Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is the printed venue dead?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Is the printed venue dead?

    I called F&S to check on my subscription and talked to a guy in customer service that obviously did not have English as his first language and had to answer questions by reading from a script. Issue No. 4 was the last one sent, and that was back in November. My subscription runs till May so I've been shorted half a year's issues.

    They've redone the main pages of both OL and F&S, leaving out a way to access OL's Q&A from the main page. If they update the Questions pages, how bad do you think it will be?

  • #2
    Pretty much!
    Saves paper.
    Saves ink.
    Saves postal costs.
    No clutter in your home.
    Instant recall online.
    Oh yeah!
    Printing costs and distribution

    Comment


    • #3
      I don't understand the question. Hasn't it been a while now that we've had both of the "answers.com" sites, separate from the main sites? Or was that just FS?

      Are they both quarterly magazines now? I think OL is -- just a spring, summer, fall, and winter issue.

      It's really a shame. The coming of the Internet did not have to result in such destruction to the world of print. Too many people just sat back and let it happen, and too many others were too greedy. The day public libraries start closing is the day I really will run away and live like a hermit. Just me and my books. Maybe a dog.

      Comment


      • #4
        I think OL is 6 issue. The size has really been cut. I subscribe to both magazines. Usually get mine after the postman looks through it.
        I don't care for the pages that seem they are some kind of plastic film.

        Comment


        • #5
          I’m sitting here with Vol 4 2020 on my lap and I’m not sure if I’ve received this years Vol I yet. I’m noticing in the address label there’s no code for my subscription date either. Last I knew I was good until 2023 and on automatic renewal. Thing is I think we canceled the credit card that was connected to. Guess I’ll have to check my back issues.

          Gave up on OL awhile back.

          Edit; F&S is quarterly now.

          Comment


          • #6
            All print is having a very hard time, and legacy web sites associated with the old print are too. The NYT might have a lot of subscribers, but it's generally acknowledged to be a fraction of it's former self, likewise The New Yorker, The New Republic, The Atlantic, etc. Most former print is a skeleton staff of online posters. People post the same information for free. Substack has even cut out the middleman, and writers develop a following via twitter.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by MattM37 View Post
              I don't understand the question. Hasn't it been a while now that we've had both of the "answers.com" sites, separate from the main sites? Or was that just FS?

              Are they both quarterly magazines now? I think OL is -- just a spring, summer, fall, and winter issue.

              It's really a shame. The coming of the Internet did not have to result in such destruction to the world of print. Too many people just sat back and let it happen, and too many others were too greedy. The day public libraries start closing is the day I really will run away and live like a hermit. Just me and my books. Maybe a dog.
              I have the question pages bookmarked separately from the main pages. A newcomer on OL's main page wouldn't be able to access the question page from there. I know the new owners have experience in the online business, but so far I'm not impressed with what's happened to F&S that I've been reading for 50 years.

              Comment


              • #8
                F&S wouldn't accept my subscription when I tried a few months ago. I joined another outdoors forum in case this one is shutdown.

                Comment


                • #9
                  I used to liken the changes nowadays to the invention of the automobile, and what it did to many of the industries before it -- horse trading, livery, blacksmithing, etc.

                  What we have today is just way beyond that, though. Has anyone seen "The Social Dilemma?" I have not, but a co-worker has been talking about it. Apparently some of the key figures in the rise of the internet and social media have actually said publicly that they regret ever being a part of it, and feel that it truly is ruining the world.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Two emails later - no print edition until the new owners are done "evaluating". No new or renewed subscriptions, either. The replies I got seemed to be form letters. Is this progress?

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by franchi20 View Post
                      Two emails later - no print edition until the new owners are done "evaluating". No new or renewed subscriptions, either. The replies I got seemed to be form letters. Is this progress?
                      "Oh, yeah.", he mumbled softly, rotating his head left and right to indicate no.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        LET US BE HONEST FELLAS! This whole up and coming generation can barely read anyway! Gave up on spelling and writing years ago. On line learning will finish them off. Seriously, think about this. Aren't emojis just modern "cave art" anyway?🤔🤔. 😳. 😮. ☹️

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I think that the owners will do away with one of the magazines.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by MattM37 View Post
                            I used to liken the changes nowadays to the invention of the automobile, and what it did to many of the industries before it -- horse trading, livery, blacksmithing, etc.

                            What we have today is just way beyond that, though. Has anyone seen "The Social Dilemma?" I have not, but a co-worker has been talking about it. Apparently some of the key figures in the rise of the internet and social media have actually said publicly that they regret ever being a part of it, and feel that it truly is ruining the world.
                            I've heard of the Social Dilemma . I believe you are right, tech is going to create massive unemployment with nothing to replace those jobs.

                            I heard that Steve Jobs wouldn't let his kids have smart phones. He thought they were very dangerous.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by dewman View Post
                              LET US BE HONEST FELLAS! This whole up and coming generation can barely read anyway! Gave up on spelling and writing years ago. On line learning will finish them off. Seriously, think about this. Aren't emojis just modern "cave art" anyway?🤔🤔. 😳. 😮. ☹️
                              Well said. Perhaps the epitaph on the headstone outside the library.

                              Comment

                              Welcome!

                              Collapse

                              Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

                              If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

                              And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

                              Right Rail 1

                              Collapse

                              Top Active Users

                              Collapse

                              There are no top active users.

                              Right Rail 2

                              Collapse

                              Latest Topics

                              Collapse

                              Right Rail 3

                              Collapse

                              Footer Ad

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X