Asteroid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Asteroid

Big, 5,500' wide asteroid heading this way. This size with a direct hit could wipe out civilizations. A glancing hit could knock us off orbit.

How many years away will it arrive?
    I may not be around.

Comment

A NASA report has warned that at least five asteroids are approaching near Earth this January - and one is the size of a large building.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/172096...earth-january/

Comment

Is it carrying a new form of the chicom virus that we will be infected with if it gets too close?

Comment

And wear a football helmet in case of a direct hit.

Comment

Originally posted by crm3006 View Post
            Is it carrying a new form of the chicom virus that we will be infected with if it gets too close?
            Invasion of the bigfeet?
            ...🤔 bigfeets?
            ...bigfooti?

Comment

This is why they sent up the rocket several weeks ago in a practice to see if they could nudge another asteroid off it's path - hoping for a near miss. A direct hit of a 1/2 mile wide asteroid at 24,000 mph would extinguish life on Earth, except of cockroach, coyoties and bigfoot.

Comment

From PigHunter: "Bubba, everyone knows the plural is 'Bigfoot'. Catch up and get with the program."

Thanks for that information, Pig. I can now sleep better at night knowing the plurality of Bigfoot.

Comment

If the plural of mouse is mice, why isn't the plural of house "HICE"?

If the plural of goose is geese, why isn't the plural of moose "MEESE"?

I'm cornfused???? 🤔🤯😳

Comment

What would you call a group of bigfoot?
                    A tribe?

Comment

Originally posted by PigHunter

Bubba, please stop trying to hijack this thread. Perhaps you should start a new question about animal names.
                      Speaking of animal names!
                      As a kid, I had a dog with one eye, got a leg cut off in a hay mower.
                      Horse kicked several of his teeth out and a feral hog chewed one of his ears off and he was castrated.
                      We called him "Lucky"!

Comment

Originally posted by PigHunter

Bubba, everyone knows the plural is 'Bigfoot'. Catch up and get with the program.

So What is the Plural for "Bigfoot?" - The Occult Section

“The plural and singular of Sasquatch and Bigfoot are Sasquatch and Bigfoot. More than one Abominable Snowman and Yeti are Abominable Snowmen and Yetis. Please avoid letting me hear “Sasquatches”!

Some nouns, particularly the names of animals and fish, have the same form in singular and plural. Historically and grammatically correct is the word “Bigfoot” for singular and plural, just as “sheep” means one sheep and two or more sheep.

There are a number of animals that have the same singular and plural form, for example:
                        antelope – antelope
                        buffalo – buffalo
                        bison – bison
                        mink – mink
                        otter – otter
                        bass – bass
                        deer – deer
                        moose – moose
                        swine – swine
                        pike – pike
                        trout – trout
                        goldfish – goldfish
                        species – species
                        sheep – sheep

I'm thinking if all the sudden you don't see the Bigfoot around, then they must be hiding in a cave and the asteroid impact is imminent. Those big hairy guys appear to be very smart...
                        I think there are more animal names with plurals that properly don't have an "s" than do. Grouse, quail, turkey, beaver, and many more. I think a lot of those are optional, though. The OED would be the authority, but even that is better ignored sometimes.

I enjoy listening to the Far North trappers on YouTube who call a single lynx a "link," as if the plural were "links." Alaskan super-woodsman Heimo Korth does it, too, on "The Last Alaskans." It's funny; in some respects I'm a real stickler about the language but I love the regional modifications (or "butcherings," in some cases).

I think around here, more people say "otters" than "otter." Using the "s" sounds better to me. Not that there are frequent discussions about otters -- we do have a few, but nowhere near as many as all the mink, muskrats, and beavers.

Edit: Sometimes I say "trouts," too. That's one that really does sound wrong, but there's a line I've always liked in Shakespeare's Measure for Measure: "Groping for trouts in a peculiar river." It doesn't mean fishing.
                        MattM37
                        ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
                        Last edited by MattM37; 01-13-2022, 03:32 PM.

Comment

I always have to bite my tongue when someone asks me the classic “Did you catch any deers”. Usually some sweet old lady.

Comment

Originally posted by fitch270 View Post
                            I always have to bite my tongue when someone asks me the classic “Did you catch any deers”. Usually some sweet old lady.
                            "Why yes, ma'am, yes, I did catch one. They led me quite a chase but I ran and ran until I caught one."

Comment

No ma'am, didn't catch any this year. Because the question is usually followed by "When are you going to bring my deer meat, Honey?" This from some old lady I scarcely know, and the less acquainted they are, the more entitled they feel.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad