A hobby besides hunt, fish and shoot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A hobby besides hunt, fish and shoot

Local paper wanted to do an article on our R/C Club and they put a Go-Pro on my plane. This was over 10 years ago. So far 7,300 views.
    HD model plane flight, on-board camera - YouTube

I notice ever more video clips on the news that are taken from drones, I think technically they are called some sort of copter, four rotors, all controlled via a chip which I guess control the tilt and make the thing go where you want it to go. Cool vid.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	278D9112-D41F-482D-8D23-E3589679FBF2.jpeg
Views:	59
Size:	174.0 KB
ID:	776942

Jim, I just checked that video out again and it reminded me of a plane I had when
      I was a kid. Just found one like it online. Cox Navy F14 Tomcat that flew in circles via string control. Had a blast with it for a few years, the battery went dead that warmed up the glow plug and I lost interest in it after awhile. The thing probably wouldn’t be sold to kids these days, you’d fill the fuel tank, attach the battery to the plug then hook a spring around the prop, wind it up then let go. Sometimes it took a few tries but you wanted your fingers out of the way for sure.

Thanks for the memory, like RR said cool video.

Comment

OK, taking a risk of being accused of highjacking.

Easing my way in.

I had cousins with RC toys that had the gas engines, .04?, in planes and cars.

New hobby topic - motorcycles. I have one, rode it to Sturgis 18 times, hauled it twice. The 370 mile ride took 7 hours with gas and leg stretching breaks. Wind burn, sunburn, thunderstorms, wet sleeping bag, hangovers that would put a lesser man in a coma.

The news reports that there are 17 semi trailers of bikes at the Rapid City airport to deliver to the flyin owners that want to experience Bike Week.

I quit after 2003 because of people like them. Too many blasted people. When towns 60 miles away looked like Sturgis, SD is too crowded.

The Week is now 11 days, officially.

Comment

60 and 100 mile road cycling (bicycle) rides.
          Haven't been on the road bike this year though.

Comment

Originally posted by fitch270 View Post

Name:	278D9112-D41F-482D-8D23-E3589679FBF2.jpeg
Views:	59
Size:	174.0 KB
ID:	776942

Jim, I just checked that video out again and it reminded me of a plane I had when
            I was a kid. Just found one like it online. Cox Navy F14 Tomcat that flew in circles via string control. Had a blast with it for a few years, the battery went dead that warmed up the glow plug and I lost interest in it after awhile. The thing probably wouldn’t be sold to kids these days, you’d fill the fuel tank, attach the battery to the plug then hook a spring around the prop, wind it up then let go. Sometimes it took a few tries but you wanted your fingers out of the way for sure.

Thanks for the memory, like RR said cool video.
            We have about 100 members from 10 to 90, mostly men but a few girls. Everything from glow to electric to actual jets and choppers fly at the Club. Very economical to get into because things are made in, you guessed it, China. Very good quality. I will put up a couple more pics. Our public Air Show is coming up and when the opening Anthem is playing I tow the American flag around a couple of laps with the plane in the video. Usually a 500+ come eto the show. The group are some of mine. Flag tow. Twin engine is mine. Red Euro Fighter has a real jet engine about 150mph. Plane on snow is mine.

Name:	IMG_1428.JPG
Views:	51
Size:	2.20 MB
ID:	776952 Click image for larger version

Name:	2012 model mania flag tow.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	152.8 KB
ID:	776958 Click image for larger version

Name:	fun fly 5 25 13 014.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	836.7 KB
ID:	776954 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0447.JPG
Views:	46
Size:	1.87 MB
ID:	776957 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0351.JPG
Views:	56
Size:	449.0 KB
ID:	776955 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0472.JPG
Views:	44
Size:	1.10 MB
ID:	776956
            Attached Files

Comment

Outside of TV and movies, I've never seen a remote-control plane. Never known anyone who was into them. All of those pictured look very cool.

Comment

There’s a place about 45 minutes from here that looks like the airfield in Jim’s pic. Maybe 10 benches along the strip in front, sits just off the State road in view. I can’t remember seeing one in the air but have seen people there tinkering on their planes.

That jet must be a hoot Jim.

Comment

Well, I don't do RC planes or anything else, but I also have hobbies besides hunting and fishing.
                  wine making
                  acoustic guitar
                  wingbone yelper turkey calls
                  collecting coins (not the Morgan silver dollar thing, just pocket change)

Comment

Comment

I don't read a lot of books. Authors are just like Courtrooms, telling the audience what a person must have been thinking. There is no way in hell someone can tell what I am thinking.

Comment

There’s a place about 45 minutes from here that looks like the airfield in Jim’s pic. Maybe 10 benches along the strip in front, sits just off the State road in view. I can’t remember seeing one in the air but have seen people there tinkering on their planes.

After a flight the jet downoads it's flight specs to a computer - fuel used, temps, rpm's, etc. Then after so many hours it as to go back to mfg. for a check up.

Comment

You can search the AMA (Academy of Model Aviation) and they should have a list of fields in your area.

Comment

I like the pic of the flag tow with a cloud behind each. I make a couple of low level (about 20') laps in front of several hundred spectators all standing with the Anthem playing.

In the group pic the black, red and white plane is my Pylon racer. We launch 6 at a time and go so many laps. All the planes are standardized in power weight, fuel (we all get fuel from the same jug) etc. so it is all pilot skill who wins. We have other competion where we tie streamers to the palnes and have dog fights. 4 or 5 in the air at the same time.
                            Our Club 40 competition actually has 6 starting blocks holding the rear wheel so all planes are released by radio signal and all get off exactly the same. The engines uses a glow plug for ignition and turns about 14,000 rpm and runs on methanol with nitro (5 to 30%) added with some castor oil for lube. Some skill in setting the carb needle as it has to be a little rich on the ground since at 70mph it leans out.If too lean it will overheat and go slow. Castor goes through the engine without burning. These are probably going about 70mph. It is hard to catch them with a radar gun or video them. mixture has to be just right in the air for max speed.
                            https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...F1&FORM=VDMCNR

Last edited by jhjimbo; 08-05-2021, 01:37 AM.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Real Quiet
                              by franchi20
                              Describe something he's done that's defendable. Afghanistan? Immigration? Retaliatory drone strike? Covid19 mitigation? There must be something. No, wait....
                              Today, 12:40 PM
                            • Real Quiet
                              by jhjimbo
                              Dosen't anybody have an original thought ?
                              Yesterday, 12:23 AM
                            • Reply to TGIF; Off the Big Screen
                              by fitch270
                              I need a vacation myself.

Today, 12:23 PM
                            • TGIF; Off the Big Screen
                              by fitch270
                              So I mentioned this last week, we’ve posted a few songs off soundtracks before but I think there’s loads of material left to cover. Not only are there...
                              09-16-2021, 11:01 PM
                            • Reply to Real Quiet
                              by Pmacc60
                              How can you not pile on, this administration is a disgrace to this country !! Muppet was a great description ! This guy would not be in office after the...
                              Today, 12:19 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X