Psa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Psa

Mike Rowe was on TV and he said to jam a robo call as soon as a connection, hit #### in rapid succession and it will cause their computer to crash.

Another friend gave me the * 5 codeand it would do the same thing. I have not tried either yet. Let us nknow if it worked for you. Jim

If I don't recognize the number, I ain't answering the phone. Period.

Comment

Originally posted by PigHunter

By the way, those codes are not going to make their computer crash. That's totally ridiculous. Whoever started that is an idiot.
      Mike Rowe from 'Dirty Jobs"

How do you know they won't crash ? Mike said it takes them some time to re-boot.

The only thing I have used is the air horn, the kind I have on my boat. That works.

rowe

Comment

Originally posted by PigHunter

How do you know it does and it's actually from Rowe? You said you haven't tried it and you posted no links. A quick web search shows absolutely no confirmation of this. For years people forward bullshit made up crap attributing it to Rowe or some other celebrity in order to get 'expert clout'. Did you actually see Rowe say this on video or are you taking someone else's word for it???

Please tell me you're not that gullible.

As for the robo call computers crashing. 1) They don't all run the same software. 2) If such a vulnerability existed, it would quickly be corrected way before a bullshit email would make the rounds.
        He was live on TV. I don't think he would say if not reasonably confident there was something to it. Another friend told me something similar except he said the code was * 5. I will try them some time to see for myself.

Comment

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post
          If I don't recognize the number, I ain't answering the phone. Period.
          I once made an emergency phone call to my B-I-L on a borrowed state trooper's cell phone, and it went unanswered because he didn't recognize the number.
          It's no trouble to just hang up on a junk phone call.

Comment

This phone quite often displays “Scammer Alert” or “Telemarketer”. Like FB, if I don’t recognize the number I’m not answering. Voicemail is there for a reason.

Comment

If it's an emergency, the caller won't be leaving a message.

Comment

Originally posted by fitch270 View Post
                This phone quite often displays “Scammer Alert” or “Telemarketer”. Like FB, if I don’t recognize the number I’m not answering. Voicemail is there for a reason.
                I don't even set up voicemail.
                I'm on Verizon, unidentified numbers often display, "Potential Spam".
                I always have my phone and I know who to answer and who I dont really want to talk to. Those guys are marked DNA (do not answer) and I decide when I want to talk to them.

Comment

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post

I don't even set up voicemail.
                  I'm on Verizon, unidentified numbers often display, "Potential Spam".
                  I always have my phone and I know who to answer and who I dont really want to talk to. Those guys are marked DNA (do not answer) and I decide when I want to talk to them.
                  My phone is a company deal, I don’t keep it on me but check regularly to see if they need something. They’ll often call instead of texting. Personal use is allowed.

Eventually I’ll have to work out something with them so I can keep the number. It was transferred to me about ten years ago when they let someone go, I still get occasional calls and texts from people trying to contact him.

Comment

Originally posted by fitch270 View Post

My phone is a company deal, I don’t keep it on me but check regularly to see if they need something. They’ll often call instead of texting. Personal use is allowed.

Eventually I’ll have to work out something with them so I can keep the number. It was transferred to me about ten years ago when they let someone go, I still get occasional calls and texts from people trying to contact him.
                    Not sure how things work in NY, but down here, I can go to another company, say US Cellular, and tell them I want to swap companies and keep my number.
                    US Cellular will set me up with an activated new phone with "MY" number and within 6 weeks, if I still had credit on my Verizon account, a reimbursement.
                    But that's TX/OK.

p.s. - I do a LOT of communication via text.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad