No announcement yet.

Done for the season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pig hunter I’ve had a couple of close calls. Almost lost both legs once to a forklift operator knocking a 10,000lbs steel coil over while my back was turned. It landed Less than two inches from the back of my boot.

ive been blessed most
    of my close calls weren’t something I was doing. Other people doing dumb things.
    never logged don’t think it would be my cup of tea. Lol!

Comment

The scariest piece of mechanical equipment I've ever seen in use is the wood chipper, with an operator wearing a long-sleeved shirt.
      If part of a branch catches on the cuff of the operator's shirt, he goes head first into the machine.

Comment

Been drug off a railcar by a switch stand.
        Had a forklift operator dump a bunk of 8'×4'×1" particle board into the space I was standing in! (had no idea I could jump that high!)

Yes sir, I've had my share of close calls over the last 70 years.
        Wish I had missed out on the head on car wreck in '91.
        Life would be a lot simpler now! LOL!

Comment

Originally posted by labrador12 View Post
          As we age we hope to see a plateau in our increasing loss of physical function. I'm not seeing it. It appears to be downhill all the way as I say Good-by to my 70th year. I am trying to avoid falling off ladders and the like, but randomness occurs. Get well soon, I hope you can enter a period of less bodily stress soon. Ya gadda keep trying though. I say that as I sit in Alaska waiting for the water to go down in the Thorne River. 5 or 10 years ago I would be charging out into the river in these conditions, hoping the water won't top my waders. Not today.
          Before Covid I was in Physical Therapy and recmmend it for anyone - made me feel 10 years younger. Did not do much at home during Covid and now have lost almost all the gains I made in PT. Maybe I can qualify for another PT treatment - they run 3 days a week for about 8 weeks where I go. Health Ins covers almost all of it. It improves balance a lot so I guess that could prevent falling which would be more expensive.

Comment

Thanks guys I’m hooked up to a IV in the left arm and the right shoulder is broken so right now it’s hard to post. I used a clients really crummy ladder and I stepped on the top step , the ladder collapsed dropping me 6 feet to the hard gravel . Just plain stupid on my part. I landed on my shoulder and hip , I knew right away they were both broken. I had my son help me to my feet drove home and picked up my wife and drove to emergency . I drove to the hospital because I had stiffen up to the point that I could not get out of the truck . I’m sitting here in the hospital watching bad TV and laughing at myself for being so careless. Thanks for the well wishes , o will keep you posted. BTW hospitals are like most places , nothing gets done on the weekends !

Comment

@99;

Have you ever actually used a wood chipper? If you haven’t you ought not comment about them.

Comment

Sorry to hear this.
                Keep us updated please.
                Praying.

Comment

Originally posted by Milldawg View Post
                  Pig hunter I’ve had a couple of close calls. Almost lost both legs once to a forklift operator knocking a 10,000lbs steel coil over while my back was turned. It landed Less than two inches from the back of my boot.

ive been blessed most
                  of my close calls weren’t something I was doing. Other people doing dumb things.
                  never logged don’t think it would be my cup of tea. Lol!
                  Those forklift operators always concern me. They pose a major danger in some places of a papermill. I bet you were shook up afterwards.

Unfortunately, some close calls have been my own fault. Two separate times I've accidently touched the line side of a 480V motor starter. Thankfully, I was standing on dry concrete with insulated boots and not touching anything else to complete the circuit. It was phase to ground so we're just talking 277V but with a high potential current. Both times hurt but with no burns and I'm lucky to be here.

Comment

"... Those forklift operators always concern me. ..."

A machine use to pick up heavy materials.
                    When you pick up materials, you can't see where you're going or what's in front of you?
                    You can't comfortably turn around to see behind you?
                    Sounds like a machine designed by an idiot! LOL!
                    Worked with a guy that backed a fork lift off a loading dock. He said he still doesn't understand why it didn't kill him!

Pmacc60,
                    Sounds like you're in good hands. The delay is waiting for the shock to wear off and make certain there are no concealed injuries. Ripped, torn muscles, blood clots, floating bone chips, etc.
                    ....and like fitch270 said, I believe I'd stay away from wood chippers if I were you! 😉!
                    We wouldn't want to change your name to "Stump"!

Comment

You are in my thoughts & prayers. Been through something similar myself. Keep your eyes & dreams to the horizon my friend. Let the thought of cozy anternoons in a comfortable seat in a popup (the inner black walls heat up snug with the littlest sunshine) holding your new pistol, remembering where you were at this time and how far you've progressed. Let those thoughts coupled with your patience & determination drive you. Guess it's a little too late to use my typical "stay safe" ending huh.

Comment

How's the nurses? Any lookers?

Comment

Originally posted by PigHunter View Post
                          How's the nurses? Any lookers?
                          LMBO!
                          Nobody but you, pighunter! 🤣😂

Comment

Wood chipper in action.

Comment

Teen Killed When He was Pulled Into Wood Chipper On First Day of Work.

https://news.yahoo.com/teen-killed-p...ycsrp_catchall

Comment

Sorry to come in late on this, Pmacc, but wishing you a smooth and speedy road back.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad