Bloodthirsty, or just a moron?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bloodthirsty, or just a moron?

Intentionally hitting animals crossing the road.

https://www.newyorkupstate.com/outdo...old-forge.html

I actually know a couple guys who'd probably do the same thing -- I actually thought of them earlier when I saw the photos Jimbo posted of the turkeys crossing the road. What ails these guys?

I had an 80 Chevy 4WD.
    I had just rebuilt the engine and had been driving it back and forth to work for about a month, picking up and smoothing little kinks and hiccups I had missed.
    About 4AM, on the way to work, a buck crossed the road in front of me.
    Deer season was open, but I hadn't had any luck, so I eased the 3/4 ton beast into the ditch.
    Then, I could mentally see antlers piercing the radiator on the newly rebuilt engine. Thought better and steered back onto the pavement.
    The frantic buck made another attempt to go through the hog wire fence, failed, panicked and before I could react, darted back out into the road!
    The only damage to the truck was an imprint of his antler on the chrome hood trim.
    Lost a shoulder and the better part of one ham. He sure ate good! đŸ˜€!

"Wha'ja kill 'im with?"
    "350 c.i.d. Chevy 4WD with half tank of unleaded! One shot!"

I've hit 4 by accident.
    NOT something I want to do on purpose.
    Last edited by FirstBubba; 04-15-2021, 01:58 PM.

Comment

It's bloodthirsty behavior to intentionally hit animals with a vehicle. But I've made exceptions for pests such as poisonous snakes, tree rats, and feral pigs.
      Last edited by PigHunter; 04-15-2021, 02:22 PM.

Comment

pighunter, had a good friend that was headed home. A friend of ours was following him home.
        About a mile from his home, he veered to miss a dog, lost control of his vehicle and wrapped it around a tree.
        I don't avoid animals except horses, cattle, large hogs and humans.
        The rest?
        I'm sorry, I'm not going to kill me and/or destroy my vehicle to save an animal.
        Taught my kids the same thing.

BTW! Killed him, destroyed his vehicle and he hit the dog too.

Comment

Bubba, I've run over a variety of animals including dogs, cats, rabbits, ducks, raccoons, opossums, squirrels, turtles, armadillos, frogs, snakes, lizards, and feral pigs. Most because I didn't bother to swerve, but some because of intentional targeting. (Been very tempted by the neighborhood geese). Sometimes I've had to stop to finish off the wounded, usually with bludgeoning. In my experience, a machete is messy and a firearm is too loud, so I carry a single-bit axe and just use the back side.

However, I would avoid hitting a deer and probably won't target any more pigs.
          Last edited by PigHunter; 04-15-2021, 03:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by PigHunter View Post
            Bubba, I've run over a variety of animals including dogs, cats, rabbits, ducks, raccoons, opossums, squirrels, turtles, armadillos, frogs, snakes, lizards, and feral pigs. Most because I didn't bother to swerve, but some because of intentional targeting. (Been very tempted by the neighborhood geese). Sometimes I've had to stop to finish off the wounded, usually with bludgeoning. In my experience, a machete is messy and a firearm is too loud, so I carry a single-bit axe and just use the back side.

However, I would avoid hitting a deer and probably won't target any more pigs.
            I think the pig thing falls in the same category Bubba brought up in the "Thermal Hunting" thread -- the consensus being, all's fair when the critter is an invader or destructive to have around.

I brake even for squirrels when I can, but don't lose any sleep when the accidents happen. I've never hit a deer or turkey. I did hit a grouse one time -- that I then could not find when I stopped, finally realizing that it had gone into my car's grill and was facing outward like a gamebird hood ornament. Funny, actually, but kind of gruesome, too.

What bugs me most about guys like the one in the article is, most of them are probably hunters, too -- and I wonder what they're like in the woods with a gun in their hands. Not necessarily in terms of wanting to kill -- that's in all of us, one way or another -- but just in terms of smarts.

Comment

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post
              pighunter, had a good friend that was headed home. A friend of ours was following him home.
              About a mile from his home, he veered to miss a dog, lost control of his vehicle and wrapped it around a tree.
              I don't avoid animals except horses, cattle, large hogs and humans.
              The rest?
              I'm sorry, I'm not going to kill me and/or destroy my vehicle to save an animal.
              Taught my kids the same thing.

BTW! Killed him, destroyed his vehicle and he hit the dog too.
              My oldest brother taught me to drive, and one of the first things he told me was, "Don't ever kill yourself to save an animal." (Come to think of it, he said it the other night, too, when I was telling him about all the deer I saw driving home).

Comment

Originally posted by MattM37 View Post
                What bugs me most about guys like the one in the article is, most of them are probably hunters, too -- and I wonder what they're like in the woods with a gun in their hands. Not necessarily in terms of wanting to kill -- that's in all of us, one way or another -- but just in terms of smarts.
                18 year-old young men often have barely enough sense to be walking. In any case it's just a deer and there's plenty around. Deer can be considered pests if you're a farmer or car insurance provider. I'm cutting the young man some slack and don't judge him harshly.

Comment

I have been pretty fortunate in this issue, have hit one buck, a ringneck pheasant that flew into my windshield, and have ended the happy times of a few small rodents. So I feel good about the few instances I have encountered. But it is really difficult on the spur of the moment to not make an attempt to swerve to miss hitting ‘something’, when it is all of a sudden without warning !

Comment

As a guy who drives into the north quite frequently I think not hitting moose and elk should be high on peoples list. Bears can be quite an obstacle too! I've seen some really smashed vehicles with dead elk and moose next to them.

Comment

Headed home from an uneventful afternoon hunt.
                      I'm boiling down a dirt road, in the dark, about 45mph!
                      Out of the ditch squirts 3 or 4 feral hogs and scramble across the road.
                      Just as I get to where the other hogs came out of the ditch, a piglet (10 pounds or less) and a sow (+/- 150 pounds) pop out into the road and disappear under the front of my 1 ton, dually diesel.
                      The truck shivers as the front tire rolls over the sow. Then the rear duals lift and smash as they roll over the sow. I look in the rearview mirror just in time to see the scooter trailer juke into the air as THAT wheel passes over the pig, too!
                      The scene wasn't hard to locate. The big diesel had smashed the piglet flat as a flitter.
                      Never did find the sow. Open pasture on both sides of the road for half mile or more in all directions.

Pigs is tough!

Comment

Originally posted by labrador12 View Post
                        As a guy who drives into the north quite frequently I think not hitting moose and elk should be high on peoples list. Bears can be quite an obstacle too! I've seen some really smashed vehicles with dead elk and moose next to them.
                        I saw a Mazda Miata hit a whitetail on I-65 south of Nashville and the deer was spectacularly launched into the air. The car was totaled but there were no passenger injuries.

Mazda Miata loaded to about 2600 lbs, going 70 mph = 428,646 ft/lbs. So, that should be enough to take down a Tennessee whitetail, just saying...
                        Last edited by PigHunter; 04-15-2021, 05:03 PM.

Comment

PigHuntress and I were traveling an unpaved road after sunset following an unsuccessful day of deer hunting. She was snacking on peanut butter crackers and washing them down with a Coke. I was driving fast and suddenly saw something running around an upcoming curve.

I said, "There's a pig!"

So, I accelerated and rounding the bend, the headlights revealed a crowd of them congregating in the middle of the road! I punched the gas pedal to the floor, and aimed for center of mass.

PigHuntress yelled "Baby no!" But, it was to no avail, I had developed target fixation.

I speed bumped one pig under the left tires and bounced another off the front bumper, over into the right-side ditch. The rest scattered as I slammed on the brakes, throwing the transmission into Park.

I yelled to PigHuntress, "Hand me the gun!" while pointing to the glovebox.

Wide-eyed, she said "What???"

I didn't have time for discussion... "I'll just get it myself", grabbed the .40 S&W and exited the 4Runner.

Moving toward the back of the SUV, a quick glance at 'Speed Bump' showed it wasn't going anywhere. But the 'Ditch Queen' was struggling to rise. Three quick steps and I was standing at the edge of the road, pistol in a two-handed grip, firing at its head until it quit moving. (155gr Hornady XTP hot handloads, later counted 7 rounds fired).

Slipping the safety back on, I finally noticed PigHuntress to my left. She said "The other one is still moving". So, I took a few steps over to Speed Bump and put one round into its head. Safety back on, I turned to see PigHuntress standing there beside the SUV with a shocked look on her face.

She stared at me and said, "You're one bloodthirsty son-of-a-bitch!"

"I told you I hate pigs."

"What do we do now?"

"We gut them of course."

I pulled Ditch Queen in front of the vehicle's headlights, got my skinning knife from the pack, and handed a flashlight to PigHuntress. "How can I help?"

"Just shine the flashlight on where I'm cutting."

I rolled the pig onto its back and positioned the knife for a belly cut. "Yeew, that thing stinks!"

"You think that's bad, just wait 'til you smell the insides!"

Starting at the edge of the sternum, I slipped the blade in and sliced the abdomen towards the tail; moist, steaming stink coming out into the cool night air. It was pretty bad... Next thing I remember, PigHuntress was puking her guts out all over the dirt road, chewed up peanut butter crackers, Coke, and everything else.

When she finally got to the dry heaves, I asked "Can you go back to holding the light? I'd like to finish" Pulling the guts out and piling them onto the road caused another fit of dry heaves but we eventually got the job done.

Speed Bump was too smashed to deal with so I tied the one pig onto the hitch rack and off we went. Good times, good times!

Click image for larger version  Name:	This Little Piggy 02.JPG Views:	1 Size:	4.34 MB ID:	770575
                          Last edited by PigHunter; 04-15-2021, 06:29 PM.

Comment

Pig Hunter, damn it, you made my darn sides hurt with all the laughter ! It’s a gruesome tale, but one of pure pleasure. Thanks, I very well needed something like that !

Comment

This thread is well titled.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad