1 13 2022

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1 13 2022

Thurs. 41 deg - not bad for the 13 of Jan. But, Sun night snow coming and cooling off to maybe single digit temps.

We won't get above 5 degrees on Saturday. Not sure what the wind is supposed to do, but anything more than a breeze will make for a pretty fierce wind-chill. Then right back up into the 20s on Sunday and Monday. Got about an inch of snow in the valleys right now, 2-5 inches up in the hills. A pretty mellow winter so far, though we have had a couple nights with 25-30 mph winds. So far, most of the lake effect has missed us, though not by much. I'm sure we'll get our turn.

Comment

Originally posted by MattM37 View Post
      We won't get above 5 degrees on Saturday. Not sure what the wind is supposed to do, but anything more than a breeze will make for a pretty fierce wind-chill. Then right back up into the 20s on Sunday and Monday. Got about an inch of snow in the valleys right now, 2-5 inches up in the hills. A pretty mellow winter so far, though we have had a couple nights with 25-30 mph winds. So far, most of the lake effect has missed us, though not by much. I'm sure we'll get our turn.
      Tug Hill was in our news the other night. They said the stream of lake effect went 260 miles long to the south. When I snowmobiled there it was not unusual to get a foot or more at a time. I parked my R/V in the Convenient Store lot in C'ville - got to know the owner. He asked me how I heated and I said Kerosene. He ran an electric outlet down one of the poles in the lot for me to plug into. Nice guy.
      There were usually 6 or 8 of us and we would ride up toward Barnes Corners or the other way past Number F our and Big Moose past Stillwater to Inlet. Sometimes run 300 miles.

Comment

I've been walking in sloppy snow all week, just switched out of my insulated packs and into uninsulated hiking boots. A little wet but a world of difference. Been watching a group of mulies. An older 4 point who hangs with a forky and a doe group of about 8. Couple of yearlings in the doe group that look like little dudes, not sure of the sex, just the way their faces look. With the sun 50 degrees is T shirt weather here.

Good to hear Pig is doing the responsible thing even though he can't read me. Wishing him and Ms Piggy a mild dose and quick recovery.

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post

Tug Hill was in our news the other night. They said the stream of lake effect went 260 miles long to the south. When I snowmobiled there it was not unusual to get a foot or more at a time. I parked my R/V in the Convenient Store lot in C'ville - got to know the owner. He asked me how I heated and I said Kerosene. He ran an electric outlet down one of the poles in the lot for me to plug into. Nice guy.
          There were usually 6 or 8 of us and we would ride up toward Barnes Corners or the other way past Number F our and Big Moose past Stillwater to Inlet. Sometimes run 300 miles.
          There was a little feature on the WIXT-9 Syracuse news this week about a bar-and-grill owner who caters almost exclusively to the snowmobile trade. He's in West Monroe, not really that far north from Syracuse, but right there in the snow belt.

I just wish some of those guys would get a clue about safe travel on the actual roads when they're headed for (and from!) the bar, especially at the crossings.

Comment

There was a little feature on the WIXT-9 Syracuse news this week about a bar-and-grill owner who caters almost exclusively to the snowmobile trade. He's in West Monroe, not really that far north from Syracuse, but right there in the snow belt.

I just wish some of those guys would get a clue about safe travel on the actual roads when they're headed for (and from!) the bar, especially at the crossings.
            Most all snowmobile accidents are alcohol related. Around Montague the seasonal roads open to snowmobiles.

Comment

I sure appreciate the logging-road snowmobile tracks when I'm hiking in winter. Packed so well I don't even have to wear winter boots, just my usual low-top Columbia hiking sneakers. The snowmobilers themselves are almost always very courteous when they come along, slowing right down as they pass.

Comment

I sure appreciate the logging-road snowmobile tracks when I'm hiking in winter. Packed so well I don't even have to wear winter boots, just my usual low-top Columbia hiking sneakers. The snowmobilers themselves are almost always very courteous when they come along, slowing right down as they pass.
                The deer use our tracks as well. When we go by they step to the side in the deep snow and come back on as soon as we go by. I don't think the coyotes can catch them on the packed snow.

Comment

South Texas 12:40PM

78° light wind, mostly sunny

😃

Comment

Was the bar and grill called 2 guys from Italy?

Comment

Weather Channel said tonight Pittsburg could get up to a foot of snow, It looks like the storm is going to pass us on the south east - we might just be in the fringe. Have not heard the forecast yet for accumulation.

Comment

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post
                        South Texas 12:40PM

78° light wind, mostly sunny

😃
                        Bubba, I don’t mean to steal this thread, but just where is South Texas ? And does the border issue affect the area ? If so, are there cautions to be taken ?

Comment

Originally posted by bowhunter75richard View Post

Bubba, I don’t mean to steal this thread, but just where is South Texas ? And does the border issue affect the area ? If so, are there cautions to be taken ?
                          Good questions.
                          We're right on the northern edge of what is called the Rio Grand Valley (RGV). We're about an hour drive from Kingsville, Texas.
                          Anytime we drive into town, we go through a CBP checkpoint.
                          The kid has a few acres. It isn't out of the ordinary to find where "illegal aliens" have crossed the property. We quite often see CBP and DPS choppers working traffic in the area. I stay armed 24/7. So far, nothing.
                          I've been taught one Tex/Mex phrase. It's a very unkind statement that they should leave. Pronto!
                          You don't offer them water or food.
                          If they need medical treatment, we call 911. DO NOT render aid!
                          You can end up tangled up in more legal horse hockey than you can imagine!
                          It really isn't as bad as all that sounds.
                          So far, we've only seen 4 illegals. We just drove on by.

Biden (DHS Sec'y Mayorkas) won't allow CBP to refer to them as "illegal aliens". They must call them "undocumented persons"!

Comment

BHR, I asked my cousin in Yuma the same question you asked bubba. He said he was not really affected - the illegals are passing through as far as he can tell. Their goal is to have enough with a green card because when it's time to pick the lettuce it takes a small army to do it all and in a short enough time frame.

Comment

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post

Good questions.
                              We're right on the northern edge of what is called the Rio Grand Valley (RGV). We're about an hour drive from Kingsville, Texas.
                              Anytime we drive into town, we go through a CBP checkpoint.
                              The kid has a few acres. It isn't out of the ordinary to find where "illegal aliens" have crossed the property. We quite often see CBP and DPS choppers working traffic in the area. I stay armed 24/7. So far, nothing.
                              I've been taught one Tex/Mex phrase. It's a very unkind statement that they should leave. Pronto!
                              You don't offer them water or food.
                              If they need medical treatment, we call 911. DO NOT render aid!
                              You can end up tangled up in more legal horse hockey than you can imagine!
                              It really isn't as bad as all that sounds.
                              So far, we've only seen 4 illegals. We just drove on by.

Biden (DHS Sec'y Mayorkas) won't allow CBP to refer to them as "illegal aliens". They must call them "undocumented persons"!
                              Thanks for the info Bubba.....stay safe !

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad