Burgers, what’s on yours?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Burgers, what’s on yours?

The wife and kids have youth group tonight so dinner was venison burgers done quick on the grill. I’m a big fan of hamburgers in general but typically aren’t fancy about them.

A favorite is one like you get in most any diner, nice toasted roll with lettuce, tomato and either ketchup or possibly mayo and a side of fries. If I’m splurging gravy or cheese on the fries.

At home it’s similar, maybe not the same roll quality and chips instead of fries. If I’m in a real hurry it’s just a slice of white American cheese with ketchup and mustard. For some reason this summer I’ve started adding thin sliced dill pickles.

At a chain type restaurant I might go with a bacon cheeseburger. Mushroom Swiss is always tempting but think I’ve only ordered one once or twice.

My wife and daughter are avocado fans, the Kid puts jalapeños on almost everything. He’ll do onions when he remembers, neither my wife or I like them so they tend not to get set out.

So what do you think makes for a great burger?

Onions. A good slice of raw onion -- sweet onion, but not necessarily as long as it's not one of the real strong ones. I also like cooked onions piled up on it, too, especially if there's cheese involved. When I have onions, I don't want any other vegetables.

If no onions, I like tomato and lettuce with mayo. More often, I leave the tomatoes off, not liking the wateriness. No mustard or ketchup if tomato or lettuce, or just lettuce, are there. Mayo is the only condiment for that burger.

Cheese: Pretty much any of it that's actually real cheese. Those cheaper forms of American, no. Swiss or provolone, preferably. Muenster and cheddar, too. I like that grocery stores now sell all those sliced and not just in bricks.

I agree on the Swiss cheese-mushroom combination. And I've always liked dill pickles, either on the burger or on the side. I like a little jar-juice on my french fries, too -- similar to the County Fair thing, vinegar on fries.

Rolls really make a big difference. No complaints when it's a plain hamburger roll, but there's nothing like a burger in a nice chewy toasted kaiser roll or ciabatta.

Boy, that's weird. Just minutes ago I was thinking how we hadn't had a good food thread in a while. (Can't understand why my mention of rose hips didn't pull everyone right in )

Comment

I like vadalia onions when available on a beef burger. Well done indoors on a Cuisinart Griddler that has the reversable grills or, when others are over, outdoors on the propane grill. Ketchup is good with a big, browned roll. Omaha Steak burgers cook up good. For veison I add top cut ground beef and usually drench the roll in steak sauce.

Gotta go Tucker is on.

Comment

Hamburgers. One of my favorites!
        A great big old greasy bacon/cheese burger, onion, lettuce, tomato, ketchup and mustard with grease dripping off your elbows. Pickles optional.
        Side of crispy fries! In fact, if allowed, run 'em through the deep fryer twice!

Ain't nothin' better than a burger cooked in a cast iron skillet! 😋!
        We've dropped burger buns altogether. If I want bread, I'll bake a loaf or two.
        We use "Sandwich Thins".
        Grill the onions with the burger.
        Ketchup, mustard, a slice of tomato, Tillamook cheese, bacon.
        No lettuce, no pickles.
        ...and pile on the grilled onions!
        Prefer fries but I'll take chips.
        ​​​​​​​Unless onion rings are available! 😃

Comment

Figured I’d be in the minority over the onions. It’s not the flavor with them, it’s a texture thing for me. Crispy onion rings or a blooming onion are good to go. Odd thing is I’ll eat leeks no problem.

Comment

Either ground venison or sirloin burger, grilled over mesquite wood fire, with lettuce, tomatoes, onions, sharp chedar cheese, and mustard. If fried on a grill or in a skillet, I like to brown the onions with the burger patty, before the cheese goes on. French fries also, of course. With ketchup!

Comment

Originally posted by crm3006 View Post
              Either ground venison or sirloin burger, grilled over mesquite wood fire, with lettuce, tomatoes, onions, sharp chedar cheese, and mustard. If fried on a grill or in a skillet, I like to brown the onions with the burger patty, before the cheese goes on. French fries also, of course. With ketchup!
              Hey '06! Still operating?
              Good to see you posting again!

Comment

Damn, I feel like a beginner without much education after reading all the ‘get ups’ regarding hamburgers. I just take them as simple food source, grilled with a crusty brown outside and pink inside. A slice of melted cheese, maybe a leaf of lettuce, mustard and I am good to go ! I do like something that I did not see anyone else mention, that being a good strong horseradish, one that makes your eyes water. But, I will admit, some of the suggestions could go down pretty easily and may need further looking into, burp !

Comment

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post

Hey '06! Still operating?
                  Good to see you posting again!
                  Ditto that.

Comment

Still on the construction trail, but will be home again at the end of this week. The Bookkeeper says I have a massive cleanup job due to the tropical storm that just blew through the Gulf Coast.

Comment

Originally posted by bowhunter75richard View Post
                      Damn, I feel like a beginner without much education after reading all the ‘get ups’ regarding hamburgers. I just take them as simple food source, grilled with a crusty brown outside and pink inside. A slice of melted cheese, maybe a leaf of lettuce, mustard and I am good to go ! I do like something that I did not see anyone else mention, that being a good strong horseradish, one that makes your eyes water. But, I will admit, some of the suggestions could go down pretty easily and may need further looking into, burp !
                      Long ago I watched a guy working over a pile of horseradish he’d dug, he had liquid pouring out of his eyes and nose but he seemed like he was enjoying it. Used to be fairly common for people to grow it around here but it’s been awhile since I’ve seen a patch. Might have to try some the next time I get the opportunity.

Comment

Mustard on a burger is a cardinal sin. Repent!

Comment

Originally posted by fitch270 View Post

Long ago I watched a guy working over a pile of horseradish he’d dug, he had liquid pouring out of his eyes and nose but he seemed like he was enjoying it. Used to be fairly common for people to grow it around here but it’s been awhile since I’ve seen a patch. Might have to try some the next time I get the opportunity.
                          I like jalapeno peppers, serrano peppers, cayenne peppers and I've been known to tie into an occasional habanero pepper, but horse radish is off the table!
                          The wife and me used to attend a Jewish festival meal. Horse radish was one of the traditional condiments.
                          First time, I thought my nose was going to turn wrong side out and my eyes watered.
                          Next year, knowing what to expect, I took the tiniest amount I could take and actually have some on the spoon. Same result!
                          You guys can have my share of horseradish! 🤯!

Comment

From jhjimbo: Mustard on a burger is a cardinal sin. Repent!

Au contraire, mon amie! A burger without mustard is as tasteless as sawdust. A burger without mustard is like eggs without Tabasco®! Mayo is bland, ketchup is for fries and onion rings, but mustard makes a burger sing. It adds life to even the most unpalatable offerings of the fast food chains. Mustard is actually one of the basic food groups!

Comment

I save the fat from beef brisket and mix it in with the elk meat (we call it deer meat and elk meat out here). Otherwise too dry. Sesame seed bun toasted, catsup, mustard, slice of raw onion.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Smollett
                                by jhjimbo
                                The crooked lawyers are probably looking for a reason to call it a mis-trial....
                                Today, 08:54 PM
                              • Smollett
                                by jhjimbo
                                Smollett testifies for 6 hours for a crime that probably only took a few minutes. What a farce....
                                Today, 06:46 PM
                              • Reply to Smollett
                                by franchi20
                                Get ready for riots and burning, if he's found guilty....
                                Today, 07:52 PM
                              • Reply to 7 December, 1941
                                by labrador12
                                My good buddies dad was a pow from the battle of the bulge. I knocked back a few with him over the years. Hes gone now too! Hell of a guy. My dad has...
                                Today, 07:33 PM
                              • 7 December, 1941
                                by crm3006
                                Today is December 7th. On Sunday, December 7th, 1941, the Japanese launched a surprise attack on the American navel base in Pearl Harbor, Hawaii, killing...
                                Today, 09:28 AM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X