Anyone own a 6.0 powerstroke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone own a 6.0 powerstroke

Thinking of buying a bullet proofed 06 F-250 power stoke crew cab 4x4. Anyone have one. Want a truck I can drag my camper up any hill I want to.

If it's bulletproof, go ahead. I follow the idea that friends don't let friends buy Fords.

Comment

Ford doesn't seem to stay with any diesel very long. I had a buddy with one who had his oil pan rust out. GMs run well for me. I've got 110,000 on my 2013 Chevy as I get ready to put the camper back on and drive from Bellingham Wash to north of Pittsburgh in Pa at the end of the month.

Comment

My employer has had several Ford diesels over the years, loaded down service rigs. The ones I’ve driven didn’t lack for power and the engines held up well. The trucks themselves get beat into the ground eventually and rust out, the company replaces based on availability not brand loyalty.

Truck market is tough right now, for a clean well maintained ride at a good price I doubt you’d get hurt reselling if it didn’t suit you. Vehicles can be funny that way.

Comment

Originally posted by Milldawg View Post
          Thinking of buying a bullet proofed 06 F-250 power stoke crew cab 4x4. Anyone have one. Want a truck I can drag my camper up any hill I want to.
          All I know about the power stroke is some sizes were good, others not. Some were made by Cummins or IH, can't remember, later ones are made by Ford. It definately has the power.
          My Jeep with the Hemi can pass anybody towing my camper up hills. 400hp and I think it is 450 ft lbs torque.
          Call the 'Car Pro' on the radio out of Dallas, Sat and Sun around noon. Very knowledgeable. He is a past Ford Dealer.
          The CarProUSA Radio Show | CarProUSA

Comment

Originally posted by labrador12 View Post
            Ford doesn't seem to stay with any diesel very long. I had a buddy with one who had his oil pan rust out. GMs run well for me. I've got 110,000 on my 2013 Chevy as I get ready to put the camper back on and drive from Bellingham Wash to north of Pittsburgh in Pa at the end of the month.
            Are you close to Indiana, PA? I used to work with a customer there.

Comment

Originally posted by franchi20 View Post
              If it's bulletproof, go ahead. I follow the idea that friends don't let friends buy Fords.
              I never warmed up to them but won’t dismiss Fords as a work vehicle. No matter the version the styling never impresses me.

My sister’s husband has been a GM guy forever but two years ago switched to Ford for the price and the bigger rear seating. Then he bought a camper and found out one reason why it was cheaper, not a single tow option on it.

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post

All I know about the power stroke is some sizes were good, others not. Some were made by Cummins or IH, can't remember, later ones are made by Ford. It definately has the power.
                My Jeep with the Hemi can pass anybody towing my camper up hills. 400hp and I think it is 450 ft lbs torque.
                Call the 'Car Pro' on the radio out of Dallas, Sat and Sun around noon. Very knowledgeable. He is a past Ford Dealer.
                The CarProUSA Radio Show | CarProUSA
                This one will have about 450 horse and about 800lbs of torque. International harvester makes them.
                Last edited by Milldawg; 09-17-2021, 08:30 PM.

Comment

It willl have the complete bulletproof egr delete 5 inch turbo back exhaust. Stainless up pipes. Probably going to go ahead and rebuild the turbo and put upgraded turbine and compressor wheels. And if I can sneak it by the wife a custom tuner. It won’t lack for power dragging an 8,000 lbs camper. Biggest part is I can pay cash for it and and get rid of my current 2018 GMC Sierra crew cab 4x4 and the huge payment that goes along with it. And the wife has seen it a likes it. Gave me the go ahead to paint it. She’s a country girl at heart. She likes to hear to a diesel sing more than she lets on.

Comment

Originally posted by fitch270 View Post
                    My employer has had several Ford diesels over the years, loaded down service rigs. The ones I’ve driven didn’t lack for power and the engines held up well. The trucks themselves get beat into the ground eventually and rust out, the company replaces based on availability not brand loyalty.

Truck market is tough right now, for a clean well maintained ride at a good price I doubt you’d get hurt reselling if it didn’t suit you. Vehicles can be funny that way.
                    That’s why I’m getting rid of my 2018 it’s worth more than I owe.
                    Last edited by Milldawg; 09-17-2021, 08:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by franchi20 View Post
                      Are true friend doesn’t let his friends drive dodges.

Comment

Originally posted by labrador12 View Post
                        Long story short. Went to service an antique Detroit diesel 453. Ran a service truck for years working on heavy equipment. Anyways went to pull the drain plug and the whole bung broke out of the pan oil all over the dang place every where but the bucket. And no it’s still not funny. Guy working with me almost pissed his pants laughing. Anyways a 4:45 on a Wednesday afternoon there no place open to buy a brazing rod. I know I know should have had one on the truck. Brazing is lost art and has been for 25 years. Anyways the guy working with me is freaking out after quits laughing. Looked around on my truck and found a uniform hanger. Brazed the bung back in with out a brazing head #1 cutting torch head. It can be done thank god it was an old motor with a thick pan. In all my years as a mechanic never seen one rust out it got oil on the inside. Seen plenty of holes tore in them. Connecting rods and such. Punctures also. Anyways short store got long my bad.

Comment

That’s why I’m getting rid of my 2018 it’s worth than I owe.
                          Understood, lots of that going on now. I’d just be careful if you’re happy with it because if you end up not liking the Ford you may end up in a pickle.

IIRC, you went with a 1/2 ton decked out GMC? The Ford will likely tow better but if you’re racking up miles not towing you’ll give up comfort. May not be worth the monetary gain.

Would be nice to test drive the Ford, including hooking up the camper if possible.

Comment

Long story short. Went to service an antique Detroit diesel 453. Ran a service truck for years working on heavy equipment. Anyways went to pull the drain plug and the whole bung broke out of the pan oil all over the dang place every where but the bucket. And no it’s still not funny. Guy working with me almost pissed his pants laughing. Anyways a 4:45 on a Wednesday afternoon there no place open to buy a brazing rod. I know I know should have had one on the truck. Brazing is lost art and has been for 25 years. Anyways the guy working with me is freaking out after quits laughing. Looked around on my truck and found a uniform hanger. Brazed the bung back in with out a brazing head #1 cutting torch head. It can be done thank god it was an old motor with a thick pan. In all my years as a mechanic never seen one rust out it got oil on the inside. Seen plenty of holes tore in them. Connecting rods and such. Punctures also. Anyways short store got long my bad.
                            Side note, one of the company trucks was a F550 crane rig. The oil pan on that one rusted out to where a patch wouldn’t hold. Dealer had to pull the entire nose off the truck to lift the engine high enough to replace the pan. After some other incidentals it was about a $10k fix.

Comment

Originally posted by fitch270 View Post

Understood, lots of that going on now. I’d just be careful if you’re happy with it because if you end up not liking the Ford you may end up in a pickle.

IIRC, you went with a 1/2 ton decked out GMC? The Ford will likely tow better but if you’re racking up miles not towing you’ll give up comfort. May not be worth the monetary gain.

Would be nice to test drive the Ford, including hooking up the camper if possible.
                              My 18 is z71 crew cab slt premium plus 4x4 with the full tow package it rides like a log wagon. Factory 20 inch rims with short side wall 275/55r20 tire.
                              The 250 is a little bit longer 6 3/4 bed and I’m not going to run mud tires. Figure I’m going to need new shocks anyways. Bilstein shocks are in my future and the truck is bone stock no lift no shade tree has been messing with it. That’s one reason why I’m interested in it. A touch screen radio with blue tooth is 150-200 bucks. The truck is a lariat not an xl or xlt work truck. And if I absolutely love the truck which I think I will it will be getting turned into a country Cadillac. Leveled, rims, new carpet, new interior heated seats. If you really think about the touch screen I my truck is the biggest thing different. Tech wise and I don’t use all the stuff it does anyways. My phone does all of that already. Satellite radio and gps functions factory gps doesn’t hold a candle to AT&T maps. My grandsons have been asking me to build a monster truck. Their dad has a 2500 ram on 35x12.50s crew cab black. But I’m not a dodge guy. If I can get this one looking good then I know I can talk the boss into a second one for here lol! I have a master plan. And yes he is going to let drive for a couple of weeks before I decide completely. He’s in no hurry the trucks sell themselves. He knows what he got.
                              Last edited by Milldawg; 09-17-2021, 09:05 PM.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Bcg 280ai
                                by DakotaMan
                                Congratulations Ernie! Nice buck. You've got me thinking about a pistol project. You have some fine pistols indeed. Antelope is my favorite meat. Way...
                                Today, 05:01 PM
                              • Bcg 280ai
                                by Ernie
                                BCG 280 Ackley Improved XP-100. This custom XP-100 shoots so good, and everyone who has shot it loves it.
                                I finally was able to draw first blood...
                                Today, 02:03 PM
                              • Reply to TGIF: Fired Up Friday
                                by PigHunter
                                RAMMSTEIN - Fire!

(Translation To: Feuer Frei!)

Whoever knows pain becomes criticized
                                From the fire that burned up the...
                                Today, 04:17 PM
                              • TGIF: Fired Up Friday
                                by fitch270
                                Easy one this week that should cover all kinds of styles.

Lighting it up with one from The Cult

”Fire Woman”...
                                Yesterday, 07:47 AM
                              • Reply to TGIF: Fired Up Friday
                                by PigHunter
                                How was the hunting?...
                                Today, 04:10 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...