Ammo andComponents Hard to Get

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ammo andComponents Hard to Get

I read an article where visits were made to ammo manufacturers. Some of their observations from the Companies.
    They produce about 14 billion rounds per year.
    Primers are made by Vista owned CCI, Fed and Remington, Winchester.

St Marks Powder is made in Fl
    The big crunch on ammo and components is because from 2020 there were 8.4 million NEW gun owners - all buying ammo for the first time.
    In 2021 there have already been 4 million NEW gun owners.
    Manuf. cannot keep up.
    The military has socked away millions of rounds of ammo.
    Government also has their own supply of powder and primers. They contract manufacturer to put the components together. The Military runs ARE NOT on the Commerical lines - they have their own.

Solution, stop paying top prices for ammo and components and therefore reduce demand so manuf can catch up.
    Last edited by jhjimbo; 09-13-2021, 11:06 PM.

I bet I haven't bought a dozen boxes of ammo in the last 4 or 5 years.
    I haven't bought any loading components even further back.

Comment

We practice with StrikeMan, helps a lot with trigger control. Not too expensive either.

Comment

Jim it it easier said than done , paying for the opportunity to have enough powder , primers or bullets sometimes becomes a deal with the devil ! There are still powders I can’t find and bullets are in short supply. One local outlet I deal with was charging $150 a thousand for primers CCI 200’s . Thank god Miller’s gun shop in Delaware has stock weekly and has decided not to play the cut throat game . Fair pre Covid prices and good selection of powder also they sold me 1300
        gold match primers at a great price because no one wanted them . I bought my first rifle from Miller’s in 1975 and I’m fortunate to have such a long history with a fine place of business because if I didn’t I would be in deep bwana !

I have also found things on shooting forums from the members and it has been a god send ! Ive found bullets , scopes and even rifles at real prices . I guess if there is a will there is a way. Any member here that may need something let me know I may have it , after forty years you collect things.

Comment

Sorta hard to practice handling recoil and muzzle blast. No thanks. I'd rather spend the money and time on live rounds when it comes to defensive training. Can play video games anytime. Besides, that laser will not break clays

Comment

I was an active shooter and reloader for 55+ years so I always kept replenishing my supply. For the Y2K scare I bought 30,000 primers and a lot of my favorite powders. I also have been able to find rifles I wanted at decent prices. I bought a Marlin 1895M (.450Marlin) on gunbroker for $600 and a guy was wanting $1000 at the flea market, in only about 3 years. My Weatherby .340WbyMag I got for $1300 with scope, case and 6 boxes of Weatherby premium ammo. Guy had it all set up for Elk and never went. Same thing with me - one trip has washed out and the friend wants to go to AZ - I declined. All I did to the rifle is change mounts to all steel see through. I figured it was sighted in from 25yd see through to 400yds scope with a 200yd zero. I have ammo for it from 200 to 300gr, ready for anything.

How long will you be in Hospital ? My Nephew was in a Semi accident and he had a long stay - not fun at all. Hope ;you are doing better.

Comment

I've spent about an hour a day since late 2019 (after the election) looking all over the Web for reloading components. I shoot a lot of rifle ammo and need brass, bullets, powder and primers. The lack of products has apparently forced manufacturers to give a priority to new gun owners and those who sell guns for a living. Additionally, they are apparently giving the next level of priority to the top selling cartridges (like 30-06, .308 or 6.5 CM). This has in turn apparently caused regular shooters to hoard supplies. I have no doubt that they are buying more than they typically would if they ever find supplies.

Obama won gun salesman of the year each year during his administration and Biden is making him look like a novice.

Comment

Originally posted by DakotaMan View Post
                I've spent about an hour a day since late 2019 (after the election) looking all over the Web for reloading components. I shoot a lot of rifle ammo and need brass, bullets, powder and primers. The lack of products has apparently forced manufacturers to give a priority to new gun owners and those who sell guns for a living. Additionally, they are apparently giving the next level of priority to the top selling cartridges (like 30-06, .308 or 6.5 CM). This has in turn apparently caused regular shooters to hoard supplies. I have no doubt that they are buying more than they typically would if they ever find supplies.

Obama won gun salesman of the year each year during his administration and Biden is making him look like a novice.
                The Mfg visited, secret location, said they allocate and send orders all over hoping to keep everyone in business.

Just finished the last in a F&S series of long range shooting - how to make the long range 1,000 shot. He said he presses the trigger, I have always, on any firearm, squeezed the trigger. Which is preferred ? My ground hog hunting buddy squeezes the trigger and the back of the trigger guard and does real well with that technique.
                On a pistol team we always squeezed the trigger.
                Last edited by jhjimbo; 09-14-2021, 10:43 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post
                  I was an active shooter and reloader for 55+ years so I always kept replenishing my supply. For the Y2K scare I bought 30,000 primers and a lot of my favorite powders. I also have been able to find rifles I wanted at decent prices. I bought a Marlin 1895M (.450Marlin) on gunbroker for $600 and a guy was wanting $1000 at the flea market, in only about 3 years. My Weatherby .340WbyMag I got for $1300 with scope, case and 6 boxes of Weatherby premium ammo. Guy had it all set up for Elk and never went. Same thing with me - one trip has washed out and the friend wants to go to AZ - I declined. All I did to the rifle is change mounts to all steel see through. I figured it was sighted in from 25yd see through to 400yds scope with a 200yd zero. I have ammo for it from 200 to 300gr, ready for anything.

How long will you be in Hospital ? My Nephew was in a Semi accident and he had a long stay - not fun at all. Hope ;you are doing better.
                  I got home last night from the hospital , got a wheel chair here and am trying to become independent ! Lol I can’t stand sitting here watching TV. Hopefully I can use either arm or leg here shortly and do something constructive. Right now I’m living through you guys vicariously !
                  Last edited by Pmacc60; 09-14-2021, 02:06 PM.

Comment

Have been toying with idea of rolling my own for my 25-06 but after checking into components I gave up.

Comment

I’m not playing the hoarding game but have been picking up stuff when I find it priced reasonable to build and maintain inventory of what we will or possibly might actually use. Not prepping exactly but trying to be able to do what we want when we want.

For example a buddy of the Kid’s invited him goose hunting last weekend if he could find steel shot. Not something we’ve ever bought. Couldn’t come up with any so he didn’t go. The group killed 70 geese, had a fantastic hunt. Next time I see steel shot available I’m picking up a couple boxes. You just never know.
                      Last edited by fitch270; 09-14-2021, 11:55 AM.

Comment

The money advantage for reloading has gradually decreased over the past years. It still saves some $$ if you don't value your time. Figure an hour to hour half to do a box of 20 rounds. A little more if you do a lot of brass prep. Neck sizing works and is fast.
                        One advantage is getting just the load you want. Current ammo is so good it is hard to improve on it. If you find a brand and bullet in a factory load that shoots good in your gun, go back and buy all they have of that lot number and you will be set for a long time. Still save you brass.

Comment

Originally posted by PigHunter View Post
                          Sorta hard to practice handling recoil and muzzle blast. No thanks. I'd rather spend the money and time on live rounds when it comes to defensive training. Can play video games anytime. Besides, that laser will not break clays

O.K., then this is not for you.

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post

O.K., then this is not for you.
                            That's my thoughts too with my range only 10 minutes away. But this could be good for someone in a large city or snowed in.

Comment

Originally posted by Milldawg View Post
                              Have been toying with idea of rolling my own for my 25-06 but after checking into components I gave up.
                              Don't blame you 'dawg.
                              Even if somebody GAVE you a press, components would still be difficult to find!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad