Be Safe Out There

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Be Safe Out There

Something is in the air because people are absolutely crazy driving. Took a short trip today, about 75 miles. Almost every car was speeding, Passed me on double yellow, rolled through stop sign, you name it. On one 2 lane highway, clear, nice day, about a 3 or 4 car pile up in 55mph speed zone. I saw people on stretchers. Real bad accident for no reason at all.
    Be careful out there this weekend - lights on, drive the speed limit. No alcohol for designated driver.

I hate this particular road when on my motorcycle. There is no 'out'. The ditches are deep so all you have is your lane. I pick another road if I can.
    Last edited by jhjimbo; 05-27-2021, 06:27 PM.

Since I retired, I've lost any sense of urgency in my driving.
    I now drive at whatever speed I feel most comfortable with, which is just about the speed limit.
    I have not been stopped for about 35 years.
    I do not understand road rage, as I have come to expect other drivers to do stupid things.

Comment

I put on about 3,000 miles last week up and around the east coast all the way to Niagara Falls. Travelers were remarkably sane most of the way. However, a little south of Erie PA a maniac box truck driver was speeding, weaving in and out of traffic and harassing drivers. After he almost hit me and just about creamed the car beside me, I followed him for about three miles with the PA State Police on the phone.

It turned out well. We were right behind him and my wife got a beautiful video of him speeding, running a car into the guard rail and wrecking the car, reckless driving, leaving the scene, etc. The Highway Patrol was waiting ahead and I was on the phone with the trooper while following the truck. The trooper pulled out right in front of me and nailed him. It was like you dream of. The driver of the crashed car, his lawyer, his insurance company, the Highway Patrol and Budget Truck Rental were all glad and amazed to see the fine video. I love it when a plan comes together.
      Last edited by DakotaMan; 05-28-2021, 08:08 AM.

Comment

DakotaMan -
        Good post and good work.
        I love a happy ending.

Comment

Now it just depends on how much juice the box truck driver has. If its Hunter, or a local equivalent, the video disappears. Nowadays the law is very other directed. It is more equity than equality in the eyes of the law.

Comment

Thanks 99.
            labradar - sometimes, if you spread enough good videos around they become hard to ignore; especially if you are as passionate as the driver of the wrecked car is. Big money has always had special sway with the law but in general, our justice system works. I don't judge because I know they will all get their day in front of the pearly gates. We all get equal opportunity to be good; some fail.

Comment

Originally posted by PigHunter
              In 20 years most people will be in self-driving cars. Until then it's a roll of the dice on safely getting back home.
              You are right PigHunter. Full automation is certainly achievable. I worked for many years in developing flight operations control software at a top U.S. trunk airline. In the early 1970s, we actually flew a 747 test flight that took off from New York and landed in Hawaii with no crew in the cockpit. We were stopped by the Airline Pilot's Association from going to level 5. At this point, you wouldn't believe what can be done. Had we gone to level 5, 9/11 would never have happened.

We have so much more available to us off the shelf at this point in time. ridiculously lower cost, higher capacity micro-computers, cheap, very high bandwidth wireless communication, GPS, crazy cheap radar, micro sensors, pre-emptive, multi-tasking operating systems and symbolic processors. There is no doubt that in applications like driving a car, computers can beat humans every time. It is like shooting fish in a barrel. You just need to realize that we are at a very early stage of development, but things advance quickly once you get to stage 4.
              Last edited by DakotaMan; 05-28-2021, 08:37 AM.

Comment

Good of you Dakota, too often we shrug and call things other people's problem.

Comment

I hear you Dakota. It just burns me that in 2020 a computer showing dozens of federal felonies and local crimes can be disappeared. The data is out there, but the media and the Justice Dept have colluded in hiding it. Evidence of Criminal behavior by the Vice President and his family. Now the President is guilty of being on the take from foreign enemies.

Comment

Along with the careless drivers and the angry drivers, the well-meaning but stupid can be just as dangerous. It kills me how often someone will stop to wave me out, or let me turn left in front of them, heedless of the vehicles coming in their adjacent lane who aren't thinking the same thing. Then the one who stops gets mad because I'm still sitting there, not appreciating their random act of kindness. Then that oncoming vehicle whizzes past them and they see why I didn't go. I wonder sometimes how many of them learn anything from that.

And good grief, even when it is safe for me to go, it takes longer waiting for the person to slow down and stop than it would have been to just wait for them to go by. But hey, they did something nice for someone!

As for highway driving: I don't know the statistics, but I believe a lot of accidents are caused by people passing on the right. Which they're often doing because of the moron driving too slow in the left lane, like they never learned it's supposed to be for passing.

Comment

The 6yo that was shot in the back from road rage was because is mother gave someone the finger that started the whole thing. Only reported in initial report, never mentioned again.

Comment

I turned in a semi on a toll road once. It was going several feet on shoulder and also in other lane. It had two different color mud flaps so I gave the info to the toll taker and she radioed the Highway Patrol with mile marker. I think it was over tired.

Comment

Originally posted by PigHunter
                          Here's the road rage incident story I remember the most. A 34 year old woman and a 40 year old woman harassed one another for about 5 miles on I-65 South. At an off ramp red light, the 34 yo got out of her car and angrily approached the other driver's window. The 40 yo shot her in the face, killing her on the spot. (and getting 13 years for Manslaughter)

Death at an Alabama Exit (washingtonpost.com)

Woman Sentenced for Road-Rage Killing | Newsmax.com
                          That is a old incident.

Comment

It’s not just road rage, you can get into a bad situation almost anywhere these days. Seems it doesn’t take much to set some people off anymore.

Dakotaman; Great story, except I’d like to know just how you were keeping up with the maniac without doing every stupid thing he was doing.

Comment

I ran into a cray cray on the interstate a few years ago as I was heading home from Alaska. He executed repeatedly dangerous manoeuvres and hung with me for perhaps a half an hour. I thought I had escaped him several times. The police caught him eventually. I have no idea whether someone called them, I did not. It was a 4 am insanity.

​​​​​​

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad