TGIF; RIP musicians edition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fitch270 View Post

Just the lead in to the video. Hill and Gibbons share the vocals on this one
    Yes sir. But I had to go look for photos of the group to figure out who was who. Just a clarification.

Comment

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post
      I had a cousin named John who thought this song was just for him! LOL!

Jimmy Dean - "Big Bad John"

https://youtu.be/KnnHprUGKF0
      My Dad was nicknamed Big John at work because of his strength and this song. He was a heavy equipment mechanic for the county and had muscles developed from hard work. Summers between years in high school, I worked on a road paving crew out of the same shop. They nicknamed me Little John.

I worked underground in a coal mine one summer while in college. That experience made me appreciate the song even more.
      Last edited by PigHunter; 07-31-2021, 10:08 AM.

Comment

Dennis Yost (1943 - 2008) with The Classics IV , 'Stormy' and 'Spooky'

Two of my favorites to sing. For some reason I do Stormy slightly better. The higher notes at the ending of Spooky give me a little trouble and I really have to concentrate at that point.

Last edited by PigHunter; 07-31-2021, 10:09 AM.

Comment

Patti Page (1927 - 2013) and Roy Clark (1933 - 2018), 'Tennessee Waltz', 'Let Me Call You Sweetheart', 'When I Was Young'

Comment

Another one I knew the song but not the artist, “Spooky”. “Stormy” I’m wasn’t familiar with.

Comment

I doubt we’ve posted these guys ever but how can you not include a band called “The Grateful Dead” on a RIP thread.

Lead singer Jerry Garcia for one, I’m not even going to try listing the others.

Somewhat appropriate song.

Comment

Ok let’s do it.

Skinny Elvis.

Comment

Let’s try this one.

SRV

Comment

"Skinny Elvis" LMBO!

SRV was one of those greats that I just couldn't sit and listen to.

Comment

• Bobby Bare - "Marie Laveau"

https://youtu.be/xpZzehuWdM4

Comment

• Originally posted by fitch270 View Post
                        Another one I knew the song but not the artist, “Spooky”. “Stormy” I’m wasn’t familiar with.
                        'Spooky' charted No. 3 in 1968 by the Classics IV with Dennis Yost singing. It was itself an adaptation from a jazz instrumental that had climbed to No. 57 earlier that year. The song was covered by many others with the most popular in 1979 by The Atlanta Rhythm Section which contained two band members formally of The Classics IV. The ARS version made it to No. 17 on the US charts.

Five of the nine ARS band members who performed that version have passed on.
                        • Ronnie Hammond (1950 - 2011), died of heart failure, age 60.
                        • Robert Nix (1944 - 2012) died at age 67 from complications following surgery.
                        • Paul Goddard died from cancer in 2014, at age 68.
                        • Buddy Buie, the band's manager and producer who received songwriting credits on all their albums, died in 2015 at age 74.
                        • J. R. Cobb died of a heart attack in 2019 at 75.

Comment

• PH; That explains it, the ARS cover is the one I knew but it sounds very close to the original. Maybe because of the same band members.

Comment

• Missed this one.

Kansas violinist and vocalist Robby Steinhardt passed on July 20’th.

You know what song has to be posted.

Comment

• Going for two just because I can

Comment

• Who doesn’t remember John Bonham of Led Zepplin?

Stairway to Heaven anyone?

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to TGIF; Off the Big Screen
                                  by MattM37
                                  Thanks, Fitch -- interesting info, and you also triggered some good memories of my friend in high school who introduced me to punk and alternative music....
                                  Today, 05:27 PM
                                • TGIF; Off the Big Screen
                                  by fitch270
                                  So I mentioned this last week, we’ve posted a few songs off soundtracks before but I think there’s loads of material left to cover. Not only are there...
                                  09-16-2021, 11:01 PM
                                • Reply to VooDoo
                                  by franchi20
                                  Almost all of the Haitian immigrants at Del Rio came from Chile and left the ground littered with paper work that would get them deported because of residency...
                                  Today, 05:17 PM
                                • VooDoo
                                  by jhjimbo
                                  These are the people streaming into the U.S. ilegially.
                                  https://www.bing.com/images/search?q...IRBPRS&first=1...
                                  09-19-2021, 04:17 AM
                                • Reply to Real Quiet
                                  by crm3006
                                  From BH75R- " But to be fair, that could also be said about me by a few on the site........"

Possibly by the two morons, maybe...
                                  Today, 04:59 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X