Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The times, they are a-changin'!

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • The times, they are a-changin'!

    The subject of AR platform shotguns was brought up on another site.

    Honestly guys? I love blued steel and walnut as much as the next guy, but let's be honest----times are changing.
    AR platform rifles are becoming more and more popular.
    I was hard core "anti AR" from the first time I laid eyes on one in 1977.
    As my kids got into AR's, I softened on them a little. They got pop to shoot some. Not bad.
    Then I stuck a scope on the oldest kid's DPMS Panther and was blown away as to how accurate it was!
    Now, I've gotten into building and hunting with AR's.

    Gentlemen, the AR has now invaded the shotgun world. How many of you are brave enough to step out into a dove field, duck marsh, trap field or goose pit with your AR12?
    Here's some of the current top picks.

    https://www.americanfirearms.org/best-ar12-shotguns/

  • #2
    I will use my Grade III Weatherby 12ga O/U no plastic. The M-16 sucked in 1967 and copies still sck now IMHO.

    Comment


    • #3
      I might not be a dyed in the wool gun person, but damn, don’t ascetics mean anything to people any more. The simple flowing lines of a shotgun are pleasing to the eye, easily carried and give the pleasant look of a hunting piece. This new ‘thing’ has no flow to it, too many sharp lines, too much protruding angles, hurts the eye just looking at it. Does not look in any manner to be comfortable to carry in the field. Just another gimmick for the gun manufacturers in order to suck money from non-traditionalists........of course that is only from a non dyed in the wool gun person 🙃

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by bowhunter75richard View Post
        I might not be a dyed in the wool gun person, but damn, don’t ascetics mean anything to people any more. The simple flowing lines of a shotgun are pleasing to the eye, easily carried and give the pleasant look of a hunting piece. This new ‘thing’ has no flow to it, too many sharp lines, too much protruding angles, hurts the eye just looking at it. Does not look in any manner to be comfortable to carry in the field. Just another gimmick for the gun manufacturers in order to suck money from non-traditionalists........of course that is only from a non dyed in the wool gun person 🙃
        I was a lot like you, bhr!
        Let's be honest, the AR platform has a lot to offer.
        Federally required 3 shot max is as easy as s mag swap.
        Stock length adjustment, longer or shorter, is a button push.
        Recoil is softer, even with 3" ammo.
        Familiarity with the AR platform easily converts to the shotgun platform.
        Yeppers, they don't look like any Browning or Rem O/U or Silver Pigeon or whatever, but functionality is out the roof!

        Fixed choke?
        So what?
        There are a plethora of options to make one barrel whatever choke you desire.

        P S. no more shiny polyurethane finishes to spook game! 😉!

        ...and yes, I still think aesthetics still count. ...and I do like the aesthetics of the AR platform. ...and of blued steel and walnut.
        Last edited by FirstBubba; 09-24-2021, 11:01 PM.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post
          I will use my Grade III Weatherby 12ga O/U no plastic. The M-16 sucked in 1967 and copies still sck now IMHO.
          I couldn't care less about an M-16. An AR15 is a far cry from 'Nam issue firearms.
          Over the last 54 years, the AR wasn't tossed onto a shelf and forgotten. Lot'sa updates and improvements over 5 decades jimbo.
          The original John M. Browning A5 shotgun designed in 1898 IS NOT the same A5 that came out of the factory yesterday.

          Comment


          • #6
            Shotguns are pointed, rifles are aimed. I seriously doubt an AR shotgun has any wing shooting feel to it at all. Home defense and turkeys sure, but no way am I going to be caught using one on woodcock. Doubt you’ll ever see one take Olympic Gold in International Trap either.

            Comment


            • #7
              Nope. Call me Fudd, Dud, or stuck-in-the-mud, but that ugly thing will never take the place of the graceful lines of my Model 12, the distinctive lines and reliability of my Browning A-5s, or the robust feel and reliability of my LH 1100 Magnum. No AR shotgun platforms in this here gun safe!

              Comment


              • #8
                No AR 15 shotguns for me either. Can’t imagine sitting in a duck blind or entering the grouse cover with a AR pulling out my magazine and tapping in my helmet ! Wait I don’t wear a helmet ….. ouch !

                Comment


                • #9
                  And speaking of grouse cover Pmacc, how would one of these ‘puppies’ even be carried in a matter of bringing one to shoulder in the instant of need ? Not to even mention trying to untangle it from all the brush clinging to all the protruding parts ! Like CRM stated, the lines of a Model 12 are distinctive. Like those of a 38-24-36 instead of a 42-48-54 ! Guns and slim lines are both nice to get one’s hands on..........

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by bowhunter75richard View Post
                    And speaking of grouse cover Pmacc, how would one of these ‘puppies’ even be carried in a matter of bringing one to shoulder in the instant of need ? Not to even mention trying to untangle it from all the brush clinging to all the protruding parts ! Like CRM stated, the lines of a Model 12 are distinctive. Like those of a 38-24-36 instead of a 42-48-54 ! Guns and slim lines are both nice to get one’s hands on..........
                    Covering fire I guess BHR , I imagine that we won’t see them used for wing shooting much. Walnut and blue steel
                    and wing shooting that’s my preference . I do use synthetic for waterfowl . BHR I do like your measurements , especially that top number!! Always room for excess in that area !

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      It’s nice to see some hunting and gun threads , thanks FB

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        You guys are funny! 🤣😂😄
                        This is the same "schtuff" crossbow hunters get during bow season!
                        Some states won't allow scopes during primitive arms season. The "telescopic sight" came into it's own during the Civil War. Now that's just pretty "primitive".
                        LOL!
                        Y'all better get ready. The AR shotgun is on the way.
                        I wish I could find one in 16 or 20 gauge. I'd like to give one a whirl. Just for kicks and giggles!

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by crm3006 View Post
                          Nope. Call me Fudd, Dud, or stuck-in-the-mud, but that ugly thing will never take the place of the graceful lines of my Model 12, the distinctive lines and reliability of my Browning A-5s, or the robust feel and reliability of my LH 1100 Magnum. No AR shotgun platforms in this here gun safe!
                          Oh '06! Get a grip cowboy dude! LOL!
                          Yeppers! I have M12's! Would'nt trade 'em for a gold monkey!
                          Wouldn't take for my 1932 Rem "Sportsman" 16 gauge. Wouldn't trade any of my blued steel and walnut for the looks of an AR!
                          Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

                          You know guys, I can remember the very first pickup I ever saw with an automatic transmission. About a '65 or '66 maroon and white Chevy half ton that belonged to Charlie Davis.
                          A pickup with an automatic was a special order! But they were considered "sissy" trucks.
                          In 2018, my eldest wanted a 1 ton to pull a 5th wheel trailer. A manual transmission was only available as a special order that pushed the cost up to about $70K!
                          Both my kids learned to drive standards.

                          All that aside, THE TIMES THEY ARE A-CHANGIN'!

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Now now Bubba , don’t get your panties in a bunch ! Lol you do what you want , if you like the AR platform more power to you. If your going in this direction I suggest a man bun , skinny jeans and a trip to StatBucks for a latte’ ! Lol FB you know I’m joking with you , put on together and post it!

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Can't picture calling an AR Elsie.

                              Comment

                              Welcome!

                              Collapse

                              Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

                              If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

                              And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

                              Right Rail 1

                              Collapse

                              Top Active Users

                              Collapse

                              There are no top active users.

                              Right Rail 2

                              Collapse

                              Latest Topics

                              Collapse

                              Right Rail 3

                              Collapse

                              Footer Ad

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X