MichiganSchool Shooting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MichiganSchool Shooting

It was reported today the parents of the 15yo shooter were in School THAT MORNING meeting with teachers and administration about the behavior of the shooter. Can't be anymore involved in your childs well being than that. Unfortunately, the kid was way past that on a dark mental course.
    DA may bring charges for the Parents. How the kid got the gun and ammo ?

Also, reported today the kid had detailed planes on how he would carry out the shootings, both in his phone and on unsocial media.

Michigan DA said tonight the shooter had the gun when he was in the meeting with school Admn., teachers and his parents the morning of the shooting.
    Where were the metal detectors ?

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post
      Michigan DA said tonight the shooter had the gun when he was in the meeting with school Admn., teachers and his parents the morning of the shooting.
      Where were the metal detectors ?
      I have no stats to support it, but I don't think there are many schools outside of big cities that have metal detectors. Of course I see your point if you were saying that every school should.

A new wrench in the works on that issue, by the way: Having metal detectors would mean someone to staff them and deal with whatever arises. Right now our local schools can't even keep a full staff of bus drivers.

Comment

Parents will each be charged with 4 counts of involuntary manslaughter.

Comment

That would bring us one step closer to prosecuting the seller, and ultimately the manufacturer.

Comment

Originally posted by 99explorer View Post
            That would bring us one step closer to prosecuting the seller, and ultimately the manufacturer.
            The purchase was legal.

Over seas I would ride in a horse drawn carriage or taxi from time to time. The practice was, you had your fee in your hand and if in an accident, throw the money on the seat and take off. The demented archaic thinking of this backward Country is, if you did not hire the ride, the accident would not have happened.

Comment

Mom and her son were videoed at a range shooting the firearm. It was labeled mom and son shooting his early Christmas present. Obviously the parents are gun people. They misjudged their son. I owned a gun at 13 but never shot any fellow students. We all knew we could, but we never would. It's enough to make a man really believe in Satan. Those big schools seem dehumanizing to me. I'm just a small town guy.

Let's GO Brandon!!!

Comment

I think a conviction might depend on how much the parents knew of the kid's drawings and comments beforehand, and how much time passed between their knowing and him doing what he did. NY Times article says the prosecutor is citing what the school officials knew the previous day -- though the article did not specify whether the parents knew at that time, too, or not until they came in for the meeting on the day of.

If the parents had sufficient knowledge to think the boy was unstable, and then a reasonable opportunity to get the gun locked up, I'm betting they'll be found guilty. And should be, in my opinion. If I had a kid, no matter how much I loved the kid, if I'd seen a drawing of people being killed and the comment, "The thoughts won't stop," I'd darned sure get to my guns as fast as possible and make sure they were inaccessible. For everyone's good including my kid's.

In my opinion, these school-shooter situations, when they're in that stage beforehand when the big red flag goes up, should be handled just like suicide threats. If a kid mentions suicide to you -- no matter how it's said, no matter what they say afterward, no matter what -- they are not to be left alone from that point forward. You don't leave them until they're in the care of their parents or emergency personnel or a counselor.

Comment

I had a jackknife in my pocket every day at school, and I was the class president! I had a shotgun in my truck a few times and there were shells rolling around too! Hunting ages have dropped, and school shootings have soared. I thought being a kid was tough in the 1960s. I really feel for today's kids.

Let's GO Brandon!!!

Comment

Originally posted by MattM37 View Post
                    I think a conviction might depend on how much the parents knew of the kid's drawings and comments beforehand, and how much time passed between their knowing and him doing what he did. NY Times article says the prosecutor is citing what the school officials knew the previous day -- though the article did not specify whether the parents knew at that time, too, or not until they came in for the meeting on the day of.

If the parents had sufficient knowledge to think the boy was unstable, and then a reasonable opportunity to get the gun locked up, I'm betting they'll be found guilty. And should be, in my opinion. If I had a kid, no matter how much I loved the kid, if I'd seen a drawing of people being killed and the comment, "The thoughts won't stop," I'd darned sure get to my guns as fast as possible and make sure they were inaccessible. For everyone's good including my kid's.

In my opinion, these school-shooter situations, when they're in that stage beforehand when the big red flag goes up, should be handled just like suicide threats. If a kid mentions suicide to you -- no matter how it's said, no matter what they say afterward, no matter what -- they are not to be left alone from that point forward. You don't leave them until they're in the care of their parents or emergency personnel or a counselor.

Why they would let the kid have the weapon without supervision is beyond me.
                    My kids had / have no access to firearms even their own without my supervision.
                    We make to many excuses for bad behavior .
                    We also need to realize that some kids are just plain evil/ bad. Seen it several times.

Comment

"... a reasonable opportunity to get the gun locked up ..."

Today's liberal "bench warmers" couldn't care less about "reasonable"!

Gun = Crucify, regardless of age, sex, situation or intent!
                      FirstBubba
                      ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
                      Last edited by FirstBubba; 12-03-2021, 04:16 PM.

Comment

I agree Bubba! I had access to my dad's gun from a ridiculously young age. It was kept in the closet. His hunting coat with ammo in the pockets hung in the closet too. Today's standards among the smug elite aren't realistic. The gun doesn't shoot people by itself. I slept with my Model 12 when I got it for Christmas just before I hit 14, the legal age for hunting in NY in 1965. There are junior shooters in IDPA. I'm sure those kids dry fire and practice without constant adult supervision.

Let's GO Brandon!!!

Comment

Originally posted by labrador12 View Post
                          I agree Bubba! I had access to my dad's gun from a ridiculously young age. It was kept in the closet. His hunting coat with ammo in the pockets hung in the closet too. Today's standards among the smug elite aren't realistic. The gun doesn't shoot people by itself. I slept with my Model 12 when I got it for Christmas just before I hit 14, the legal age for hunting in NY in 1965. There are junior shooters in IDPA. I'm sure those kids dry fire and practice without constant adult supervision.

Let's GO Brandon!!!
                          In grade school a kid knew where the father hid several hand guns. After school we would pull them down and admire them - no ammo, ever.

When I left for the service I was worried about several handguns I had. So, I rented a safe deposit box in a bank and put them there. Long guns, I took bolts, triggers, magazines off them and put those in the safe deposit box with the handguns.

Comment

The 1950s were great.

Comment

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post
                              "... a reasonable opportunity to get the gun locked up ..."

Today's liberal "bench warmers" couldn't care less about "reasonable"!

Gun = Crucify, regardless of age, sex, situation or intent!
                              I think the defense might make the point that the prosecutor is starting from an anti-gun political stance; in her press conference she made several irrelevant points that are basically just the "owning guns is bad" mentality before she got to anything the parents actually knew, said, or did (or failed to do).

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad