Dangerously Irresponsible Journalism

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dangerously Irresponsible Journalism

Here's an example of lazy journalism that could actually cause physical harm to people. The article, after mentioning permethrin to treat clothing, then recommends using permethrin directly on your skin.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/med...edgdhp&pc=U531

Hopefully anyone unfamiliar with insect repellents will use the directions on the container, not what they "learn" from The Today Show.

Plus it's another doomsayer headline when the facts further down in the article are much less menacing, but that's just par for the course these days.

A lot of chemicals are easily absorbed through the skin, nose, eyes and mouth. They all may have a negative effect on your body.

When you see a long chemical name with dashes and 1,2,3, notations, beware. Remember, many of these are formulated to kill something.
    Last edited by jhjimbo; 09-27-2021, 06:58 PM.

Comment

When I read the title I thought it was going to be about a college class. It’s almost like they must be teaching this stuff.

Comment

Someone said carry a dryer sheet in your pocket.

Comment

Egads and little fishes! I've known about mosquito control since old Heck was a pup!
          Pop kept a can of kerosene in the garage. Find standing water full of "wiggle tails" and a dollop or two of kerosene cured that problem.
          I grew up in east Texas. Mosquitoes, ticks and chiggers were just a fact of life.
          I've had chigger infestations that caused me to run fever.
          A bath (we didn't have a shower!) in water as hot as you could stand it with a couple of caps of Pine-Sol killed the little buggers, but it DID NOT kill the itch! LOL! That took about a week!
          ....but this thread is about irresponsible journalism.
          ...and we have tons of it!
          The MSM has gone crazy pushing liberalism.

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post
            Someone said carry a dryer sheet in your pocket.
            I do believe the mosquitoes this year would just use that dryer sheet for a napkin, after they'd enjoyed their meal and drained a man dry.

Comment

Originally posted by MattM37 View Post

I do believe the mosquitoes this year would just use that dryer sheet for a napkin, after they'd enjoyed their meal and drained a man dry.
              LOL! My grampa used to call them "gallonippers"! He claimed they got a gallon a nip!

I've never tried it, but I've had a lot of people tell me and swear by Avon "Skin-So-Soft" as an excellent mosquito repellent.

An oldtimer told me he a story about his grandfather.
              He heard they were hiring mule teams to help build up the port of Corpus Christi, TX.
              The mosquitoes were so bad, they would build smoke fires at night and picket their teams in the smoke.
              One man lost one of his mules when the mosquitoes blocked it's nostrils and smothered it.

Comment

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post

LOL! My grampa used to call them "gallonippers"! He claimed they got a gallon a nip!

I've never tried it, but I've had a lot of people tell me and swear by Avon "Skin-So-Soft" as an excellent mosquito repellent.

He heard they were hiring mule teams to help build up the port of Corpus Christi, TX.
                The mosquitoes were so bad, they would build smoke fires at night and picket their teams in the smoke.
                One man lost one of his mules when the mosquitoes blocked it's nostrils and smothered it.
                that is a pretty long yarn

Comment

Mosquitoes are attracted to CO2, so stop exhaling. Problem solved.

Comment

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post

I believe it. Louis L'Amour, in the historical notes to the Sackett novel, Lonely on the Mountain, writes of the mosquitoes in Canada, too, killing animals left outside at night. It is hard to believe that even thousands could take so much blood, but I wonder if maybe it was actually as much a stress response or something like anaphylaxis. I mean, thinking of how bad it can be just getting bit twenty times in an hour of fishing, it seems like even a horse or cow would have some kind of reaction after, say, the thousandth bite. Along with the danger of getting its nostrils plugged.

Comment

Think winter ticks and Maine moose. Accumulative with no way to hide. Literally death by a thousand (or so) cuts.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to MichiganSchool Shooting
                        by MattM37
                        I think a conviction might depend on how much the parents knew of the kid's drawings and comments beforehand, and how much time passed between their knowing...
                        Today, 03:37 PM
                      • MichiganSchool Shooting
                        by jhjimbo
                        It was reported today the parents of the 15yo shooter were in School THAT MORNING meeting with teachers and administration about the behavior of the shooter....
                        Yesterday, 10:53 PM
                      • Reply to MichiganSchool Shooting
                        by labrador12
                        Mom and her son were videoed at a range shooting the firearm. It was labeled mom and son shooting his early Christmas present. Obviously the parents are...
                        Today, 03:15 PM
                      • Reply to TGIF; Game On
                        by FirstBubba
                        Game.

The Stanley Brothers - "Old Rattler"

https://youtu.be/97x7tIMe2oc
                        Today, 02:55 PM
                      • TGIF; Game On
                        by fitch270
                        Who’s in?

Kansas

”Play the Game Tonight”