X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fitch270 View Post

Dimes in a strip joint?

Sounds complicated.

I’ve probably heard this song 1000 times, never have seen the video before now.
    But of course I gave you the short story...

My friend had borrowed his dad's Ford Galaxy 500 and had picked me up at my parent's house (I was home from college). Well, after the strip club closed, it was 2 am and we got into that car, drunk off our asses. As can be seen in the photo, those had the ignition on the dash. Well, Mike was trying to put the key in and couldn't, so I grabbed his hand and helped guide. The car cranked and I think I passed out.

Next thing I remember, I woke with a start. We were up on the sidewalk, having gone about a hundred yards down the street. I got out to check damage and the right front tire was busted. Mike was obviously not able to drive so I dragged him over to the passenger side, backed us off the sidewalk and limped on that flat tire to a convivence store down the block.

Now we had light to change the tire but there wasn't a trunk key on the ring. Damn! A couple of rednecks pulled up and fortunately they had some tools. I asked them to take a hammer and chisel to that lock and they popped it right off. Success! There was a spare and jack in the trunk!

Mike was no help while I jacked the car and changed the tire, he'd passed out on his side and there was a growing pool of vomit on the pavement around his head. I let the jack back down and the tire was almost flat. Damn again! After getting Mike back into the passenger seat, I went in to see if they had an air hose. No joy, the place didn't have one.

Thinking it was time to call my mechanic dad, I went to the pay phone. That's when I discovered we didn't have a dime left between us. So, that's how I know we spent every last one!

Dad showed with a portable air tank sometime after 3 and fortunately the tire held. By then I'd sobered just enough to drive home with Dad following. I only took one wrong turn but we made it, both of us half dragging Mike in to sleep on one of the spare beds.

Well, at 6 am I had to get up and leave for Savannah. I was going to work there for the summer and had my car already packed. My girlfriend showed up to wish me a safe journey. Between her and my parents they got me breakfast and on the way. Didn't sober up until I got to Georgia, a couple of hours later....

Comment

The first time I heard of this band was in 1984, the night I saw them in concert. I can’t remember who but I’d bought a ticket for another group that canceled last minute. These guys were based out of Rochester NY and filled in. The show was so good I bought their “White Knuckle Ride” album a few weeks later when I saw it on a rack.

They had a good run but weren’t a household name.

This is very ZZ Top like, both in sound and video styles.

”Little Lady” off the previously mentioned album.

Comment

Originally posted by PigHunter View Post

But of course I gave you the short story...

My friend had borrowed his dad's Ford Galaxy 500 and had picked me up at my parent's house (I was home from college). Well, after the strip club closed, it was 2 am and we got into that car, drunk off our asses. As can be seen in the photo, those had the ignition on the dash. Well, Mike was trying to put the key in and couldn't, so I grabbed his hand and helped guide. The car cranked and I think I passed out.

Next thing I remember, I woke with a start. We were up on the sidewalk, having gone about a hundred yards down the street. I got out to check damage and the right front tire was busted. Mike was obviously not able to drive so I dragged him over to the passenger side, backed us off the sidewalk and limped on that flat tire to a convivence store down the block.

Now we had light to change the tire but there wasn't a trunk key on the ring. Damn! A couple of rednecks pulled up and fortunately they had some tools. I asked them to take a hammer and chisel to that lock and they popped it right off. Success! There was a spare and jack in the trunk!

Mike was no help while I jacked the car and changed the tire, he'd passed out on his side and there was a growing pool of vomit on the pavement around his head. I let the jack back down and the tire was almost flat. Damn again! After getting Mike back into the passenger seat, I went in to see if they had an air hose. No joy, the place didn't have one.

Thinking it was time to call my mechanic dad, I went to the pay phone. That's when I discovered we didn't have a dime left between us. So, that's how I know we spent every last one!

Dad showed with a portable air tank sometime after 3 and fortunately the tire held. By then I'd sobered just enough to drive home with Dad following. I only took one wrong turn but we made it, both of us half dragging Mike in to sleep on one of the spare beds.

Well, at 6 am I had to get up and leave for Savannah. I was going to work there for the summer and had my car already packed. My girlfriend showed up to wish me a safe journey. Between her and my parents they got me breakfast and on the way. Didn't sober up until I got to Georgia, a couple of hours later....

My first car was a ‘68 Rambler, very similar dash. LOTS of good memories of that car.

Your story reminds me of a guy that used to say “It’s a good thing we’re driving, we’re too drunk to walk”.

Amazing any of us survived back then.

Comment

Had this one in mind last night and forgot about it. Just came on the radio.

Comment

For those girls with one leg shorter... "Come On Eileen" by Dexys Midnight Runners

Come on Eileen, oh I swear what he means
            At this moment, you mean everything
            You in that dress, my thoughts I confess
            Verge on dirty, ah, come on Eileen

Last edited by PigHunter; 09-24-2021, 01:55 PM.

Comment

Follow the SCIENCE...

Comment

If you're not groovin' yet, this will get you there.
                Gloria Gaynor - I Will Survive [Official Video] 1978 [Audio iTunes Plus AAC M4A] - YouTube

I don't know if Gloria actually was a one-hit wonder, but this is the only song I've ever heard of hers.

Kind of like:
                IRON BUTTERFLY - IN A GADDA DA VIDA - 1968 (ORIGINAL FULL VERSION) CD SOUND & 3D VIDEO - YouTube

Comment

Originally posted by MattM37 View Post
                  If you're not groovin' yet, this will get you there.
                  Gloria Gaynor - I Will Survive [Official Video] 1978 [Audio iTunes Plus AAC M4A] - YouTube

I don't know if Gloria actually was a one-hit wonder, but this is the only song I've ever heard of hers.

Kind of like:
                  IRON BUTTERFLY - IN A GADDA DA VIDA - 1968 (ORIGINAL FULL VERSION) CD SOUND & 3D VIDEO - YouTube
                  I really like both of those!

Comment

More disco.

I’d love to hear Metallica cover this one, it has the tempo and enough crunch that I can just hear James Hetfield growling out the lyrics while the band really grinds it out.

Comment

My first car was a ‘68 Rambler, very similar dash. LOTS of good memories of that car.

Your story reminds me of a guy that used to say “It’s a good thing we’re driving, we’re too drunk to walk”.

'68 Rambler?
                      Those were "granny cars"! LOL!
                      Seriously, the little Rambler was NOT eye candy. It had about as much sex appeal as a brick and couldn't get out of it's own way! ...BUT....
                      my buddy had one. We all laughed at him. We grew up in the age of Chevelle SS 396, Shelby Cobra Mustang, Plymouth Roadrunner and the Pontiac GTO "Judge"!
                      Then he would show us that the front seats laid down, turning the interior into one huge, padded, foldout (ahem!) sofa! 😃!
                      The demand for Ramblers in our area skyrocketed! LOL!

Comment

'68 Rambler?
                        Seriously, the little Rambler was NOT eye candy. It had about as much sex appeal as a brick and couldn't get out of it's own way! ...BUT....
                        my buddy had one. We all laughed at him. We grew up in the age of Chevelle SS 396, Shelby Cobra Mustang, Plymouth Roadrunner and the Pontiac GTO "Judge"!
                        Then he would show us that the front seats laid down, turning the interior into one huge, padded, foldout (ahem!) sofa! 😃!

Comment

Definitely not one hit wonders, these guys were around for quite awhile. I actually met singer Pat Dinizio once and had a chance to speak with him about the band. They were out of New Jersey but he said they weren’t real popular in their home area.

Wish I had a chance to catch them in concert.

The Smithereens

Comment

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post

'68 Rambler?
                            Yep, a little ratchet action on a side handle and down they went.

On a two mile downhill stretch of interstate I did get that little 199 straight six pushing that sucker to 100 mph on the speedometer one time. Extra weight of four guys with me probably helped.

I was a geek but could fit up to 14 teeny boppers in mine. Rolling party.

Edit; There was a non granny version 2 door. 390 four speed with Hurst shifter.

Click image for larger version

Name:	324F9E06-1881-417C-9874-E06123E97E8F.jpeg
Views:	29
Size:	654.1 KB
ID:	781262

I lifted the rear on mine with air shocks, nice paint job with 5 spoke chrome hubcaps and BF Goodrich belted T/A tires. Also added a sport steering wheel from a junkyard AMC Gremlin. Looked much faster than it was but I still managed 2 speeding tickets my first year. Paid my own insurance from the get go.

Billy Idol sticker on the dash as well.
                            Last edited by fitch270; 09-24-2021, 03:10 PM.

Comment

Another from my parents record collection way back when.

Slide guitar FB!

Comment

Who can sing "Lovesick Blues" like Hank Williams?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Xu71i89xvs

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to 2050
                                  by DakotaMan
                                  That sounds a little bit racist jimbo. Another way to put it is that the majority of the countries that have failed have not not been mulit-racial. Given...
                                  Today, 07:42 PM
                                  by jhjimbo
                                  What will hunting (if any ) look like in 2050 ? Any prognosticators out there ?

With land becoming more and more densly populated, animals...
                                  11-24-2021, 10:00 AM
                                • Reply to Pres. H.R. Clinton (d)
                                  by franchi20
                                  Could be, but, Jill already has more houses than she can use. Except missing one on Nantucket....
                                  Today, 07:14 PM
                                • Pres. H.R. Clinton (d)
                                  by FirstBubba
                                  Wanna read something scarey?
                                  Try this on for size!
                                  Sadly, it makes perfect sense.

https://citizenfreepress.com/breaking/get-...
                                  Today, 05:34 PM
                                • Reply to Rittenhouse NOT Guilty
                                  by 99explorer
                                  If you were Kyle Rittenhouse's father and he said,
                                  "Hey Dad, there is a riot going on over in Kenosha. Can I go and bring my gun?"...
                                  Today, 06:56 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X