TGIF; Got Rain?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by MattM37 View Post

Reminds me of the Missouri ferry-boat character in "The Outlaw Josey Wales."

"In my line of work, a man has to be able to sing The Battle Hymn of the Republic and Dixieland with equal enthusiasm!"
    Bubba and Matt, you're both on target.

We had karaoke night on July 4th and a guy sang "An American Trilogy" by Elvis. The 1st part of the song has portions of "Dixie" and I removed my hat in respect. The 2nd has a portion of the "Battle Hymn of the Republic" and my hat went back on, but I restrained myself from spitting on the floor. The 3rd part references an African American spiritual. I had to endure the song again this past Sunday when a woman sang it.

All together, the whole composition is hokey but the crowd likes anything Elvis and in general songs with a hint of patriotism. As you can tell, I'm not a fan and can do without it.

For the home edition of TGIF, I realized "Dixie" doesn't stir my heart as much as does "Sweet Home Alabama" and "Rose of Alabama". If you recall, "Rose of Alabama" was also in "Outlaw Josey Wales".

Comment

• "... If you recall, "Rose of Alabama" was also in "Outlaw Josey Wales". ..."

I can seldom recall what I was doing 20 minutes ago! 🤪! LOL!

Comment

• Ok guys, what are we going to talk, er, sing about this week?

I’d like to keep these rolling if folks are up for it. Every week something new or perhaps forgotten pops up in addition to learning some trivia. It’s been fun for me but I don’t want to burn y’all out.

Fair warning, looks like the camper will be rolling again this weekend. If I go silent after starting something it’s because I’m
        out of cell range for a bit.

Comment

• Originally posted by fitch270 View Post
          Ok guys, what are we going to talk, er, sing about this week?

I’d like to keep these rolling if folks are up for it. Every week something new or perhaps forgotten pops up in addition to learning some trivia. It’s been fun for me but I don’t want to burn y’all out.

Fair warning, looks like the camper will be rolling again this weekend. If I go silent after starting something it’s because I’m
          out of cell range for a bit.
          Uhhmmm.....?
          I dunno?
          I'll think about it.
          Songs about your home state?
          Drinking? (Chug-a-lug, Chug-a-lug)

Have we done train songs?
          Songs about dogs?
          Last edited by FirstBubba; 07-20-2021, 08:34 PM.

Comment

• Something to think about.

I "think" one thing that happened to Bourjaily's "Gunfight Friday" was that with a restricted audience (F&S) it didn't take long for folks to run out of subject matter.
            The second thing was the competition aspect. Some folks just don't take well to being told their grampa's squirrel gun plays second fiddle to somebody else's new fangled, scoped, laser calibrated rifle.
            ....and too, there are tons more songs than there are guns.

There's a thought!

Songs with a gun caliber/gauge in it?

Gene Autry - Back In The Saddle Again

"Riding the range once more
            Toting my old .44"
            Last edited by FirstBubba; 07-20-2021, 10:40 PM.

Comment

• Gene Autry sang "Back in the Saddle Again."

"Ridin' the range once more,
              totin' my old forty four."

Comment

• Tennessee Ernie Ford sang "Shotgun Boogie."
                "He's got a sixteen gauge choked down like a rifle.
                He don't like a man who's a-gonna trifle."

Comment

• Yep, songs about guns is a winning topic. That gets my vote

Comment

• Guns it is then.

We might have repeat songs eventually, nothing wrong with that. I’ve listened to some favorites hundreds of times and plan to again.

Comment

• Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post
                      Something to think about.

I "think" one thing that happened to Bourjaily's "Gunfight Friday" was that with a restricted audience (F&S) it didn't take long for folks to run out of subject matter.
                      The second thing was the competition aspect. Some folks just don't take well to being told their grampa's squirrel gun plays second fiddle to somebody else's new fangled, scoped, laser calibrated rifle.
                      ....and too, there are tons more songs than there are guns.

There's a thought!

Songs with a gun caliber/gauge in it?

Gene Autry - Back In The Saddle Again

"Riding the range once more
                      Toting my old .44"
                      That's a great idea, Bubba! Guess who has a bunch of songs that mention guns? Yep, him. I've thought of nine or ten already. I'll have to use some restraint so I don't flood the thread.

Comment

That's a great idea, Bubba! Guess who has a bunch of songs that mention guns? Yep, him. I've thought of nine or ten already. I'll have to use some restraint so I don't flood the thread.
                        Have at it Matt, I make an effort to check out as many posts as possible but often skip by known videos to check out something new, especially covers or live versions. I’ve been concerned myself about over doing it but the more the merrier.

I think imbedding the links helps for two reasons, one is you can actually preview the song without playing it just by clicking the pic. The other is that it keeps you on the F&S page once you’re finished with it, even if you stop the clip before it ends.

If anyone wants a tutorial I could help but would defer to PH if he’s up for it, I’m certain he’d be able to explain it better than I would.

Comment

• Originally posted by fitch270 View Post

Have at it Matt, I make an effort to check out as many posts as possible but often skip by known videos to check out something new, especially covers or live versions. I’ve been concerned myself about over doing it but the more the merrier.

I think imbedding the links helps for two reasons, one is you can actually preview the song without playing it just by clicking the pic. The other is that it keeps you on the F&S page once you’re finished with it, even if you stop the clip before it ends.

If anyone wants a tutorial I could help but would defer to PH if he’s up for it, I’m certain he’d be able to explain it better than I would.
                          Gotcha. I wasn't sure just how to do that.

Comment

Gotcha. I wasn't sure just how to do that.
                            I try to keep from duplicating other's posts, but sometimes, it happens.
                            If it does? So what? It a song posted on a blog site!

Comment

• This is how I post an embedded video:

1) Start reply to the thread
                              2) Open another window and find the video
                              3) At the video, click on "Share" and "Copy Link"
                              4) Go back to the thread and place your cursor where you want to embed the video
                              5) Click on the video symbol in the toolbar
                              6) Paste in the video link

Click image for larger version

Name:	Posting a video.JPG
Views:	19
Size:	166.7 KB
ID:	775925

Comment

• Thanks PH, I just sent him a pm with pics as well. If needed maybe we could start a thread on the process.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad