Undesirables

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Undesirables

Ever encounter any of these guys, at a lodge or elsewhere? Kind of a funny article.
    https://www.themeateater.com/fish/sa...fishing-lodges

Originally posted by MattM37 View Post
    Ever encounter any of these guys, at a lodge or elsewhere? Kind of a funny article.
    https://www.themeateater.com/fish/sa...fishing-lodges
    Yes sir. When I went to Kodiak in 2012. It's been nine years but the nightmare is still fresh in my mind!
    He was the epitome of a "snuff dipper " and kept a head full of Copenhagen unless we were eating.
    We finally made it from DFW to Anchorage and we're sitting in the RAVN Airlines waiting for our plane.
    A very pretty young lady appears carrying a hat box. She's headed out to Kodiak to judge a 4H horse show.
    J. spots her (he's the only one of the group that's single!) and approaches and begins yammering about everything and nothing.
    I note a look of disgust on her forced smile and look at J..
    J. is in the zone. Lip pooched out full of Copenhagen and a string of drool about a foot long hanging from his lower lip!
    The young lady excuses herself with a, "I need to go check in!" and disappears into the crowd. The three of us sit and chuckle to ourselves.
    I get stuck with the rube as "roomie" the entire trip!
    The bad part?
    We got fogged in on Kodiak and I had to "room" with him for 5 extra days! 😖
    I was about ready to SWIM the 250 miles back to Anchorage!

Comment

Oh yeah! There was the "rich" guy my b-i-l and me got hung with on the last trip to Kodiak in 2015.
      First troll, first strike and the Cap'n shoves the rod in my b-i-l's hands and says, "That's a good one! DON'T lose him!"
      Twenty minutes later, my b-i-l finally boats a king salmon of about 45 pounds.
      Rich boy has a cheesy grin but we continue to catch salmon and some cod.
      About noon, we've boated several salmon, cod, halibut and rockfish when Rich boy approaches us. He's been pleasant all day, but now he wants to swap some of the fish he's caught for the big king my b-i-l boated.
      I look at the b-i-l. He looks back at me with a blank look on his face.
      Then I tell Rich boy, "Nah. Thanks but we'll just keep what we caught."
      Rich boy turns red in the face, steps over to the Cap'n and mumbles under his breath.
      We keep our fish.
      He keeps his fish.
      He's a sour puss A.Shole the rest of the trip!

The big 45 pound king turns out to be an "ivory" king! 😃! Awesome!

Comment

It’s been a long time so nobody in particular stands out, but when I worked behind the archery shop counter there were always a few customers who’d make me cringe a bit when I’d see them in the doorway. I’ve forgotten the names but not the attitudes.

The absolute worst used to be the know it all’s sitting through a Hunter Ed class with their kid or grandkid. No matter the topic they’d have to pipe in with their $.02 that usually went counter to what we were trying to present. Either that or ask a question every 5 minutes. Fortunately that hasn’t happened much the past several years.

The trips I’ve been on have been ok people wise.

Comment

Originally posted by fitch270 View Post
          It’s been a long time so nobody in particular stands out, but when I worked behind the archery shop counter there were always a few customers who’d make me cringe a bit when I’d see them in the doorway. I’ve forgotten the names but not the attitudes.

The absolute worst used to be the know it all’s sitting through a Hunter Ed class with their kid or grandkid. No matter the topic they’d have to pipe in with their $.02 that usually went counter to what we were trying to present. Either that or ask a question every 5 minutes. Fortunately that hasn’t happened much the past several years.

That's 'cause you're swave and deboner, fitch270! 😉

I was standing in the store one day when I noticed the rest of the staff was missing? WT....?
          I heard the door open, turned around....and here he came! Nice old man, but he could talk the leaves off a tree! Egads!

Comment

A friend came back from Nam and had his unpredictable flash backs of PTSD that would scare the hell out of you. Not much help available at the time so all his friends tried to help.

Comment

Originally posted by fitch270 View Post

I remember those guys from our Hunter Ed. classes. And one of my own teaching partners was just as bad. Total blowhard -- he was one of those guys who think that being a Hunter Ed. instructor means you're Daniel Boone, Jim Zumbo, and Warren Page all rolled into one. Oh, the stories he could tell! He'd seen it all. The other teacher and I would try to talk to him about it each year but never got anywhere.

Another guy I taught with a couple times was a very good instructor and a quiet, humble sort of guy -- but he was horrible teaching the rifle section because, ironically, he was so knowledgeable and passionate about shooting. He'd get totally carried away on all the technical stuff and the students' eyes would just glaze over. It was like pouring a six-pack of Jolt down DEP's throat and then saying, "So, Dave, tell us everything you know about the 30-06." I was just starting out then, and he was the area's Master Instructor, so there wasn't much I could say or do.

I worked the sporting goods department at K-Mart for a while and had a know-it-all every so often -- usually someone who'd hear me helping another customer, assume that the K-mart clerk couldn't possibly know anything about hunting and fishing, and come rushing over to interrupt me mid-sentence. Usually to give bad information, just like the bozos in the Hunter Ed. class.

Comment

Originally posted by MattM37 View Post

I worked the sporting goods department at K-Mart for a while and had a know-it-all every so often -- usually someone who'd hear me helping another customer, assume that the K-mart clerk couldn't possibly know anything about hunting and fishing, and come rushing over to interrupt me mid-sentence. Usually to give bad information, just like the bozos in the Hunter Ed. class.
                I've been that guy.... but always give the best advice! I usually wait to see if the clerk has a clue before butting in. I've sold a few guns and lots of equipment as an un-paid bystander.

Comment

Originally posted by PigHunter View Post

I've been that guy.... but always give the best advice! I usually wait to see if the clerk has a clue before butting in. I've sold a few guns and lots of equipment as an un-paid bystander.
                  I would remind myself, at those times, that clerks who don't know much usually outnumber those who do. And since then, been that guy myself, as well -- though, like you said, after a minute or so of eavesdropping.

Management in the big stores doesn't care much who knows what, beyond the requirements for license and gun sales. Of course, nowadays, it's almost a moot point since the K-marts and Walmarts don't sell half the gear they used to. I worked part-time at K-mart for a total of five years, '95-'00and in just that time, the stock of fishing tackle and hunting gear was cut by two-thirds.

When I was a kid, even the local drugstores carried a decent amount of good fishing stuff.

Comment

I was in a big box store one time, can’t remember which, when I came across a Grandfather and Grandmother in the process of buying their grandkid a fishing outfit. The grandparents looked to be early 70’s and the kid about 13-14. Grampa was trying his best to get the kid to pick up something nice but all he wanted was one of those junk kid packages, Spongebob or some such. I finally had to walk up to the boy and nicely tell him that his grandfather wanted to get him a grownup outfit and not some kids toy he’d break or outgrow before the summer was over. The kid didn’t say a word and set the package back on the rack. As I walked off his grandmother, who’d just been standing there the entire time, nodded her head to me and mouthed “Thank You”. I gave her a wink and a smile.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad