Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fitch270
    replied
    More info coming out. Apparently there have been other issues happening, including other discharges.

Appears they weren’t actually filming at the time.

https://www.latimes.com/entertainmen...walked-off-set

Leave a comment:

• 99explorer
    replied
    The latest word is that the gun was loaded with live ammo, but mistakenly treated as a "cold gun" when handed to Baldwin.
    He was performing at the time , and was supposed to aim and shoot at the camera to get the audience view of the shooting.
    Of course, even so, Baldwin should have checked the gun before the scene.
    Probably a single action revolver, as the movie was a western.

https://news.yahoo.com/sheriff-baldw...100904090.html
    Last edited by 99explorer; 10-22-2021, 09:30 PM.

Leave a comment:

• fitch270
    replied
    Haven’t seen anything from official sources yet but reports are it was a live round.

https://variety.com/2021/film/news/a...nd-1235095349/

Leave a comment:

• labrador12
    replied
    I wonder if the arrogant Mr Baldwin realizes that he has proved that there are literally tens of millions of Americans better able to handle firearms than he is.

Let's GO Brandon!!!

Leave a comment:

• dewman
    replied
    Since it appears the gun was real then maybe the ten rules of firearm safety we all learned as children in hunter ed should be mandatory for anyone handling a firearm on set? Baldwin shouldn't be off the hook for this if he pointed a gun at someone and pulled the trigger. The "I didn't know it was loaded" doesn't work for others, wonder if he'll be the exception. Remember all his Trump gags on SNL? Wonder if they'll do some on him now?

Leave a comment:

• MattM37
    replied
    Those who were kids in the 80s might remember the show "Voyagers" about the time travelers. Jon Erik-Hexum, the star of that show, died when he put a prop gun to his head and said something like, "Hey, everyone, watch this!"

Leave a comment:

• labrador12
    replied
    I've seen reports of a live round in the firearm. It penetrated one person and wounded another. We're talking Perry Mason scenario here!

Lets GO Brandon!!

Leave a comment:

• labrador12
    replied
    Did he get a purple heart, a LA JF Kerry?

Let's GO Brandon!!!!

Leave a comment:

• 99explorer
    replied
    A buddy of mine was wounded during basic training in the army when a blank wad fired from a rifle hit him on the wrist, from a distance of 10 to 15 feet.
    Not serious, but t did draw blood.

Leave a comment:

• FirstBubba
    replied
    Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post
    A prop guy interviewed said gases and powder could injur from a blank. I think it might be more along the lines of a wad at close range. Also he said the gun and subject were offset so any projectile would go by the subject. Unless Alec was messing around before the scene.
    Yes sir, I figure a "Watch this!" moment by a Mr. Bigshot Actor that went terribly awry because he was/is an idiot.

Leave a comment:

• jhjimbo
    replied
    A prop guy interviewed said gases and powder could injur from a blank. I think it might be more along the lines of a wad at close range. Also he said the gun and subject were offset so any projectile would go by the subject. Unless Alec was messing around before the scene.

Leave a comment:

• labrador12
    replied
    I agree, sympathies for the victims. Not a fan of Alec Baldwin.

Lets GO Brandon!!!

Leave a comment:

• FirstBubba
    replied
    Originally posted by fitch270 View Post
    Going to be a ton of explaining to do. Not just why the gun was loaded but why was he actually pointing and pulling the trigger at the crew?

Sympathies for the victims.
    Couple of things.
    For cartridge guns, "blanks" are normally either black powder (for flash and smoke) or a mixture of smokeless and black powder.
    The cartridges are (normally?) sealed with a cardboard disc or a wax plug.
    For cap and ball guns, it's normally(?) just black powder with some substance to hold the powder in place.

Wax plugs can act just like a bullet.
    Even with no projectile, blanks, up close, muzzle blast can be destructive.

A friend of ours used to do "Old West Reenactments"!
    He said he had been burned several times by folks who either weren't watching their muzzle or thought they were far enough away.
    After Bruce Lee's son was killed, their show lost a lot of "authenticity" because they shot into the air instead of "AT" each other.

"Blank" does not mean "harmless"!

Leave a comment:

• fitch270
    replied
    Going to be a ton of explaining to do. Not just why the gun was loaded but why was he actually pointing and pulling the trigger at the crew?

Sympathies for the victims.

Leave a comment:

• crm3006
    replied
    From Lab12- "Didn't Perry Mason do a show on a murder committed by a so called stunt gun in 1963???"

Yep. Perry Mason got the guy off, and found the real murderer.

Leave a comment:

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad