -- so I lifted my hands to look bigger and started talking: "Hey, bear!" and "Holy F***, you're a f***ing bear!" and things like that. On about the fourth thing I said, it just turned and loped off up the hill, not even really hurrying. Pretty cool. Probably no big deal to folks who live in bear country, but they've only recently been back in our area and seeing one has been on my wish-list.

And since I didn't end up chewed, and didn't even need a change of underwear when I got home, being that close to one was pure bonus.
                  Last edited by MattM37; 06-27-2022, 01:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by fitch270 View Post

Hell, I’m jealous and I’m aging better than Vince……
                    A bowl of potato salad on the Fourth of July ages better than Vince.

Actually -- here I go again, with my rock documentary TV shows -- there was an episode the other night about Vince and how he grew up, early career, etc. So far I've only watched up to where he became a father at age 17 and then got thrown out of school for selling drugs. Gosh, just not what you'd expect from a future member of Motley Crue!

He was a very good baseball player, though, and the turning point came when the coach gave him a choice: Cut his long hair, or get off the team. He'd already begun singing for a band and that was that for his baseball career.

Comment

A bowl of potato salad on the Fourth of July ages better than Vince.

LOL!!!!😜

🤔 Hold up……..

😎

Comment

Matt; Seeing bears around is becoming like seeing eagles, it doesn’t get old even when it starts to be a regular thing. The up close stuff is icing on the cake. I’ll continue to think that way until one goes for my grill or the box I keep our garbage cans in.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad