• Show
Clear All

Yep, lpg.

Diesel today was $3.69, 87oct unleaded $3.45

Comment

Originally posted by fitch270 View Post
      Yep, lpg.

Diesel today was $3.69, 87oct unleaded $3.45
      Filled up with diesel today. $3.199/gal.
      This is crazy!
      Back in the Cah-tah days, I'd have to drive 150 miles to work in Houston. I could get TO Houston, but I would have to stop 3 times and sit in lines to eventually get enough fuel to get home without sweating bullets!

Comment

I use 93 octane in the Jeep Hemi, $4.20 last time I got it. It gets 21 to 22 mpg highway so I don't use it much around town. The Dodge Grand Caravan 3.7l can hit 30 mpg at reasonable speeds, about 24mpg at 70mph. Dodge uses 87 octane regular about $3.15now. I have tried flex fuel once and the flex fuel alcohol gas is very poor mileage and not worth the per gallon savings.
        I hsve a good supply of fuel, 87, 93 octane as well as 89 octane alcohol free generator gas and K-1 for heater.. My boat has a full gas tank available plus I have about 15 GI cans (steel cans, no plastic) full in case there is a interruption in supply.
        Last edited by jhjimbo; 10-21-2021, 05:04 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post
          I use 93 octane in the Jeep Hemi, $4.20 last time I got it. It gets 21 to 22 mpg highway so I don't use it much around town. The Dodge Grand Caravan 3.7l can hit 30 mpg at reasonable speeds, about 24mpg at 70mph. Dodge uses 87 octane regular about $3.15now. I have tried flex fuel once and the flex fuel alcohol gas is very poor mileage and not worth the per gallon savings.
          I hsve a good supply of fuel, 87, 93 octane as well as 89 octane alcohol free generator gas and K-1 for heater.. My boat has a full gas tank available plus I have about 15 GI cans (steel cans, no plastic) full in case there is a interruption in supply.
          I tried that ethanol bull hockey.
          You are spot on!
          My old Dodge pickup runs like a choking horse with that junk.....AND, you have to fill up again and again!

I also try to stay away from the diesel pumps that have "May contain __% Bio-Diesel" on them.
          Nasty stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post

I tried that ethanol bull hockey.
            You are spot on!
            My old Dodge pickup runs like a choking horse with that junk.....AND, you have to fill up again and again!

I also try to stay away from the diesel pumps that have "May contain __% Bio-Diesel" on them.
            Nasty stuff.
            Another American gas and oil project has just been defeated with the apparent Willow Project being shut down. If and when we become dependent on foreign oil again (as biden appears to make us do) you may be forced to be happy with any fuel that we can obtain ! It has to be sure stupidity to even think that America needs to depend on outside sources for oil dependency ! I have stated before that I am not in favor of Let’s Go Brandon, but I will use it instead of the original words out of respect for the site.

Comment

I drove cross country the first week of Oct. I left Thorne Bay Alaska paying $4.35. Last year it was a dollar cheaper. TB is a 500 odd people city. The next town is 45 miles away where the price drops to $3.85. Washington State was just under $4 and from there the price went down generally. I'm paying $3.65 in Pa up from under $3 in Ohio. Prices are nuts right now. Rib steaks in the Thorne Bay Grocery were $12.97 lb when I left. Here in Pa they are $16.97 lb. Hard to believe but our delivery system is so farckled right now that ups pretty much down and vice versa. You've got to hand it to bare shelves Biden,

, the guy knows how to pour sand into gears!!!

Let's GO Brandon!!

Comment

Originally posted by bowhunter75richard View Post

Another American gas and oil project has just been defeated with the apparent Willow Project being shut down. If and when we become dependent on foreign oil again (as biden appears to make us do) you may be forced to be happy with any fuel that we can obtain ! It has to be sure stupidity to even think that America needs to depend on outside sources for oil dependency ! I have stated before that I am not in favor of Let’s Go Brandon, but I will use it instead of the original words out of respect for the site.
                Lot's of farmers, bless their little pea picking hearts, base their annual production on providing corn to alcohol production.
                As long as hundreds of thousands (millions?) of acres are dedicated to ethanol production, we are pretty much screwed!

Let's go Brandon!

Comment

Originally posted by crm3006 View Post
                  From MattM37- " hunting more days could mean more meat, and meat's one of the things getting real pricey right now ..."

Yep. Meat is getting to be higher than a cat's back up a tree! Good luck with your hunting. Do you process your own, or use a commercial butcher?
                  Always butcher our own. Definitely get a lot that a commercial processor would toss. We don't make burger or sausage; after the steaks and roasts are done, all tidbits and trimmings get canned, or frozen as stew-meat. I've found that stew-meat, even the chunks still a little messy with silver-skin, sinew, or whatever, come out perfectly tender and good after a few hours in the Crock Pot.

Comment

From MattM37: "Always butcher our own....."

Only way to go. The Bookkeeper and I have been processing our own for about 20 years now, ever since I walked into the back room of a processing facility! Talk about filthy? I scrubbed the outside of my ice chests with Dawn and Clorox twice. Recovered the ice chests, and meat, bought a grinder and vacuum sealer, and never even considered using a processor again.
                    Never have tried canning meat, but have all the necessary equipment. Will you shoot me a PM with some tips, or source material? Or just put it on the forum, could be other users might like to have the information.
                    Have a great day,
                    crm

Comment

Only way to go. The Bookkeeper and I have been processing our own for about 20 years now, ever since I walked into the back room of a processing facility! Talk about filthy? I scrubbed the outside of my ice chests with Dawn and Clorox twice. Recovered the ice chests, and meat, bought a grinder and vacuum sealer, and never even considered using a processor again.
                      Never have tried canning meat, but have all the necessary equipment. Will you shoot me a PM with some tips, or source material? Or just put it on the forum, could be other users might like to have the information.
                      Have a great day,
                      crm
                      I began processing my own when I picked up a deer from a processor.
                      It was all in one brown grocery bag and the bill was nearly a hundred dollars!
                      Bought a meat grinder, a humongous roll of butcher paper, a roll of Glad Wrap and a masking tape dispenser.
                      I never looked back.

I love breakfast sausage. Try as I might, the seasoning kits just didn't do it and my attempts were in vain.
                      A chance meeting proved to be a God send.
                      Jack had worked in the sausage room at Armour meats in north Fort Worth after he was released from the Navy after WWII!.
                      A recipe so simple it hurts.
                      It'll make you wanna slap Jimmy Dean's momma! LOL!

Comment

Have a great day,
                        crm
                        Not to hijack Matt as I’m hoping he answers this as well, but I picked up a pressure canner last year so we could start doing it ourselves. We did one run that turned out satisfactory, just straight up canned cubes with a bit of salt. Next time we’ll try a few variations.

Advantages include very simple meal prep, it helps free up freezer space and you don’t run into power supply / freezer failure issues.

Downside right now is canning lid availability and it takes some time.

I found lots of information online just doing a search of “Canned Venison”. Most of the info was in agreement as to the process, the differences mainly being ingredients.

The Ball Canning Book came up a lot, apparently it’s a gospel of sorts.

Comment

Not to hijack Matt as I’m hoping he answers this as well, but I picked up a pressure canner last year so we could start doing it ourselves. We did one run that turned out satisfactory, just straight up canned cubes with a bit of salt. Next time we’ll try a few variations.

Advantages include very simple meal prep, it helps free up freezer space and you don’t run into power supply / freezer failure issues.

I found lots of information online just doing a search of “Canned Venison”. Most of the info was in agreement as to the process, the differences mainly being ingredients.

Actually, Fitch, I was going to ask you if you minded if I deferred to you on this. Really. I remembered that you had just posted about it not long ago, and even though my family did the non-pressure canning for years and never got sick, apparently it's now considered unsafe.

Comment

The "Ball Blue Book" is the Bible of the canning world! 😃!
                            I've got a "National" canner that belonged to my paternal grandmother. NO SEAL!
                            It's a "metal to metal" fit, but I do need a new pressure gauge and a weight.
                            It's so large, you could probably put a whole deer in it! 😉!

To me, "canned" meat is flavorless and no texture. It's like chewing a ball of cotton! 😖!

fitch270, were you talking jar flats or actual can lids?

You can also use jars to (ahem!) "can" meat.

I've helped my grandmother "can" vegetables! I can't remember now WHAT we canned over 60 years ago, but I got to run the "canner"!
                            Set the filled can on the plate.
                            Place a new, sterilized lid on top.
                            Raise the plate.
                            Set the sealer on "stage 1".
                            Rotate can fully, set sealer to "stage 2".
                            Rotate can fully, set sealer to "stage 3" and rotate fully the last time.
                            Lower plate and remove sealed can.
                            The canner had a 4th stage. If the lid didn't seal or look right, stage 4 would open the can and you start over with a new can and lid.

Comment

Have a great day,
                              crm
                              Glad to help, CRM, but see the post above to Fitch if you haven't already. The canning I always did was how my mom and older brothers did it -- just plain old "water bath" canning -- but pressure canning is apparently the only really safe way.

Here's what we did: (I keep saying "did" because I don't do it anymore, now that I've learned about the risks without the pressure canner.)

We boiled the jars and lids, then took them out with tongs. Filled them with the meat chunks to about 2/3 full, then added a good pinch of salt and enough water to just cover the meat. Screw on the lids and put into the big kettle and boil for a couple hours with the kettle lid on.

We'd then take them out and let them sit on the countertop until we heard each lid make a "snap" or "ping" sound. If a jar didn't snap, we tossed it -- bad seal. So I guess the method isn't totally without some safety precaution.

I wonder, actually, if there wasn't some kind of pressure cooking going on, what with the jars packed together, the lid on, the boiling .... It's weird, I know a lot of country people canned meat that way and nobody I ever heard of got sick from it. But then, my dad used to make us raw hamburger and onion sandwiches, too. Wouldn't eat one today if you paid me. But boy, were they good.

The other thing about the venison is, we never ate it straight out of the can -- it was always cooked again after a jar was opened.
                              Last edited by MattM37; 10-21-2021, 07:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MattM37 View Post

Actually, Fitch, I was going to ask you if you minded if I deferred to you on this. Really. I remembered that you had just posted about it not long ago, and even though my family did the non-pressure canning for years and never got sick, apparently it's now considered unsafe.

The safety aspect is standard info online so being a novice I’ll just say it’s readily available. Anyone interested in trying should read up on that anyway rather than taking the word of some guys on a hunting forum, lol.

I was interested in any recipes you might use. We just went simple to start thinking the end product would be more versatile. We’ve only used it a couple times, essentially what we ended up with was canned pot roast. Started with raw meat cubes and a little salt. We might try adding other things in next time. I’m not sure about browning the meat first only because of the extra cleanup and time involved. My wife assisted but was leaving this experiment up to me, the pressure canner makes her nervous.

Coincidentally my wife just discovered the other jars two nights ago when we were putting pickled jalapeño and banana peppers away. She’d forgotten about them over the summer but was excited because we’re down to our last two frozen roasts. We do a fair amount of soups this time of year so she was glad to still have some options available.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad