Shooting ethics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shooting ethics

I was approached by a client to remove a male red fox because he was a killing machine . He was killing all the squirrels , rabbits , chickens. And was now after the neighborhood pets. Efforts to trap it had failed so I was ask to see if I could kill it. I decided on my 22 Remington 582 with a 2x7 red field and sighted it in with CCI CB longs. The heavy housed area dictated something very quiet . As luck would have it this big male stayed on the edge of the property the first morning ack at menever presenting a shot , a quick stroll around indicated two very well used trails one at 110 yards and the other at 80 yards . Friday morning I was there before sunrise and at 645 he popped over the hill, he must have notice me and turned and trotted away in the direction of the 80 yard trail . The rifle is sighted in at 75 yards so I followed him in the scope and he stopped at the opening of the trail and looked back at me . I settled the crosshairs on his chest and squeezed the trigger hearing the slow bullet hit and the fox let out a growl .He disappeared into the brush. He ran 20 feet and died.

None of this is any big deal but the bullet I was using was 29 grains and traveling at 720 FPS with 33 foot pounds of energy at the muzzle. Though I have shot this rifle thousands of rounds it was a long shot for the power of the cartridge. I would not have taken the shot like that at a deer or bird at the outside effective range of a rounds energy . Should I carry the same ethics when shooting vermin and predators? At the shot my worry was did he die quickly or was this a wounding situation ? As it turned out the fox died quickly but I was wondering . How do you guys feel about it? Click image for larger version

Name:	1C6E51EF-F5C6-43E8-9B1C-F6CD0B68A6D7.jpeg
Views:	203
Size:	4.78 MB
ID:	772166

Apples and oranges Pmacc. Since you weren’t doing this for sport and circumstances dictated the equipment you did fine. Especially since you knew your capabilities and had put some scouting effort into it. It’s not like you were throwing a Hail Mary from a chance encounter.

Only downside I see is you’ll be the guy called from now on when someone needs an exterminator.

Comment

Originally posted by fitch270 View Post
      Apples and oranges Pmacc. Since you weren’t doing this for sport and circumstances dictated the equipment you did fine. Especially since you knew your capabilities and had put some scouting effort into it. It’s not like you were throwing a Hail Mary from a chance encounter.

Only downside I see is you’ll be the guy called from now on when someone needs an exterminator.
      Lol , I didn’t mind it was much like hunting so it was a welcomed break. Fitch I thought the same way until I pulled the trigger then I was concerned about is it a quick death and I hope I didn’t just cause undo suffering.

Comment

You did your scouting, know your rifle, and know your own capabilities. I see nothing in what you described other than a very logical and well thought out solution to a nuisance animal. From your post, and your thoughts on the matter, it seems that you do have the same ethics and standards about shooting any animal, be it game, predator, or varmint. I think your ethics on the matter are a credit to you, and those who raised you.

Comment

PH -
          We know your views on animal suffering, and that it is the least of your worries.

Comment

Problem?
            I don't see a problem. 🤔
            To echo others.
            This wasn't a "sporting" situation. This was a "varmint control" situation. Apples and oranges.
            Job well done!

Comment

One does not easily forget the picture of a hunter who prefers to finish off a wounded animal with a spear, rather than a quick bullet, so he can savor the "thrill of the kill."

Comment

Originally posted by 99explorer View Post
                PH -
                We know your views on animal suffering, and that it is the least of your worries.
                99 agree or disagree with Pig Hunter but the man is honest to a fault . I appreciate his answer as I do fitch , CRM and FB . What I see from you is a chance to take a shot at a member instead of joining the conversation.

Comment

Pmacc -
                  I guess you don't count the gratuitous insults he throws at me as "taking a shot."
                  You have taken a few yourself, as have fitch. crm and FB on our differences of opinion in political matters.

Comment

You did good!
                    FWIW, death in actual nature is much more brutal, and drawn out, than anything in this post.

Comment

No, I'm straight arrow, and I even have a photo of your good wife. Very pretty.

Comment

https://media.giphy.com/media/10JhviFuU2gWD6/giphy.gif

Comment

Originally posted by 99explorer View Post
                          Pmacc -
                          I guess you don't count the gratuitous insults he throws at me as "taking a shot."
                          You have taken a few yourself, as have fitch. crm and FB on our differences of opinion in political matters.
                          You playing the victim card is as bad as your incessant antagonism and failure to add any valuable commentary.

Thats not a cheap shot, it’s simple truth.

Comment

Ernie - PH would have finished off that thing with an ice pick.

Comment

Stabbing small animals is not the equivalent of military service in time of war.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad