No announcement yet.

TGIF; RIP musicians edition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Former 3 DOORS DOWN guitarist Matt Roberts died of an overdose at 38 years old. You can see him playing in the video below.

Comment

• Something mellow and different for a Sunday morning.

Bob Marley

Comment

• Glen Frey 1948-2016

The Eagles - "Hotel California"

https://youtu.be/BciS5krYL80

Comment

• Leon Rausch - "Texas In My Soul"

https://youtu.be/lYaT7v6EvyY

Johnny Gimble - "Cotton Eyed Joe"

https://youtu.be/UndmIlc963w

Both of these gentlemen graced the stage with Ray Benson and Asleep At The Wheel at some point in their careers.
          Johnny Gimble doesn't sing, but in Cotton Eyed Joe, he is featured on the fiddle.
          Last edited by FirstBubba; 08-01-2021, 10:47 AM.

Comment

• Patrick Swayze (1952 - 2009), died of cancer at age 57. 'She's Like The Wind'

Comment

• Bobby Hatfield (1940 - 2003), died in his sleep from heart failure, age 63.

Comment

• Originally posted by PigHunter View Post
                Patrick Swayze (1952 - 2009), died of cancer at age 57. 'She's Like The Wind'

Never knew Swayze sang. That song would have gone well with the movie "Ghost".

Comment

• Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post
                  Glen Frey 1948-2016

The Eagles - "Hotel California"

https://youtu.be/BciS5krYL80
                  Ughhh, can’t believe I forgot him.

Comment

• Brothers Maurice and Robin Gibb of The Bee Gees.

Stayin Alive obviously.

Comment

Never knew Swayze sang. That song would have gone well with the movie "Ghost".
                      Yep, but it had already been used 3 years before in Dirty Dancing.

From Wikipedia:

Swayze and Stacy Widelitz co-wrote the song in 1984. It was originally intended for the soundtrack of Grandview, U.S.A. and was meant to be about Jamie Lee Curtis' character in the film. However, the song was not used in that film. During production of Dirty Dancing in 1987, Swayze played the demo for producer Linda Gottlieb and director Emile Ardolino. They loved it and passed it on to Jimmy Ienner and Bob Feiden, the soundtrack's executive producers. It was recorded for the soundtrack in November 1986, with Michael Lloyd producing. The song, like the film in which it was featured, was a success, reaching number three on the Billboard Hot 100 and number one on Adult Contemporary, and was a hit around the world. It is still in rotation on radio. The soundtrack album was number one for 18 weeks.

During his appearance on the August 7, 2020 episode of the podcast The Joe Rogan Experience, actor Rob Lowe mentions that Swayze tried to shop the song to the producers of Lowe's 1986 film, Youngblood for inclusion on its soundtrack, but the song was rejected.

Comment

• Originally posted by fitch270 View Post

Ughhh, can’t believe I forgot him.
                        Way more have passed on than we will EVER remember, fitch270.
                        I'm beginning to see this thread as an exercise in futility.

Had you ever of Lonnie Glosson?

How about:

Wayne Raney - "The Garden Where Mother Used To Pray"

https://youtu.be/sbPe7UXdIFs

Conspicuously absent?

Bill Monroe the "Father of Bluegrass"

Bill Monroe - "Blue Moon Of Kentucky"

​​​​​​​https://youtu.be/4syA9aNnNa0
                        Last edited by FirstBubba; 08-01-2021, 11:24 AM.

Comment

Brothers Maurice and Robin Gibb of The Bee Gees.

Stayin Alive obviously.
                          Another good one Fitch!

Continuing with the disco theme, here's one by Donna Summer (1948 - 2012) who died from lung cancer at age 63. I remember dancing to her music back in the day. Here's one that PigHuntress likes to perform on karaoke nights... 'Hot Stuff'.

Comment

Way more have passed on than we will EVER remember, fitch270.
                            I'm beginning to see this thread as an exercise in futility.
                            I’ve been posting mostly from memory but a few have popped up while pulling up songs. I’m beginning to think that if you averaged up the ages of the deceased that you could consider “professional musician” as a very dangerous job.

Not futile, but definitely making me feel my own mortality.

Comment

I’ve been posting mostly from memory but a few have popped up while pulling up songs. I’m beginning to think that if you averaged up the ages of the deceased that you could consider “professional musician” as a very dangerous job.

Not futile, but definitely making me feel my own mortality.
                              Well, there is the 27 Club...

Kurt Cobain (1967 - 1994)
                              Jimi Hendrix (1942 - 1970)
                              Brian Jones (1942 - 1969)
                              Janis Joplin (1943 - 1970)
                              Jim Morrison (1943 - 1971)
                              Amy Winehouse (1983 - 2011)
                              Robert Johnson (1911 - 1938) ... considered the original member of the club.

Comment

• Duane and Gregg Allman plus others in the Allman Brothers Band.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad