Big Snake is Back

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big Snake is Back

Saw an ad for a Anaconda. Anybody gonna rush out and buy one ?

They make a good meal.

Comment

I never understood wanting a big snake for a pet. My friend Billy had a hognose snake when we were kids, but that was kept in a terrarium, and Bill had it because he liked animals and watching it hunt the things he fed it. A python or anaconda that you handle like a cat on your lap, or let it hang off your shoulders? It's a reptile, it doesn't feel affection or loyalty.

A dog or a cat feels love and affection for all members of the family. A snake would be happy to eat the smaller ones.

Comment

One of the biggest frights of my life came from an Anaconda. When I was about 10, my grandfather took me in the early morning to witness the set up of a big top circus that just came to town. I was touring the grounds and came upon a big glass topped box with about a 30 foot snake in it - purported to be one of the largest in the world. He was big all right... probably weighed over 500 pounds. I was mesmerized. He was coiled in about a three foot circle piled almost 3 feet high. His largest girth was well over 12 inches for most of his length.

I thought I could perhaps wake him so I reached out and tapped the glass on the top of the box. I really never saw him move but he struck at my hand in a flash with a big BANG; his jaw unhinged as he tried to grasp my hand through the glass. His mouth became the size of a toilet bowl and I was shocked! I was SO thankful that the glass didn't break and it took about a minute for my heart to stop racing. His keeper said that he was hungry so he threw a chicken in the box. The snake instantly inhaled the chicken and it barely made a lump in his throat. He hit it so quickly that I barely saw the movement. No big snakes for me... I learn quickly. They can move so fast, you don't have a chance if they are after YOU.
        Last edited by DakotaMan; 08-06-2021, 01:38 PM.

Comment

I sense some embelishment ...

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post
            You're right, cats really aren't all that affectionate. It's definitely true about dogs, though.

Comment

Originally posted by MattM37 View Post

You're right, cats really aren't all that affectionate. It's definitely true about dogs, though.
              Bwaahaahaaa

Comment

Jimbo, your comment made me laugh and think back. For me, the memory of that snake is etched in my mind and it MAY have been a bit smaller than I recall. I don't think so but I do remember at about the age of 40, getting the opportunity to see the nun that was my Mother Superior in grade school. My recollection of her was that she was mean as a snake, about 6'8" and could strike fear in the heart of a lumberjack. In actuality, seeing her about 30 years later, I found her frail, skinny, and about 5'1" tall. I was shocked.

Comment

I recall a story of a critter that ate a snake from the inside out.

https://www.seeker.com/centipede-eat...768469939.html

Comment

My Ex was scary 2 decades ago and has only gotten bigger with age. I believe she's part snake, just saying...

Comment

A friend in one day. sold a Anaconda at a Flea Market for $2,250. and a highly polished King Cobra for the same money. I think prices are rediculous.

Comment

Originally posted by DakotaMan View Post

Jimbo, your comment made me laugh and think back. For me, the memory of that snake is etched in my mind and it MAY have been a bit smaller than I recall. I don't think so but I do remember at about the age of 40, getting the opportunity to see the nun that was my Mother Superior in grade school. My recollection of her was that she was mean as a snake, about 6'8" and could strike fear in the heart of a lumberjack. In actuality, seeing her about 30 years later, I found her frail, skinny, and about 5'1" tall. I was shocked.
                        Dakota; My mother was telling a story years ago about turtles that were big enough to ride on. She held her arms out as wide as she could saying you could just reach across them, yada yada…

Her older sister finally pointed out that my mom was about four at the time and was remembering it from that perspective.

The only turtles we have around here that size would have been snappers. My question was where the heck were the parents? Snappers big enough for small children to ride could have eaten the kids for lunch.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	7508C2A0-DAC9-4F61-A39B-21CA19517CB3.jpeg
Views:	45
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	777380

The title to this post had me thinking there was another “Escape From NY” sequel. Oh well.

Comment

A friend in one day. sold a Anaconda at a Flea Market for $2,250. and a highly polished King Cobra for the same money. I think prices are rediculous.
                            What are the laws on owning and selling exotic animals in your state? I wouldn't think you could sell such critters at the flea market, if at all.

Comment

I once met a man at a dinner of the Exotic Wildlife Assn in Texas who said he was going to buy a bear cub to raise as a pet.
                              I saw him again about a year or two later at another dinner, and his head was all bandaged. I didn't get to speak with him, but I can guess what happened.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Quick Sale
                                by PigHunter
                                Many are cash rich right now. It probably won't last since inflation is going to get worse. Enjoy it while you can
                                Today, 05:39 AM
                              • Quick Sale
                                by jhjimbo
                                Took a rifle to the Flea Maket and sold it in less than an hour - cash money. A friend had a Webley in, I think 44-40, and sold it to almost the first...
                                Today, 12:53 AM
                              • Reply to Will They Or Won't They
                                by PigHunter
                                Can't do anything about it. Not going worry. The Democrats will lose control of Congress next year. What can be voted in can be voted out
                                Today, 05:35 AM
                              • Will They Or Won't They
                                by jhjimbo
                                Will Manchin and Sinima hold out and vote no for the big $3.5 TRILLION Dollar giveaway, which the budget office says will be more like $5 Trillion, ...
                                Today, 01:04 AM
                              • Reply to Too bad
                                by PigHunter
                                1. There's nothing I can do about it
                                2. Learned a long time ago to stop worrying about things beyond my control
                                3. Also learned that heartache,...
                                Today, 05:24 AM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X