Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• War of the Worlds

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...4086&FORM=VIRE

I went to see the movie, alone, when I was real young. I had nightmares for a week. Scarred the sheet out of me.

Happy April 1

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post
    https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...4086&FORM=VIRE

I went to see the movie, alone, when I was real young. I had nightmares for a week. Scarred the sheet out of me.

Happy April 1
    Great movie Jim. What did you think of the newest one with Tom Cruise?

Comment

Only saw the original. It was playing close to my Fathers business - almost in eyesight and I think I was under 10yo.

Comment

I liked the Tom Cruise version; never saw the earlier one.

I had a professor in college who said that the big panic, all the people supposedly thinking the radio broadcast was a real news program, was a myth. He had a point, since that was well into the era of the telephone, for one thing, and people simply called relatives or news stations if they were concerned. Also, the story itself wasn't exactly unknown (and like it was pointed out in a different FS thread, more people actually read books back then!)

Then again, this guy was a sociology professor, so he was generally what my grandfather would have called ten pounds of s--- in a five-pound bag. I think he was probably right, though.

Comment

From MattM37: "I had a professor in college who said that the big panic, all the people supposedly thinking the radio broadcast was a real news program, was a myth. He had a point, since that was well into the era of the telephone, ..........."

Matt, my Grandmother lived through the original 1938 broadcast, narrated by Orson Welles. There was wide spread panic, according to her, and though the telephone was in general use, still, a lot of people did not have them installed in homes. Many people, especially in rural areas, went to the general store, or some other business, to use the telephone, as it was the tail end of the Depression era, and many people had not yet caught up with any degree of prosperity.
          She said that during the broadcast, there were notifications that it was a radio play, but still, people were
          panicked, either from not hearing the notifications, or not believing anything could come over the radio, that fantastic, and not be true.
          She said her Poppa, hearing the notification, said he knew all the time it was all "entertainment stupidity", and stomped out on the porch and lit his pipe, occasionally yelling back through the window to ask if the stupid crap was over!
          Follow the link, and see a couple of the original newspaper headlines from October 30, 1938. I think your college professor was either a revisionist or a bit
          dien-cai-dao.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=war+of+the+worlds+broadcast&view

Comment

I see your point about the telephone, CRM -- I should have thought of the year that happened, especially since I was just talking to someone this weekend about the Great Depression. We got on that subject talking about the state forests around here, nearly all of which are regenerated farmland the state acquired when farmers in the 1930s went under or left the area.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad