• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rock rat
    replied

Leave a comment:

• 99explorer
    replied
    Donald Trump Jr. is selling shirts that say 'guns don't kill people, Alec Baldwin kills people' after Halyna Hutchins death.

https://news.yahoo.com/donald-trump-...121034125.html

Leave a comment:

• fitch270
    replied
    When you consider the millions of rounds fired in the film industry you’d have to say they have a strong safety record. In this case there was absolute failure in a number of safety protocols that contributed to the tragedy.

https://www.foxnews.com/opinion/alec...onathan-turley

Leave a comment:

• fitch270
    replied
    Baldwin’s father was a Marine who knew his way around a rifle range. You’d think the man may have had some input with his sons as they grew up

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/remem...ather_b_218441

Like I said earlier, Baldwin was the boss of a set that was not in control of its weapons. He has that responsibility at a bare minimum.

Leave a comment:

• MattM37
    replied
    Originally posted by rock rat View Post
    No expert at all, I simply have access to media that does in depth stories on subjects of the day.

Want to know about firearms on a movie set? Interview an armorer with decades of experience. I'd assume Baldwin is close to being an idiot, he's in Hollywood, but as with most situations where idiots can get hurt there are basic safeguards worked out over the years to anticipate the Baldwins of the world. Firearms are one of those things where we have an abundance of people very knowledgeable in how to keep a place safe with idiots and firearms in close proximity, mainly our armed forces and the NRA range certifications and instructor programs.

Blaming Baldwin because in addition to being a Hollywood idiot he's also a flaming liberal (I guess) is not informing, it's simply the sound of dogs barking.
    Well, we could split some hairs as to whether it's just dogs barking. If the lefties who comprise the majority of entertainment media were not so quick to ignore and disparage traditional citizens and experienced gunowners -- indeed, remove them from the national dialogue entirely -- then maybe there'd be a higher level of gun-safety awareness and respect everywhere, including on movie sets. Just in terms of the collective consciousness, I mean -- what most people generally know and don't know. Even to non-gunowners, guns didn't used to be evil things that only an undesirable would know about.

Just a little social psychology, for our Monday afternoon.
    Last edited by MattM37; 10-25-2021, 02:27 PM.

Leave a comment:

• rock rat
    replied
    No expert at all, I simply have access to media that does in depth stories on subjects of the day.

Want to know about firearms on a movie set? Interview an armorer with decades of experience. I'd assume Baldwin is close to being an idiot, he's in Hollywood, but as with most situations where idiots can get hurt there are basic safeguards worked out over the years to anticipate the Baldwins of the world. Firearms are one of those things where we have an abundance of people very knowledgeable in how to keep a place safe with idiots and firearms in close proximity, mainly our armed forces and the NRA range certifications and instructor programs.

Blaming Baldwin because in addition to being a Hollywood idiot he's also a flaming liberal (I guess) is not informing, it's simply the sound of dogs barking.

Leave a comment:

• fitch270
    replied
    They point the gun right at people and fire, also directly at the camera. The armorer carefully reviews all script, checks distances as powder burns are a problem from too close a distance. Digitally enhancing to substitute flash and smoke can be done but recoil looks more authentic with real blanks. Also filming with real blanks is much less expensive. The armorer is on set and is responsible for what are often very real firearms at all times and when the scene is finished at the work "cut" retakes possession of the firearm. Most people such as actors have no idea of firearms, that's why they have an armorer.

I've only a vague idea who Baldwin is, he certainly wouldn't be responsible for firearms on a set, he's an actor.
    So now the guy who doesn’t follow pop culture is a film production expert.

Might want to look into how things are supposed to be done to prevent this from happening.

https://nypost.com/2021/10/23/baldwi...ns-expert/amp/

Baldwin is one of the producers, it’s up to him to make sure the set is safe. Negligence abounded here.

Leave a comment:

• 99explorer
    replied
    I believe Tom Hanks fired a live round from his pistol in "Saving Private Ryan" toward the end of the movie as a German tank is rolling toward him.
    The scene is shot from BEHIND the actor, and you can see not only the muzzle flip, but the twisting of the pistol in his hand.
    Another shot from the front of the actor shows only the faked muzzle flip, now common in recent movies.

Leave a comment:

• bowhunter75richard
    replied
    Recoil !! I would dare say, that some 85% of any western I have seen, is viewed without recoil affect. That goes for pistols and long guns. That is one of the truisms absent from Hollywood. That is also one way of discerning if a producer or director know anything at all about what happens when a trigger is pulled. Of course this is just a side note, but one that bugs me in regards to affects. But then, in this case, it appears things were a matter of being too real,,,,,,,,

Leave a comment:

• Pmacc60
    replied
    Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post

With all due respect, pmacc60, he is dead wrong.
    Prop guns are inert plastic toys. Movies sometimes incorporate real guns for a touch of realism.
    I've seen cowboy shootouts with a Colt .45 Peacemaker where the shooter experienced no discernable recoil! (?)

The crew had been shooting the gun for fun off the set.
    You dare to challenge 99 and myself ?? You obviously don’t realize who you are messing with !! FB I think we are talking about two different things , armories for Hollywood productions have a vast amount of real firearms that shoot real bullets . There are prop guns but much of the non recoil come from blanks . They don’t have recoil like bullets , your not pushing any weight down the barrel. I concern is you ruined my bonding moment with 99! Lol

Leave a comment:

• FirstBubba
    replied
    Originally posted by Pmacc60 View Post

You are correct sir !
    With all due respect, pmacc60, he is dead wrong.
    Prop guns are inert plastic toys. Movies sometimes incorporate real guns for a touch of realism.
    I've seen cowboy shootouts with a Colt .45 Peacemaker where the shooter experienced no discernable recoil! (?)

The crew had been shooting the gun for fun off the set.

Leave a comment:

• Pmacc60
    replied
    They point the gun right at people and fire, also directly at the camera. The armorer carefully reviews all script, checks distances as powder burns are a problem from too close a distance. Digitally enhancing to substitute flash and smoke can be done but recoil looks more authentic with real blanks. Also filming with real blanks is much less expensive. The armorer is on set and is responsible for what are often very real firearms at all times and when the scene is finished at the work "cut" retakes possession of the firearm. Most people such as actors have no idea of firearms, that's why they have an armorer.

I've only a vague idea who Baldwin is, he certainly wouldn't be responsible for firearms on a set, he's an actor.
    If you pick up a firearm you are responsible, actors get firearm training as part of their job. Why was a real bullet in a gun on set is the question .

Leave a comment:

• Pmacc60
    replied
    Originally posted by 99explorer View Post
    Prop guns are basically real guns.
    You are correct sir !

Leave a comment:

• Pmacc60
    replied
    Originally posted by fitch270 View Post
    I’m not gloating on this one bit, but Karma is a bitch sometimes. Careful what you ask for.

Click image for larger version Name:	CA146787-5AEE-4365-9518-50BFD6634F9F.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	188.5 KB ID:	783583
    Damn Fitch, sometimes words come back to haunt !

Leave a comment:

• bowhunter75richard
    replied
    This entire incident really stinks of there being more going on here than is being brought out ! Why would there even be a live round in this shooting at all ? Who brought it to the filming site, and who placed it in the gun ? It almost sounds as though someone was planning a murder, but how could they have known ahead of the shooting just who would be shot ? None of this makes any sense, and how is it to be determined who to charge ? There appears to be two people as the most at fault; the one who gave the gun to Baldwin and claimed it a ‘cold’ gun, and also Baldwin for not making certain that it was ! I’ll make a prediction that there will never be murder charges brought in this matter, possibly negligent charges only.

Leave a comment:

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Future of Energy
    by 99explorer
    I really think you guys ought to move to Australia.
    Yesterday, 10:36 PM
  • Future of Energy
    by jhjimbo
    It is a mixed bag going forward. Some refiners have closed and no new ones will be built (approved). Everything will be based on supply and demand....
    Yesterday, 08:14 AM
  • Reply to Future of Energy
    by bowhunter75richard
    The cost of energy is now becoming a very serious issue. Much of the present problem is a result of refineries closing down due to declining income. And...
    Yesterday, 09:19 PM
  • Reply to Buffalo Shooting
    by 99explorer
    When your gripes are many
    and your rewards are few,
    remember that the mighty oak
    was once a nut like you.
    Yesterday, 09:01 PM
  • Buffalo Shooting
    by jhjimbo
    18 yo goes into a grocery store dressed in body armor and tactical gear. Records everything as he shoots 13 people.
    Gov. Kathy Hochul jumped all...
    05-15-2022, 12:24 AM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
Working...
X