Burgers, what’s on yours?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MattM37 View Post
    I had a good restaurant burger once that had sweet, roasted red peppers on it. That was really good.

Speaking of restaurants, I can't understand some of those places you see on food shows that pile umpteen oddball things on the burger. I can see a fried egg or a slice of whatever, but some of those places even put the french fries on the burger! What's the appeal? Doesn't seem like you could even eat it burger-style, by hand -- some of those burgers are 7-8 inches high.

I love horseradish, but only cold, on cold leftover rare roast beef. On a hot sandwich, it's just kind of weird.
    On a restaurant show they cooked a burger so big it was moved around with a fork lift. They said it would feed all the local football team.

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post

On a restaurant show they cooked a burger so big it was moved around with a fork lift. They said it would feed all the local football team.
      How'd they get it cooked, do you remember? And how'd they flip it?!

Comment

Originally posted by MattM37 View Post

How'd they get it cooked, do you remember? And how'd they flip it?!
        I don't remember. It was the food traveling road show with the guy with the gray/white 'leave it to beaver' hair style.

Comment

+1 on the cold roast beef Matt. I’ll partake in horseradish when it’s in dip form for chips but don’t see it very often. I’ll need to keep this in mind.

Richard; You’d get the old green check mark for this thread.

FB; Hash and eggs aren’t meal specific, they’re good anytime.

Comment

The thing that bothers me is when they purposely serve way more than any normal person can eat.
            In Amarillo, TX, the "Big Tex Steakhouse" serves a 72 ounce sirloin steak. If you can eat it all in one hour, the steak is free!

A pancake house that serves a pancake 10 inches across and 1 1/2 inch thick.

The "Rock House" in Rockdale, TX served a chicken fried steak that covered a serving platter. Any sides came on a separate plate.

A burger joint that served a burger 8" across. The Sunbeam bakery in Tyler, TX made custom buns for them. The patty weighed a pound uncooked.

Phipps BBQ sold a "steak" that proved to be a shoulder roast when served. It was HUGE! It was very good and I have eaten a whole one! 😳!

There are several other places I've seen on TV or visited that seemed to delight in over serving food.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	6BC34327-8AE9-4715-AFAF-15D31B21578F.jpeg
Views:	23
Size:	3.01 MB
ID:	780374

We were talking hot peppers, currently have some chilies in the dehydrator. Had some early ones he picked and they’ve been sitting on the counter. He decided to dry them and wants to make red pepper flakes. The two plants in the garden are absolutely loaded with them, as are several banana pepper plants. Still waiting on the bell plants as usual. Hopefully they’re ready before we have to can what’s left of our tomatoes so we’ll have fresh salsa.

Comment

#1 Bubba, I have been to the Big Texan, but didn't try the 72 oz. steak because of the add ons, the shrimp cocktail, baked potatoe the size of a cantaloupe, and the roll.
                Question: who ever heard of a chicken fried steak that was too big?
                Question 2: What in the wide world is wasabi? Sounds like some nasty sushi dish.
                Horseradish is like my ex-mother-in-law. All right in small doses. Very small doses. I like alittle bit of horseradish whe eating prime rib in a restaurant.

Comment

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post
                  The thing that bothers me is when they purposely serve way more than any normal person can eat.
                  In Amarillo, TX, the "Big Tex Steakhouse" serves a 72 ounce sirloin steak. If you can eat it all in one hour, the steak is free!

A pancake house that serves a pancake 10 inches across and 1 1/2 inch thick.

The "Rock House" in Rockdale, TX served a chicken fried steak that covered a serving platter. Any sides came on a separate plate.

A burger joint that served a burger 8" across. The Sunbeam bakery in Tyler, TX made custom buns for them. The patty weighed a pound uncooked.

Phipps BBQ sold a "steak" that proved to be a shoulder roast when served. It was HUGE! It was very good and I have eaten a whole one! 😳!

There are several other places I've seen on TV or visited that seemed to delight in over serving food.
                  My folks like huge portions, they split one meal between them and take home any leftovers. They actually have a routine taking advantage of it. Mom still hasn’t learned to cook for two adults, can’t break the big family habit.

Comment

Originally posted by crm3006 View Post
                    #1 Bubba, I have been to the Big Texan, but didn't try the 72 oz. steak because of the add ons, the shrimp cocktail, baked potatoe the size of a cantaloupe, and the roll.
                    Question: who ever heard of a chicken fried steak that was too big?
                    Question 2: What in the wide world is wasabi? Sounds like some nasty sushi dish.
                    Horseradish is like my ex-mother-in-law. All right in small doses. Very small doses. I like alittle bit of horseradish whe eating prime rib in a restaurant.
                    You’re on the right track, wasabi is Japanese horseradish. Have never compared the two side by side and have no intention.

Name:	5E04CE0E-BB06-44FD-B21C-D42969B80C15.jpeg
Views:	25
Size:	113.7 KB
ID:	780378

Probably heresy for you but I’m fond of IHOP chicken fried steak. Cracker Barrel too but don’t get to either very often. Have been known to eat too much.

Comment

There is a place called T-bone Tom's in Kemah, TX that makes the best chicken fried steak I have ever eaten that The Bookkeeper didn't cook. They have large, and small servings. The large will almost cover a dinner platter. They serve a really good prime rib also, on the night that is prime rib special night. (Horseradish optional.)
                      T-bone Tom's has been featured on several TV cooking shows, and I am told, used to be a favorite hangout of some of the old time astronauts.

Comment

Originally posted by fitch270 View Post

You’re on the right track, wasabi is Japanese horseradish. Have never compared the two side by side and have no intention.

Name:	5E04CE0E-BB06-44FD-B21C-D42969B80C15.jpeg
Views:	25
Size:	113.7 KB
ID:	780378

Probably heresy for you but I’m fond of IHOP chicken fried steak. Cracker Barrel too but don’t get to either very often. Have been known to eat too much.
                        IHOP and Cracker Barrel have a CFS that is mass produced in some food prep warehouse in Wobegone, WI or somewhere else.
                        It ain't bad, but it's pretty much always the same. Meh.

The very best, or sometimes the worst, chicken fried steak, is in some M&P hole in the wall "cookery".

Comment

Originally posted by rock rat View Post
                          I save the fat from beef brisket and mix it in with the elk meat (we call it deer meat and elk meat out here). Otherwise too dry. Sesame seed bun toasted, catsup, mustard, slice of raw onion.
                          Started using straight beef fat for some of our grind last year. Local processor can’t sell it but can give it away. We settled on a 9:1 ratio, just enough to hold things together with a lot of draining.

We had been mixing 8:2 deer to bacon, that makes good burgers but is a waste for things like tacos and chili. Now we do both for different meals. We rarely buy beef, usually only if guests are coming over who don’t appreciate game meat.

Comment

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post

IHOP and Cracker Barrel have a CFS that is mass produced in some food prep warehouse in Wobegone, WI or somewhere else.
                            It ain't bad, but it's pretty much always the same. Meh.

The very best, or sometimes the worst, chicken fried steak, is in some M&P hole in the wall "cookery".
                            Maybe I’ll ask for some horseradish next time. 🥵

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to The 25th Amendment
                              by rock rat
                              I've said before (but not here) if Harris were the nominee I'd be in danger of voting Trump again, and you know how much I appreciate Trump....
                              Today, 04:11 PM
                            • The 25th Amendment
                              by FirstBubba
                              Kamala refers to "Creepy" Joe as the Titanic!
                              Dr. Jill keeps asking if they can use the 25th Amendment to remove a sitting VEEP! LOL!...
                              Yesterday, 07:02 PM
                            • Reply to The 25th Amendment
                              by bowhunter75richard
                              It is rather shocking, although it should not be, since it involves rr ! He appears to have no concerns, worries or ill thoughts of the possibility that...
                              Today, 03:01 PM
                            • Reply to The Greatest
                              by jhjimbo
                              Benoit family was from Vermont although I am sure they hunted Maine as well....
                              Today, 02:02 PM
                            • The Greatest
                              by jhjimbo
                              Subject: Great Hunters

Great story about great hunters. Check out the stock on Larry Benoits' Remington 760, 30-06.In the Adirondacks there...
                              Yesterday, 10:03 AM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X