Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Three bald eagles living in Pittsburgh are doing well.

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Great site for watching eagles. Includes cars going by on nearby road and barges on the river.
    Follow Pittsburgh's Hays Bald Eagles!

    Comment


    • #17
      Great recovery program for the Bald Eagles. In the '60's NY was down to two nesting pairs. They traded I think Minn. some trout for some Eagles. Students from Cornell Univ watched the nests 24/7 when they had eggs. Some eggs were taken to the school for incubation. If a hatch fell out of the nest the students were there to get it to the school. All that was in Montezuma Wildlife Reservation right along side the NYS Thruway. NY has 107 nesting pairs.
      In Ohio I think I read we are up to 700+ nests in the State.
      Last edited by jhjimbo; 04-22-2021, 05:56 AM.

      Comment


      • #18
        We have more than enough bald eagles around here. Menace to your chickens and small pets.

        Comment


        • #19
          In Valdez they publish a warning in the paper not to let small dogs out alone.

          Comment


          • #20
            Here is a picture of an eagle's talon and a man's hand for reference.

            Comment


            • #21
              When they were first back in this area, I saw their tracks along the river near some scattered fish remains before I ever saw an actual bird. Seeing those monstrous tracks alongside the usual heron, muskrat, coon, etc. was pretty cool; kind of startling at first, actually.

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by MattM37 View Post
                When they were first back in this area, I saw their tracks along the river near some scattered fish remains before I ever saw an actual bird. Seeing those monstrous tracks alongside the usual heron, muskrat, coon, etc. was pretty cool; kind of startling at first, actually.
                I saw one in Alaska with a fish in it's talons and it was swimming to shore dragging the fish. It was using both wings as paddles until it got to shore then dragged a giant salmon up on shore. The fish was bigger than the Eagle.
                Did you look at the link to Dollywood Eagles? Challenger is now 30years old and retired from doing the free flight in stadiums. His replacement is trained but I don't know the name yet.

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post

                  I saw one in Alaska with a fish in it's talons and it was swimming to shore dragging the fish. It was using both wings as paddles until it got to shore then dragged a giant salmon up on shore. The fish was bigger than the Eagle.
                  Did you look at the link to Dollywood Eagles? Challenger is now 30years old and retired from doing the free flight in stadiums. His replacement is trained but I don't know the name yet.
                  I did check out the site. I'd never known about that place. I saw the thing about sponsoring a waterway clean-up, too, and might actually look into that for some groups I'm involved with -- we've always done an annual outdoor clean-up of one kind or another, might as well hook it up with a worthy cause.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post

                    I saw one in Alaska with a fish in it's talons and it was swimming to shore dragging the fish. It was using both wings as paddles until it got to shore then dragged a giant salmon up on shore. The fish was bigger than the Eagle.
                    Did you look at the link to Dollywood Eagles? Challenger is now 30years old and retired from doing the free flight in stadiums. His replacement is trained but I don't know the name yet.
                    I meant to ask you yesterday, have you ever visited the Derby Hill hawk migration observatory? Here's an article about it in New York Upstate.
                    https://www.newyorkupstate.com/outdo...ch-spring.html

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by MattM37 View Post

                      I meant to ask you yesterday, have you ever visited the Derby Hill hawk migration observatory? Here's an article about it in New York Upstate.
                      https://www.newyorkupstate.com/outdo...ch-spring.html
                      good article, never been there. interesting how they use the warm air currents for long distance. I have been in Erie when different kinds of birds land on the boat. can only fly so far. also i have towed a couple deer close to shore. in the water a little way out and they can not see shore.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        My family used to have a Camp on Lake Ontario about five miles from Derby Hill. Derby hill is a pretty awesome experience on a good day. Just about anything you can think of may wander by, and close.

                        Comment

                        Welcome!

                        Collapse

                        Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

                        If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

                        And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

                        Right Rail 1

                        Collapse

                        Top Active Users

                        Collapse

                        There are no top active users.

                        Right Rail 2

                        Collapse

                        Latest Topics

                        Collapse

                        • Reply to Trump
                          by rock rat
                          Money in politics is a Republican issue, remember Citizens United? Free speech man!. So make campaign contributions illegal. Most contributors of even...
                          Today, 09:43 AM
                        • Trump
                          by Danbo
                          https://www.cnbc.com/2020/04/16/coro...-outbreak.html
                          04-17-2020, 06:15 AM
                        • Reply to Trump
                          by bowhunter75richard
                          Politics has become a total money issue. The ‘dark money’ that was spent on the biden election was in the hundreds of millions of dollars ! The dimwits...
                          Today, 08:45 AM
                        • Reply to Keepsakes
                          by PigHunter
                          I have old stuff not considered keepsakes. So I won't list them.

                          Keepsakes related to the Outdoors:
                          > Dad's squirrel rifle, a Winchester...
                          Today, 08:18 AM
                        • Keepsakes
                          by MattM37
                          Other than the obvious mounts and such, what have you kept for keepsakes over the years?

                          I have my dad's old pocketknife, the blade honed...
                          Yesterday, 07:56 PM

                        Right Rail 3

                        Collapse

                        Footer Ad

                        Collapse
                        Working...
                        X