Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MattM37
    replied
    Thanks, Fitch -- interesting info, and you also triggered some good memories of my friend in high school who introduced me to punk and alternative music. She was always telling me "back stories" * like that about singers and bands, and she was also a big fan of Billy Idol. In fact, I remember her commenting at one point that he was "the hottest guy alive," though she really was first and foremost about the music.

* - She was always saying, when a song or band would come on the radio, "Okay, so the backstory on this one is ...." She probably had subscriptions to all those music "fanzines" they were still publishing back then.

Leave a comment:

• fitch270
    replied
    One more. The ending to “The Breafast Club” had a very Idol like image.

Click image for larger version

Name:	9A8CEA9B-0D8F-476A-B980-0D8A3F77336A.jpeg
Views:	38
Size:	13.9 KB
ID:	780950

Leave a comment:

• fitch270
    replied
    Another Idol tangent.

Some people think that the Simple Minds song actually is Billy Idol singing it. Turns out the producer, Keith Forsey, worked extensively with Idol around that period. I guess for some reason Idol turned down the song for the movie so Simple Minds got the gig. Forsey made it sound like Idol.

Years later Idol covered the song for his “Vital Idol“ greatest hits CD. That had more edge to it than the movie one.

Edit; turns out I posted a video from a tribute band. Scratch that.

Here’s the Billy Idol version

p
    Last edited by fitch270; 09-21-2021, 10:38 PM.

Leave a comment:

• fitch270
    replied
    Originally posted by MattM37 View Post
    I just watched Wayne's World for the first time in my life a couple months ago. It was excellent.
    Regarding the cheese factor:
    John Parr - St. Elmo's Fire (Man In Motion) (Official Music Video) - YouTube

Actually, a pretty good song. There's just something about the Brat Pack that makes me cringe. Except for Judd Nelson -- I think he was a darn good actor.

As a Billy Idol fan I could never figure out how they used his likeness in the huge mural in “Jules” apartment but didn’t include him on the soundtrack. I can’t get a pic to load but can add this clip to show it.

Leave a comment:

• fitch270
    replied
    I’d meant to mention the Brat Pack earlier. Yeah I’m a fan in general but it definitely depends on the overall cast. Some just seemed to click together better.

Another classic “The Breakfast Club”

Simple Minds; “ Don’t You Forget About Me”

Leave a comment:

• MattM37
    replied
    I just watched Wayne's World for the first time in my life a couple months ago. It was excellent.
    Regarding the cheese factor:
    John Parr - St. Elmo's Fire (Man In Motion) (Official Music Video) - YouTube

Actually, a pretty good song. There's just something about the Brat Pack that makes me cringe. Except for Judd Nelson -- I think he was a darn good actor.

Leave a comment:

• fitch270
    replied
    Originally posted by PigHunter View Post
    And from Wayne's World...

Excellent!

Leave a comment:

• fitch270
    replied
    Originally posted by PigHunter View Post
    Speaking of cheesy, how could I have forgotten this one?

OMG!
    I know a guy who could recite dang near the entire script. He’d do the wedding vow scene and have us in stitches.

Gotta do it.

Last edited by fitch270; 09-21-2021, 08:03 PM.

Leave a comment:

• PigHunter
    replied
    And from Wayne's World...

Leave a comment:

• PigHunter
    replied
    Speaking of cheesy, how could I have forgotten this one?

Leave a comment:

• fitch270
    replied
    Originally posted by MattM37 View Post

I remember how the 80s always had that whole marketing package: The movie, the song(s), and the song's video (which usually was some sort of take on the movie -- the singer or band with the actors, or acting out a scene, or some cheesy thing. That kind of died out by the early 90s, thank goodness. Other than the disco hits of the 70s, I don't think there've been many films in other decades that were so heavy on soundtracks.

Cheesy? David Hasselhoff made a fortune off cheese.

Leave a comment:

• MattM37
    replied
    Originally posted by fitch270 View Post

This week was especially heavy on rock songs. I also got stuck in the 80’s. I realized soon into it that by far most of my movie watching was from that time period. The only two movies I’ve seen in a theater in over 20 years were “Castaway” with my wife before the kids came and The computer remake of “The Lion King” that we saw as a family because my daughter wanted to see it.
    I remember how the 80s always had that whole marketing package: The movie, the song(s), and the song's video (which usually was some sort of take on the movie -- the singer or band with the actors, or acting out a scene, or some cheesy thing. That kind of died out by the early 90s, thank goodness. Other than the disco hits of the 70s, I don't think there've been many films in other decades that were so heavy on soundtracks.

Leave a comment:

• fitch270
    replied
    No doubt the three of us drive these for the most part, but I’ve got enough positive feedback to keep ‘em coming.

Besides, I enjoy it and life’s all about me.

😎

Leave a comment:

• PigHunter
    replied
    Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post

Duets (Tammy and George, etc), instrumentals.
    You guys get pretty heavy into the rock stuff, maybe something a bit softer?
    I dunno, fitch270, I try and think of some stuff to throw out to keep it interesting.
    I posted several softer songs.

Leave a comment:

• PigHunter
    replied
    I tried to go with a variety from different decades. But as can be seen, I like Western and War movies. Intentionally stayed away from singer biography movies

Leave a comment:

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Omicron
    by jhjimbo
    I have heard the differential diagnosis is based on the mild temp increase up to about 101, not higher.
    My normal temp is 97, so the 101 rule won't...
    Today, 01:29 AM
  • Omicron
    by jhjimbo
    Name for new African virus. In Greek means 'we're screwed'.
    11-26-2021, 02:05 PM
  • Reply to Wild or Store Bought
    by FirstBubba
    I can feel my jaw muscles torquing up now! Man those things are G-U-D "good"!...
    Yesterday, 10:56 PM
  • Wild or Store Bought
    by jhjimbo
    What is your preference for Turkeys ? I was at a home that cooked both and I have to say the wild turkey was very good. No white meat and very moist...
    11-24-2021, 10:19 AM
  • Reply to Books for Christmas
    by FirstBubba
    If anyone is a true outdoors "person", any Peter Hathaway Capstick book is a grand read and anything by Gene Hill is good.
    I'm sure there...
    Yesterday, 10:47 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
Working...
X