X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bowhunter75richard
    replied
    Originally posted by labrador12 View Post

I saw 100 on my dashboard temp this summer as I was driving to Alaska. It was in the high line, on US 2 in Montana. What a warm front! Wind howling. Rain, hail and a good shaking of the camper out in the middle of nowhere wheat land. What a long strange trip it's been!

Let's GO Brandon!!!
    Montana.....what a wide open wonderful country. I remember several years ago on the way to GNP with 4 buddies to backpack in the wilds. We were in the middle of night, rt. 2 with a fantastic thunder storm of brilliant lighting, exhilarating as hell, listening to Pink Floyd’s “Dark Side Of The Moon”, and the van.....she was a rocking ! Damn, the good ol’ days of lost years..........!!!!

Leave a comment:

• MattM37
    replied
    Most of my TV viewing the past few nights has been "The Last Alaskans." Heimo Korth, Bob Harte, the Lewis Family, the Seldens, and Charlie Jagow. If you're unfamiliar, they are the last remaining people to have cabin permits in the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge. Wonderful, peaceful, capable people. Great show, no drama, no narrator, just the people talking about their lives in Alaska.

Leave a comment:

• labrador12
    replied
    That high line Montana country is pretty neat meteorologically speaking. 100+ in the summer to -40+ in the winter. Big Crow Indian presence. Hard core people.

Let's Go Brandon!!!

Leave a comment:

• MattM37
    replied
    I enjoy the deep cold when it's nice and still out. -10 and still is better than +15 with wind. I bought some new wool socks last week and dug out a couple old wool shirts I'd forgotten I had, so looking forward to getting some good use from those. In one old duffel bag I also found an alpaca sweater that a relative gave to when they moved from Fairbanks to Honolulu. It's a size too small but works well as the first layer over the base layer. I can actually wear a button-front wool shirt over it. Poly-wool undershirt + alpaca sweater + LLBean Maine guide shirt + polarfleece zip-up jacket = WARM.

Leave a comment:

• jhjimbo
    replied
    When it's that hot I am in my boat in Lake Erie that the water is usually in the 70's. I wait after the rush hour and to cool off some before returning home.

Leave a comment:

• labrador12
    replied
    Originally posted by fitch270 View Post
    Saturday morning on my way in to work.

Click image for larger version

Name:	7568F60E-5D4E-46D7-9709-C64845323342.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	1.61 MB
ID:	790294
    I saw 100 on my dashboard temp this summer as I was driving to Alaska. It was in the high line, on US 2 in Montana. What a warm front! Wind howling. Rain, hail and a good shaking of the camper out in the middle of nowhere wheat land. What a long strange trip it's been!

Let's GO Brandon!!!

Leave a comment:

• labrador12
    replied
    The sun is back up in Point Barrow Alaska again. First time since Nov 18. Spring is coming. The solar panels will still be worthless for another few months yet!!!!

Let's GO Brandon!!!

Leave a comment:

• MattM37
    replied
    Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post
    Friday night we hit O deg. It is 17 now.

Do you think the weather or climate has really changed that much. I remember going back in early years it was actually mild some winters and some summers were 'cool'. Didn't the U.K. freeze the entire Country like a ice age - maybe in the early 1600's ? If the earth was once on fire and once frozen how do we know what is 'normal', if there is such a thing.
    Here is an interesting account of wild swings of weather in London over the Centuries.

https://www.historyextra.com/period/...s-freeze-when/
    The drastic increase in ticks, and having 70-80s days in October and early November, say to me that the climate is undergoing some changes, but like you said, there have always been unusual swings back and forth.

The NWS and media weather-people use of the word "normal" has been completely politicized. They use the 30-year average to state a "normal" temperature and precipitation level -- right down to the decimal point -- for every single day of the year. But anybody should realize that average is never a true indicator of normal, since the extremes, up and down, affect an average as much or more so than all the mid-level readings.

The more narrowly defined the "normal" reading, the easier it is to say that something isn't normal. If the average-based "normal" for April 10th is 43.6, they'll talk about 30 or 51 as below or above normal -- "this is NOT where we should be for April 10th!" one of my local TZV meteorologists would say -- when we all know that those are perfectly normal temperatures for springtime. Before climate change was a political issue, forecasters always talked about normal ranges of temperatures, not a specific temp. (and talked about how up-and-down and unpredictable the weather always was in spring and fall)

And they always talk about these "normals" with total ignorance of what would truly be remarkable: If the temperature and precipitation readings really did consistently land right on those 30-year averages all or even most of the time!

Leave a comment:

• Danbo
    replied
    Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post

Do you think the weather or climate has really changed that much. I remember going back in early years it was actually mild some winters and some summers were 'cool'. Didn't the U.K. freeze the entire Country like a ice age - maybe in the early 1600's ? If the earth was once on fire and once frozen how do we know what is 'normal', if there is such a thing.
    Here is an interesting account of wild swings of weather in London over the Centuries.

The little ice age

Leave a comment:

• jhjimbo
    replied

Leave a comment:

• 99explorer
    replied
    I hear there are icebergs heading our way.

Leave a comment:

• jhjimbo
    replied
    Friday night 1 21 2022, headed for 0 deg tonight, then another cool spell next week around Friday.
    Only light snow showers. We usually don't get the heavy stuff once Lake Erie freezes over and I expect it is pretty well frozen now.

Leave a comment:

• FirstBubba
    replied
    Originally posted by fitch270 View Post

Uhhmmm......?
    We're 43° here, feels like 40°.

Leave a comment:

• fitch270
    replied

Leave a comment:

• jhjimbo
    replied

Friday night 1 21 2022, headed for 0 deg tonight, then another cool spell next week around Friday.
    Only light snow showers. We usually don't get the heavy stuff once Lake Erie freezes over and I expect it is pretty well frozen now.

Leave a comment:

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad