Lost a Pet Parrot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lost a Pet Parrot

A special needs Parrot I have had for years has flown up to the happy land. It was a runt and discarded by the Mother. So, I thought I would try to save it's life. That involves feedings every couple hours just like a Human. Well, he was a real fighter, even with a defective leg. As he grew he got stronger and stronger he never let his disability get in his way and never let any of the other birds pick on him. He put all of them in their place. I called him Nighty because those were the hours I remember sitting up with him feeding him formula. I'll show a pic of two just hatched sitting on my glove and another three of Nighty in front. I have 7 more, all the same color including 2 breeding pairs. The three several weeks old is Nightly in the front with the leg twisted back. The one on the couch is Yellow, the full grown Matriarch and is now 26 years old. She sits on my shoulder and looks at pictures in magazines. She likes the bird pictures. Just thought you would like something to read during this low volume
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0341.JPG Views:	1 Size:	1.99 MB ID:	773124 Click image for larger version  Name:	three chicks 1 30 2015 001.JPG Views:	1 Size:	1.07 MB ID:	773125 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1889.JPG Views:	1 Size:	1.11 MB ID:	773126 of articles. BTW, these are Cockatiels and their color is called Lutino. Remarkable thing about pure bred Cockatiels is they have a bald spot right on top of their head. I call them my little Dinosaurs.
    Last edited by jhjimbo; 06-06-2021, 01:36 AM.

Glad to hear you took care of it and not just put it down. Bet it became a good friend.

Comment

This is the runt, special needs bird and just where he likes to be. You can see his leg bent out of shape. If I put him lower he would work his way back up. I think they feel the pulse in your neck. Click image for larger version

Name:	the runt 6 12 13 002.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	983.0 KB
ID:	773234

Comment

On Sunday night's episode of "Louisiana Law" on Animal Planet, there was a guy canoeing and collecting driftwood in the swamps who had a pet cockatiel in a cage with him. He said that he was training it to stay with him, and at some point he'd be able to let it out of its cage and go anywhere with the bird on his shoulder. I thought that was interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by MattM37 View Post
          On Sunday night's episode of "Louisiana Law" on Animal Planet, there was a guy canoeing and collecting driftwood in the swamps who had a pet cockatiel in a cage with him. He said that he was training it to stay with him, and at some point he'd be able to let it out of its cage and go anywhere with the bird on his shoulder. I thought that was interesting.
          I have seen them in camp grounds sitting on the picnic table. what people do is cut their flight feathers back some so they can only go about 5', and of course they use treats for training. The males and some females can learn to talk and whistle songs. Very sociable birds.
          Last edited by jhjimbo; 06-09-2021, 03:34 PM.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad