Anyone own a 6.0 powerstroke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fitch270 View Post

Side note, one of the company trucks was a F550 crane rig. The oil pan on that one rusted out to where a patch wouldn’t hold. Dealer had to pull the entire nose off the truck to lift the engine high enough to replace the pan. After some other incidentals it was about a $10k fix.
    Yep cab comes off for bulletproofing also. That’s why it so high. Truck without bullet proofing would be 14-20k bulletproofing is another 4-5k. I will be buying for about 15k depends on what else I have him add. The exhaust work alone for the up pipes and 5 inch turbo back exhaust parts and labor is about 1400 bucks. So I will be doing ok.

Comment

Sweet. Sounds like you’ve got it covered, best of luck!

Comment

Originally posted by fitch270 View Post
        Sweet. Sounds like you’ve got it covered, best of luck!
        The 6.0 is usually good for about 300-400k more if properly maintained the bottom end is one the better of the three. 6.0,6.4,6.7. They can handle 700 horsepower before you have change rods. After missing almost four weeks of work now due to covid I’m done with making payments. My truck is going the camper is getting refinanced 9.5 points in savings. Bosses car is going to get the difference of my truck payment every month it will be getting almost three payments a month paid on it every month. And when the car payment is gone it’s going to vanguard ETF after that until I retire. My house is so cheap I’m not even worried about it. We stole our house we were blessed. We save money every paycheck but it pisses me off to see the account get smaller. My retirement and overall financial well being is worth more to me than a fancy new truck.

Comment

I've been running an '01 Dodge 3500 w/Cummins and 6 spd.
          She's 20 years old, fixing to turn over 400k and still runs like a top.
          In fact, we put 568 miles on it last Sat. Still gets around 16mpg.

Youngest had a rodeo pal whose dad was a diesel mechanic. He had 2 pre '00 Dodge 2500's w/Cummins he rebuilt. Looked like they just rolled out of the showroom.

I asked him about the other diesels of the day.
          He said there was no reason on God's green earth to build an 8 cylinder diesel.
          A 6 cylinder has a longer stroke and more torque and he hated trying to get under the hood of a Ford. The engine compartment was crammed full. No room to work.
          Soon after, we got our '01.
          The same time, another rodeo dad was bragging he just got a killer deal on a 1 ton Bow-Tie with the new Duramax diesel and Allison transmission.
          Saw him a year later in Odessa, TX at a rodeo. He was driving a new truck.
          Said his wife didn't like the club cab and he stepped up to a crew cab.
          His daughter told me later that he had gutted the Duramax and Allison pulling a loaded four horse slant load. We were on a west Texas circuit and coved twice the miles he covered with the same 4 horse setup with our Dodge 3500 w/Cummins.
          We're still driving the same '01 Dodge.
          Body ain't much to brag about anymore, but it runs like a top.

The kid's friend's diesel mechanic dad said if you wanted to run up and down the highway doing 80mph, get the "Powerstroke".
          If you just want a good pulling pickup, get a Cummins.

The Cummins in my truck was designed by Mercedes Benz. In 2005, Dodge began installing an updated version of the same engine. It may be an updated version, but we bought a new '06 that was a piece of junk.
          I have no idea what engine Dodge is using now.

I can show you an '02 3500 with the Cummins, 6 spd and 4wd with about 600k on it. No problems.

'dawg, don't know what to tell you mi amigo. I'm a one truck man.
          Against all advice and common sense, we sold the '06 and kept the '01. The '06 has since cratered.

Comment

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post
            I've been running an '01 Dodge 3500 w/Cummins and 6 spd.
            She's 20 years old, fixing to turn over 400k and still runs like a top.
            In fact, we put 568 miles on it last Sat. Still gets around 16mpg.

Youngest had a rodeo pal whose dad was a diesel mechanic. He had 2 pre '00 Dodge 2500's w/Cummins he rebuilt. Looked like they just rolled out of the showroom.

I asked him about the other diesels of the day.
            He said there was no reason on God's green earth to build an 8 cylinder diesel.
            A 6 cylinder has a longer stroke and more torque and he hated trying to get under the hood of a Ford. The engine compartment was crammed full. No room to work.
            Soon after, we got our '01.
            The same time, another rodeo dad was bragging he just got a killer deal on a 1 ton Bow-Tie with the new Duramax diesel and Allison transmission.
            Saw him a year later in Odessa, TX at a rodeo. He was driving a new truck.
            Said his wife didn't like the club cab and he stepped up to a crew cab.
            His daughter told me later that he had gutted the Duramax and Allison pulling a loaded four horse slant load. We were on a west Texas circuit and coved twice the miles he covered with the same 4 horse setup with our Dodge 3500 w/Cummins.
            We're still driving the same '01 Dodge.
            Body ain't much to brag about anymore, but it runs like a top.

The kid's friend's diesel mechanic dad said if you wanted to run up and down the highway doing 80mph, get the "Powerstroke".
            If you just want a good pulling pickup, get a Cummins.

The Cummins in my truck was designed by Mercedes Benz. In 2005, Dodge began installing an updated version of the same engine. It may be an updated version, but we bought a new '06 that was a piece of junk.
            I have no idea what engine Dodge is using now.

I can show you an '02 3500 with the Cummins, 6 spd and 4wd with about 600k on it. No problems.

'dawg, don't know what to tell you mi amigo. I'm a one truck man.
            Against all advice and common sense, we sold the '06 and kept the '01. The '06 has since cratered.
            No doubt a Cummins is a beast but I just can’t like a dodge truck. When I used to sling wrenches i cried when i got work order for anything that was Chrysler product. The last good truck they made was the 80s power wagons.

Comment

Originally posted by Milldawg View Post
              It willl have the complete bulletproof egr delete 5 inch turbo back exhaust. Stainless up pipes. Probably going to go ahead and rebuild the turbo and put upgraded turbine and compressor wheels. And if I can sneak it by the wife a custom tuner. It won’t lack for power dragging an 8,000 lbs camper. Biggest part is I can pay cash for it and and get rid of my current 2018 GMC Sierra crew cab 4x4 and the huge payment that goes along with it. And the wife has seen it a likes it. Gave me the go ahead to paint it. She’s a country girl at heart. She likes to hear to a diesel sing more than she lets on.
              A friend has always had Ford diesel and once when in Detroit a garage specialized in hopping them up in a way that does not void the warranty. He really punishes them. Coming out of WV on the big hill it's pedal to the metal all the way, even though the gauges and the computer are screaming at him . I think they call it 6 mile Mtn. up up and away.
              A Co. I worked for made the ceramic impellers for the turbos. Called Liquid Metals Div. located in Las Vegas.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Diversfication: What goes around comes around.
                by 99explorer
                "Jury awards $10M to former exec who said he was fired because he is white male."...
                Today, 04:16 PM
              • Reply to The 25th Amendment
                by rock rat
                I've said before (but not here) if Harris were the nominee I'd be in danger of voting Trump again, and you know how much I appreciate Trump....
                Today, 04:11 PM
              • The 25th Amendment
                by FirstBubba
                Kamala refers to "Creepy" Joe as the Titanic!
                Dr. Jill keeps asking if they can use the 25th Amendment to remove a sitting VEEP! LOL!...
                Yesterday, 07:02 PM
              • Reply to The 25th Amendment
                by bowhunter75richard
                It is rather shocking, although it should not be, since it involves rr ! He appears to have no concerns, worries or ill thoughts of the possibility that...
                Today, 03:01 PM
              • Reply to The Greatest
                by jhjimbo
                Benoit family was from Vermont although I am sure they hunted Maine as well....
                Today, 02:02 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X