7 December, 1941

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 7 December, 1941

Today is December 7th. On Sunday, December 7th, 1941, the Japanese launched a surprise attack on the American navel base in Pearl Harbor, Hawaii, killing more than 2,300 Americans. Soldiers, sailors, and marines were not the only casualties, as an unknown number of civilian deaths resulted, also.
    NEVER FORGET!
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Pearl Harbor.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	27.7 KB
ID:	786806
    crm3006
    ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
    Last edited by crm3006; 12-07-2021, 09:50 AM.

Originally posted by crm3006 View Post
    Today is December 7th. On Sunday, December 7th, 1941, the Japanese launched a surprise attack on the American navel base in Pearl Harbor, Hawaii, killing more than 2,300 Americans. Soldiers, sailors, and marines were not the only casualties, as an unknown number of civilian deaths resulted, also.
    NEVER FORGET!
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Pearl Harbor.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	27.7 KB
ID:	786806
    A roommate from Hawaii had his parents house destroied in the attack. They had left the area and were o.k.

Comment

Good posts, Pig. Thank you.

Comment

Only a few of the Pearl Harbor survivors are still with us today. Hats off to the Greatest Generation, especially the ones who went through days of hell like that one.

My mom was seven years old in 1941. She could remember my grandmother yelling across the dooryard to my grandfather in the barn when the news came over the radio.

I hope to visit the National WWII Museum in New Orleans someday. Historian Stephen Ambrose ("Band of Brothers") was one of the founders.

(By the way, does anyone know why it's in New Orleans? Stephen Ambrose was Dwight D. Eisenhower's biographer, and one day Eisenhower said to him, "Andrew Higgins is the man who won the war for us!" Who was Andrew Higgins? The man who developed and built the landing craft used on the beaches on D-Day and in the Pacific. The company was located in Louisiana.

Comment

Originally posted by MattM37 View Post
          Only a few of the Pearl Harbor survivors are still with us today. Hats off to the Greatest Generation, especially the ones who went through days of hell like that one.

My mom was seven years old in 1941. She could remember my grandmother yelling across the dooryard to my grandfather in the barn when the news came over the radio.

I hope to visit the National WWII Museum in New Orleans someday. Historian Stephen Ambrose ("Band of Brothers") was one of the founders.

(By the way, does anyone know why it's in New Orleans? Stephen Ambrose was Dwight D. Eisenhower's biographer, and one day Eisenhower said to him, "Andrew Higgins is the man who won the war for us!" Who was Andrew Higgins? The man who developed and built the landing craft used on the beaches on D-Day and in the Pacific. The company was located in Louisiana.
          The landing craft, a LST was a "Landing Ship, Tank". The sailors and soldiers that manned them called them "Large Slow Target"!

I worked with a fellow who operated a LST in the Pacific. At one time, his family lost touch with "Bub" for 6 months. When they finally heard from him again, he had been injured, shipped to Hawaii until he recovered and sent back into combat where he served until the war was over in the Pacific.
          His brother told me that story. All I ever heard "Bub" say was, "Every night when I go to bed, I can still see their faces." speaking of his crew mates and friends that didn't make it.

Comment

If we get hit today we aren't going to get a chance to ramp up to fight back. I'm with Trump, Chief of Staff General Milie is a dumb motherf*cker.

Let's GO Brandon!!!

Comment

My good buddies dad was a pow from the battle of the bulge. I knocked back a few with him over the years. Hes gone now too! Hell of a guy. My dad has been gone for a lot longer, but those guys were the people I learned to hunt from. They didn't talk about the war, but they talked about freedom and the Second Amendment. The greatest generation weren't shy about why they fought! The bullsh*t that's going down today wouldn't fly with those guys. I was born six years after the end of WWII. I spent half my life with those guys. Good People.

Let's GO Brandon!!!

Comment

Knew a man who was in the Phillipines when Pearl Harbor happened. He was there when Mcarthur said, "I will return!"
                In the meantime, they ran out of ammo and food. They couldn't make ammo, so they ate Mcarthur's horse.
                Then they were captured by the Japanese and THEN he got to participate in the Bataan Death March.

Comment

And just think, there are still SOB’s who proclaim that it was wrong for America to drop the two bombs that ended the war. It was not America that instigated the war, and I don’t give a damn how they ended it either. Poke the bear and you just might find your head up your ass !!!! Thanks to all the brave men and women who fought and died to give me the right to say that !

Love this country or get the hell out ! That would appear to mean all dimwits.

Comment

Originally posted by PigHunter

Glad to contribute. I'm somewhat of a military history buff and mainly concentrate on learning about the Pacific portion of WW2. I wish the younger generations would properly understand the price paid for them to now have their 'woke' freedoms.
                    An excellent point PigHunter !

Comment

One of the very few things my Father ever talked about, regarding WWII, was coming home from the Army of Occupation in Germany, and hearing that Truman had dropped the bomb. The returning GIs from the European Theater had a slogan, "Golden Gate by 48!"
                      Without the bomb, the projections was the war would last three more years, and they thought they were all going to the Pacific Theater.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad