Ronald Reagan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ronald Reagan

What were you doing the day Reagan was shot?

I was in second grade. I remember getting off the bus and going in the house -- my mom and sister were watching the news coverage. "Matt, somebody shot the President!" my sister yelled. I remember listening to the news speculating about possible Russian involvement, and my Dad snorting and saying b.s., it was just some crackpot.

I was at work when a fellow coworker told me the president was just shot. At the time we could not find out how bad , later on it became knowledge how close he came to dying !

Comment

My most vivid recollection was the image of him being shoved into the limo and the pile on Hinckley. Wasn’t much more to it to remember I guess but the speed at which it went down sticks with me. Couple seconds of chaos and it was over.

Then you find out the Jody Foster motivation and even at 13 years old it’s like WTH?

Comment

Hearne, Texas

Wife pregnant with second child. An 18 month old at home. Little did I know I was 3 months from losing my dad. He had a heart attack in '80.
        Had just bought a home.
        Working a "union" job (shifts) at the time, worrying about a (R) POTUS was low on my priority list.
        ...and yeah, the Jody Foster angle was a bit of a head scratcher.....but what do you expect from a "wanna be" assassin? A Rhodes Scholar?

Comment

And they say Jodie was not impressed.
          She was expecting an earlobe.

Comment

Comment

Have no idea. Don’t even recall the date let alone what I was doing. Must have made a huge impression on me........

Of course I recall the Kennedy assignation and where I was at, must have had a larger impact, or maybe it was the outcome that prevailed.

Maybe my views and interest politically were less defined in the Reagan era or I had already given up hope of politics being a cure for anything. Pretty much the same thinking concerning the present administration !

FJB
              Last edited by bowhunter75richard; 01-24-2022, 11:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by PigHunter
                I do recall. I was in undergraduate school pursuing the BSEE. Walking through the student center, I saw the news coverage on TV and like many others, stopped to watch the report.

I also remember watching on TV the Kennedy funeral procession in '63 and Neil Armstrong's first step on the moon in '69
                I remember JFK ‘s funeral procession ,it’s one of the oldest memories I have . I was 31/2 years old.

Comment

Originally posted by MattM37 View Post
                  What were you doing the day Reagan was shot?

I was in second grade. I remember getting off the bus and going in the house -- my mom and sister were watching the news coverage. "Matt, somebody shot the President!" my sister yelled. I remember listening to the news speculating about possible Russian involvement, and my Dad snorting and saying b.s., it was just some crackpot.
                  I remember he asked his surgeon if he was a Republican.

Comment

Originally posted by bowhunter75richard View Post
                    Have no idea. Don’t even recall the date let alone what I was doing. Must have made a huge impression on me........

Of course I recall the Kennedy assignation and where I was at, must have had a larger impact, or maybe it was the outcome that prevailed.

Maybe my views and interest politically were less defined in the Reagan era or I had already given up hope of politics being a cure for anything. Pretty much the same thinking concerning the present administration !

FJB
                    I had to look up the date and then attempt to recall what was going on in my life at the time.
                    I was young (30) and engaged in living, raising a new family (kids don't come with instruction manuals!), tending an expecting wife, a new home and the events of June (father passing) and I kinda pushed Reagan's shooting to the "back burner" of life.

Comment

Once it was known Reagan would live, and that the incident wasn't going to cause a nuclear war, I think its main effect (along with a lot of gun control proposals!) was sparking conversation about the Kennedy assassination. In my house, at least -- and later I also remember my teacher at school talking about the Reagan shooting for maybe 5 minutes, and then what she remembered about Kennedy's for probably half an hour. A big part of that, I recall, was how shaken she was when Jack Ruby's shooting of Oswald was captured on live TV.

I can't remember the name of it now, but there's a relatively new documentary about the Kennedy assassination that's 100% newsreel and talk show footage from that day and the following week. Well worth watching. (Interesting look back in time, too: Reporters at the newsdesk listening on two phones at a time, one to each ear ... reporters smoking during their live broadcasts ... and of course, the hairdos and eyeglasses.)

Last edited by MattM37; 01-25-2022, 12:14 PM.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Fawns
                        by FirstBubba
                        A deer's normal diet, browse (or "mast") is in full production right now. If you're having wet weather, deer don't have to move far for food,...
                        Today, 05:48 PM
                      • Fawns
                        by MattM37
                        How's your local herd doing? Around here I seldom see many fawns in May, but everything seems to be a couple-three weeks ahead of schedule and we'll...
                        Yesterday, 07:21 PM
                      • Reply to The Constitution or The Big Lie?
                        by bowhunter75richard
                        Anybody who can not see real dangers ahead under this administration is completely brain dead, and one who has no concerns for the country and its citizens...
                        Today, 05:23 PM
                      • The Constitution or The Big Lie?
                        by rock rat
                        We've had almost 250 years of a peaceful transition of power. Our constitution is mostly about how we elect and who can be elected or appointed to the...
                        05-22-2022, 07:24 AM
                      • Reply to Georgia Primary (this one looks to be fun)
                        by Grete
                        Thank you for that, I do. Now we are together on the same page....
                        Today, 04:30 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X