Ammo aplenty?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ammo aplenty?

Stopped by the Academy in Wichita Falls, TX.
    Long gun ammo was a couple of boxes of '06, one box of 6.5 Grendel and quite a bit of .223 ammo.
    No .308 Win or 6.8mm Rem SPC!
    Long rifle was nonexistent.
    BUT.....!
    If you were into 9mm.....!
    Click image for larger version

Name:	20210615_131722.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	1.98 MB
ID:	773785
    This is just the Federal. There was almost as much Winchester.
    Limit 4 boxes per person.
    We were in a bit of a hurry, I didn't catch the price.

Academy has no love for the .25-06. Probably the 4th or 5th most popular off the shelf round in this part of Texas, right behind the .30-'06, .308, .223, and or the .243/ 6 m/m Rem. but Academy, for some weird reason, never stocks them, or at best, will stock 5 boxes of some off the wall grain load.

Comment

Still no joy in Mudville.

Comment

25-06 is getting difficult to find. When I see it I buy it. Probably going to force me to hand load.

Comment

Originally posted by Milldawg View Post
          25-06 is getting difficult to find. When I see it I buy it. Probably going to force me to hand load.
          'dawg, it appears if you aren't a target shooter or an ammo burner, if you've got 3 or 4 boxes of ammo, you'll probably be okay until the shelves fill back up.

On the other hand, if your .25-06 is a bolt gun, a simple Lee Loader (+/- $40) will keep you in hunting ammo for decades to come.

Comment

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post

'dawg, it appears if you aren't a target shooter or an ammo burner, if you've got 3 or 4 boxes of ammo, you'll probably be okay until the shelves fill back up.

On the other hand, if your .25-06 is a bolt gun, a simple Lee Loader (+/- $40) will keep you in hunting ammo for decades to come.
            IF you can find primers.☹️

Comment

Originally posted by fitch270 View Post

IF you can find primers.☹️
              Yeppers! ...but hopefully!

Comment

"... For the 6.5 CM, I'm using brass with small primer pockets. ..."

Hmmm.....
                how much trouble to drill out a small primer pocket to a large primer pocket?
                Is it ballistically possible without destroying your rifle with a ruptured case?

Comment

The reason I ask, is that Remington 6.8mm Rem SPC ammo is loaded with large primers. All the Hornady and Federal brass I have has small primer pockets.
                  Since I have buttloads of large primers.......see where I'm going with this?

Comment

Originally posted by PigHunter
                    Dang Bubba, it would've never occurred to me to try that. Wouldn't even attempt it for the risk of weakening the case and have a head blowout. I'm betting it takes more skill and better equipment than I've got to get it right. That's even if the final product remains strong enough to be safe.
                    I'm gonna do some research. 👀

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad