Vehicle Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vehicle Question

If you change tires and the new tires carry a different amount of air - can pressure sensors be reprogramed for a different amount ?

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post
    If you change tires and the new tires carry a different amount of air - can pressure sensors be reprogramed for a different amount ?
    The "pressure sensors" are in the stem. Currently, they can only be installed by a dealership and they are about sixty bucks a pop.
    My m-i-l had a "low tire pressure" light come on.
    We did everything. No help.
    Finally took it to the dealership.
    Pulled the tire, broke it down, swapped out the stem, remounted the tire and put it back on the truck.
    It was like $60 for the stem and $60 labor ... just to get rid of the damn warning light!

Comment

They should be able to nowadays

Comment

Originally posted by PigHunter
        What's your vehicle?
        chev Silverado

Comment

Not all vehicles use pressure sensors, our Civic recently started popping several warning lights including the pressure indicator. Turns out the computer uses signals from the wheel speed sensor for that in addition to traction control and other functions. Had two weeks left on the warranty so was no charge to replace. My guess is as long as the tires are equally inflated and remain at the same temps the actual psi wouldn’t matter.

Comment

Don't have those highly technical, involved issues. Most high tech thing on my Super Duty is power windows.

Comment

Originally posted by crm3006 View Post
              Don't have those highly technical, involved issues. Most high tech thing on my Super Duty is power windows.
              Same on my '01 Dodge Ram.

Comment

You missed my question. Of course I know my vehicle has sensors.
                Now suppose you have tires that require 45psi and you install tires that require only 36psi. Your sensors would be going off constantly.

Comment

Tire pressure requirements and tire size are set by the car's maker.

Comment

Originally posted by franchi20 View Post
                    Tire pressure requirements and tire size are set by the car's maker.
                    changing size from that

Comment

If the car is new enough to have TPMS, I'd expect it to have an ECM that would be adversely affected by the change in tire size and cause engine problems.

Comment

Originally posted by franchi20 View Post
                        If the car is new enough to have TPMS, I'd expect it to have an ECM that would be adversely affected by the change in tire size and cause engine problems.
                        no problem there

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post

chev Silverado
                          Call GMC customer service. They can answer your question.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad